On Your Way Down (featuring the Mini Rec)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiJoe

Reaction score
My take on Allen Toussaint's classic tune about Karma. It's been covered by such notable artists as Little Feat on their Dixie Chicken album and by Gov't Mule from the live Deepest End.

http://soundcloud.com/kiwijoe-1/on-your-way-down

All vocals and instruments by me. I'm still amazed at Mini Rec's ability to deliver a wide variety of tones. I think I was getting some nice, vintage Mark I-like tones in the solo sections.

Hope you enjoy!

nicely done.....dude you sound like tom petty when you sing!!! and that is compliment!!!

good stuff
and a great example of the smooth quality at lower gains

a lot of folk would reconsider this amp as a good choice for smooth blues tones, if they heard this.
at least, i think so.

mix wise, i'd like a little more top end/air on the guitar solo....
i know it's rolled off to be smooth and smoky, but it sounds a bit distant from the mic, with more room sound and less clarity....
but that's a nit pick

masque said:
nicely done.....dude you sound like tom petty when you sing!!! and that is compliment!!!
Thanks, mate! Petty is a fovorite of mine, so definitely thanks for that compliment!
gonzo said:
good stuff
and a great example of the smooth quality at lower gains

a lot of folk would reconsider this amp as a good choice for smooth blues tones, if they heard this.
at least, i think so.

mix wise, i'd like a little more top end/air on the guitar solo....
i know it's rolled off to be smooth and smoky, but it sounds a bit distant from the mic, with more room sound and less clarity....
but that's a nit pick
Thanks, bro. Nit pick away, though. You make such stellar recordings so I value your critique. Anything to make the next recording better than the last one.

Here's what I did. The mids were bumped with the EQ (Fromel Shape) in the fx loop. The guitar (Epi DOt semi-hollow) was on both pups with a slight edge to the bridge. The cabinet is placed in the clothes closet in my office/den/studio/man-cave; seems like a nice iso chamber (and allows me to crank the amp a bit without disturbing the wife :lol: ) The mic is only about 1"-2" away, off-axis, pointed more at the edge of the speaker. I recorded the solos dry then sent that through buses in the board for reverb and delay (around 500ms with 3 repeats, I think). Then I blended the three tracks until I was happy with the mix.

I guess I went for more "space" in the mix because of the rhythm guitar having that spacey echo on it that I recorded using the DD-7 on my board set to about the same amount of delay, basically timed to the tempo of the song. That sort of changed the whole mood and made it feel more Gilmour-ish, something that didn't occur to me until I was doing the final mix. That's the "the recording got legs of its own" in production. It's far from what I originally had in mind when I started, but I just went with where the process led me. I think that's one of the things I'm enjoying about home recording.

Maybe I should just push the dry signal a bit more in the mix, or...?

Any advice or insight is welcome.

Cheers,
Joe

Back