overdrive for dual rec help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post here. I've had a 3 channel Dual Rectifier (02 model) for a few months now, fulfilling a 15 year quest to own a Dual Rec of some form or another. Coming from a 5150 II, this thing is a beast of its own nature, and I'm loving it.

One question though. I'm using a Maxon OD808 right now, and I'm not loving it. It certainly helps with the attack, but it also leaves things feeling a little "plasticy" if that makes any sense.

I'm using the amp primarily for hardcore/metal that's somewhere in between older Meshuggah, Chevelle, Killswitch Engage, and Scarlet/Spitfire. And I'm hoping to find a different boost or OD that might respond and sound a little better. I'd also like something that allows me to add a little bass back in as well, something the Maxon doesn't afford me.

I've been eyeing the Fulltone OCD, various Xotic boosters, and also the Keeley modded Blues Driver or Metalzone (being a Cannibal Corpse fan doesn't hurt here, know their guitarists use one in front of their Triple Recs).

Can you guys offer any advice?

Thanks ahead of time!

being a CC fan myself i used a metalzone for about 3-4 years. a buddie of mine got a steal on 2 fulltone pedals, the OCD and a Fulldrive II mosfet. played with all 3 for awhile finnaly settled in on the Fulldrive. it took a while to tweek it, but now i cannot go back to the metalzone. keep in mind CC`s MT2` are keeley modded, and i like to take a crack at one of those.

thisundyingfire said:
I'm using the amp primarily for hardcore/metal that's somewhere in between older Meshuggah, Chevelle, Killswitch Engage, and Scarlet/Spitfire

KsE uses OD808s and I think Meshuggah used Line 6 stuff? Don't be afraid to go to like 3:00 or higher on the bass with an OD808.

thisundyingfire said:
I've been eyeing the Fulltone OCD, various Xotic boosters, and also the Keeley modded Blues Driver or Metalzone (being a Cannibal Corpse fan doesn't hurt here, know their guitarists use one in front of their Triple Recs).

None of these are bad choices, but I personally didn't like the OCD with my amp (for high gain anyway, for lower gain it was awesome). It was a little bit too thick, so it may give you exactly what you're looking for. I have the Xotic BB Preamp w/ MB (midboost) and it's nice. Only thing is the best lead boost settings are different from the best rhythm boost settings.

Digitech Mad Monkey - don't let the $50 price tag fool you - it's a GREAT pedal - many folks here use them - me included

To play that kind of Stuff, before put any OD pedal, I would mod my pickup pots for 2M big pots.

That will give you a higher output and more dynamic !

Try boosting the vintage mode. It's warmer and more natural sounding/feeling then the modern mode.
I'm trying to get away from boosting my amps. I also hear and feel that "plasticy" thing too when boosting.
I like the feel and attack better plugged straight in, without an OD pedal and the extra cabling disfiguring my tone.
I used to think I needed a boost to tighten my metal tone, but now I EQ the amp with a different outlook. Sounds better at higher volumes too. Nice and clear and cutting in the mix.

Latest posts

Back