Opinions on Mercury Magnetics Transformers for Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knh6sn7

Reaction score
I have a Mark IV combo, and I was considering installing a Mercury Magnetics OT, Choke, and possiably a PT. I have built a number of amp projects and used their transformers with good results. In speaking with them, they suggest that I would have good results moving up to the MM Axiom transformers. But since they sell them, their opinions may be somewhat biased. Now, I like the sound of my MK IV, but in my ever elusive persuit of tone, I was considering this. My only reservation is this. I have always considered the Mesa to be well engineered amps, and would the MK IV really benefit enough to justify the cost. The OT and choke would be about 325.00 +/-. I was wondering if anyone has done this to a MK IV, with good results.

Thanks

BTW, I am new to the forum, and I posted this in the 91 and newer section, before I realized that this forum exisited.

Where did you find the OT for a Mark IV? I looked on Mercury's website and only found OTs for Mark I-III, 100-watt versions.

They do not have them listed on the site. I have spoken with them frequently as I have recently completed two projects. One was a 59 bassman LTD, that I ripped it apart, and put in a Hoffman board, all new pots (alessandro volume pots), and MM power, output and choke transformers. I bought the parts from Charles at Revolver amps, and I also bought a MM Champ 600 upgrade kit. Both projects worked out well, and I think highly of the MM stuff. Anyway, in speaking to them, I told them my MK IV is my main amp I use, and I asked would it benefit from the transformer transplant. They said it would be a significant upgrade. Anyway, every time I call them I seem to ask the same questions about the MK IV, and I get the same answers. Now I do believe the MM stuff is good, But, again, if I were selling aftermarket transformers that stressed quality, as they do, I guess I would believe that every amp would benefit also. My concern is that the MK IV is a product engineered with a purpose, and not just designed to hit a price point, so therein lies my concern. Also, due to the fact that this amp uses simul class, the output transformer (acording to the manual) is unique. I also had this post on another portion of the site before I realized that there was a MK IV area (I'm new to the board), and I got a couple of responces that expressed similar concerns as I had, but I still havn't found anyone who has done it. When I spoke to MM they gave me a name of a company (Voodoo) that mods Mesa's and uses MM iron. This is another good amp company from what I have read, but they don't mention anything about MK IV mods. It was mostly mods to rectifiers. So based on that info, I was less inclined to persue the issue. But, if anyone has done it, I would love to hear the comments.

I for one would LOVE to get my hands on a MM 220V PT for my Mark IV. I emailed them 6 months ago about this and Patrick said that they were not making anything for Mark IV at the moment. Have they changed their policy?

Hey Trem;

I am not sure; I have spoken to the Paul/Pat on different occasions asking about the transformers for the MK IV, and the responses were that I would have noticable improvement, but I found it odd that they didn't list MK IV transformers on their Axion list. I assumed that they had them, but were not listed. Who knows, maybe Paul/Pat were speaking in general terms not realizing that I was refering to a MK IV??? In any event, I have decided not to go in that direction. I just got a set of Mid 80's Phillips JAN 6L6's, and I must say, I am quite happy with them. Also, two friends of mine tried the MK V, and they were both "foaming at the mouth"!! So, I might just get a MK V head in the near future.

Back