Opinions on Mercury Magnetics Transformers for Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knh6sn7

Reaction score
I have a Mark IV combo, and I was considering installing a Mercury Magnetics OT, Choke, and possiably a PT. I have built a number of amp projects and used their transformers with good results. In speaking with them, they suggest that I would have good results moving up to the MM Axiom transformers. But since they sell them, their opinions may be somewhat biased. Now, I like the sound of my MK IV, but in my ever elusive persuit of tone, I was considering this. My only reservation is this. I have always considered the Mesa well engineered amps, and would the MK IV really benefit enough to justify the cost. The OT and choke would be about 325.00 +/-. I was wondering if anyone has done this to a MK IV, with good results.

Thanks

I am new to this forum, and I have now realized that there is a MK IV section that I should probabily have placed this post, so I will post it in the Pre-'91 section.

Risk/Reward

In this case, the risk heavily outweighs the reward (if any)

Thanks for the replies. Interesting, that just last night I was reading the MK IV manual, and I read something regarding simul-class operation, and it stateded something about the output transformer's unique characteristics to perform this operation. When I saw that, a light bulb went off over my head. And I said to myself, I think it would be best not to "f" with it! I had some concerns to begin with since I feel the MK IV is a well engineered product, and the benefits I have received by replacing transformers in other amps, was I was upgrading inferior transformers to begin with. Anyway, I shall leave well enough alone, and just play with tubes!!
Thanks

As far as the output tranny goes, if the MM Axiom has similar or greater current capacity and the primary impedance matches up closely with the Mesa OT there should be no problem. Believe me, Sergio or any employee at MM would be able to take your mesa OT, measure it's specs and take care of what you and your amp need from items already in stock at MM.

Have never heard anyone say installing a MM Axiom provided inferior tone to before the swap. I have one in my Siegmund Bluesbreaker head, it delivers an amazing sound, it's the Radiospares enhanced version with 3 different primary impedance choices, and a class a/ab switch. Beano tone all the way.

Don't think that changing out the power tranny and/or choke will affect the tone as much as the OT. And you still have the old tranny to swap back if the Axiom does not make you happy.

Thanks for the reply. I do not doubt MM ability to produce a transformer that could work, my concern is that for the cost, will the potential upgrade be worth the cost, and trouble involved. My experiences with their products (MM) has been very good, and that is why I have contemplated the transformer swap, but the transformers that I have replaced were from a 59 Bassman LTD, and a Champ 600, which were probabily not the greatest to begin with, so in comparison to the MM, there is a big difference. I am not so sure I would have the same experience with the MK IV, but if anyone has done it, I would be very interested to hear their comments.

knh6sn7 said:
Thanks for the reply. I do not doubt MM ability to produce a transformer that could work, my concern is that for the cost, will the potential upgrade be worth the cost, and trouble involved. My experiences with their products (MM) has been very good, and that is why I have contemplated the transformer swap, but the transformers that I have replaced were from a 59 Bassman LTD, and a Champ 600, which were probabily not the greatest to begin with, so in comparison to the MM, there is a big difference. I am not so sure I would have the same experience with the MK IV, but if anyone has done it, I would be very interested to hear their comments.

call Mesa and ask to speak with Mike Bendinelli, he's their amp lead tech/guru and very knowledgeable. he built my ex-Mark III (initials on amp) and knows his **** bro!

he'll most likely not recommend it but who knows...

Hey Rabies;

That is a good suggestion. I will contact Mike and see what his opinion may be.
Thanks

On a related note, would ANY Mesa amps really benefit from such mods? I am thinking of upgrading the OT of my Dual Recto but am wondering the same as the original poster (cost vs. Benefit, etc.)......?

fluff191 said:
On a related note, would ANY Mesa amps really benefit from such mods? I am thinking of upgrading the OT of my Dual Recto but am wondering the same as the original poster (cost vs. Benefit, etc.)......?

I still can't recall a post where someone has done it on this forum. I would tend to say no, as Mesa uses a better quality transformer. The only real benefit I've seen heard personally was replacing a sub par transformers. I replaced the Dagnall in my DSL 50 with a MM OT and it was definately worth it. I was perfectly happy with the tone I got out of my ROV and 2ch DR.

With a DR or Mark IV, I would think you'd be better off investing in and trying different preamp tubes.

clutch71 said:
fluff191 said:

I still can't recall a post where someone has done it on this forum. I would tend to say no, as Mesa uses a better quality transformer. The only real benefit I've seen heard personally was replacing a sub par transformers. I replaced the Dagnall in my DSL 50 with a MM OT and it was definately worth it. I was perfectly happy with the tone I got out of my ROV and 2ch DR.

With a DR or Mark IV, I would think you'd be better off investing in and trying different preamp tubes.

+1 to all of the above!

Back