Some Steely Dan with a Mini Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiJoe

Reaction score
Covering the Steely Dan classic. Guitar parts with the Mini Rec on 10W, "modern", gain @ 10 o'clock, master about the same, everything else around noon except for mids @ 3 o"clock, Fromel Shape used for a bit of treble boost for the rhythm guitar, mid boost for the leads. Guitar is an Epi Dot with stock pups, bridge pup used for rhythm and leads, volume and tone wide open except on the solo the tone was backed off to about 7-8. The one thing I'm very impressed with is how clear the note separation is on the rhythm part. Enjoy, and thanks for listening!

http://soundcloud.com/kiwijoe-1/pretzel-logic

Joe, you are indeed a brave soul tackling this one. Great tune, and you did a great job on it. Get you some horns and hit the road bro!

Thanks, Howie. Yeah, I started questioning my sanity when I was doing the drum track, trying to get the fills and the whole thing to sound like a human was playing them; lots of fiddling with velocities on the different drum hits, tuning the toms and the snare, etc. to get there. Once I was done with that and got the piano, bass, and rhythm guitar recorded and was happy with the drums in the mix, I actually started to think I could pull this off. The guitar solo and lead vocals were pretty straight forward, but the backing vocals were a challenge. I'm about 90% satisfied with them, but I wish I knew of a way to get that really thick, lush sound of harmony vocals on the original recording. Thanks for the kind words, mate!

Now that I fear not the drum programming (thanks to Gonzo's advice of "you have to commit to the drum track"), I'm ready for more!

Back