OK tube freaks, I throw down the gauntlet!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fatboy135 said:
so did you know something about the slave output of the boogie 20/20 as you quote and as I could read that lexicon is quite similar to that slave output, isn´t it???
I don't understand your question. Can you re-phrase it, please?

- T

ok that is caused by my spanish native english :D
ok, you say that the lexicon uses the el84 tubes and it seems to could emulate so nice the amp miking condition.
the boogie 20/20 has also and slave output, that slave output becomes from the 8 ohms output, it is attenuate by a voltage divider into a factor 10, in conclusion the 8 ohms load output is for example getting 20 volts and the slave output take directly the signal from the 8 ohms output it is followed into a voltage divider and it is attenuate by 10, so on the slave output you have the same signal that is present on the 8 ohms with the load output but divided by 10.
So the slave output manage a 2 volts output replicate of the 8 ohms load.
With this output you can handle perfectly into another amp, or any other recorder, with the advantages of that signal was passed through the el84 tubes and takes all the tonal features of that tubes.
Even you are tasting with the circuit load, think that the amp response is different with load or in open circuit. Boogie recomends to use that slave with a load or even with a load dummie to prevent amp damage and of course to stress the circuit into the classical 8 ohms response.

fatboy135 said:
ok that is caused by my spanish native english :D
ok, you say that the lexicon uses the el84 tubes and it seems to could emulate so nice the amp miking condition.
the boogie 20/20 has also and slave output, that slave output becomes from the 8 ohms output, it is attenuate by a voltage divider into a factor 10, in conclusion the 8 ohms load output is for example getting 20 volts and the slave output take directly the signal from the 8 ohms output it is followed into a voltage divider and it is attenuate by 10, so on the slave output you have the same signal that is present on the 8 ohms with the load output but divided by 10.
So the slave output manage a 2 volts output replicate of the 8 ohms load.
With this output you can handle perfectly into another amp, or any other recorder, with the advantages of that signal was passed through the el84 tubes and takes all the tonal features of that tubes.
Even you are tasting with the circuit load, think that the amp response is different with load or in open circuit. Boogie recomends to use that slave with a load or even with a load dummie to prevent amp damage and of course to stress the circuit into the classical 8 ohms response.
I'm sorry, you're kind of losing me with all the technical details that seem to be going in several directions at once. I don't really know what exact question you have - is there a question in there?

But I can say, yes, the Sig. 284 has built-in slave outs, so you can clip the power section and run that signal out to an additional amp. The major difference between the Sig. 284 and 20/20 remains: the Sig. 284 is single-ended cathode-biased class A 7W/channel, and 20/20 is fixed-bias class AB (push-pull) ~22W/channel, so there is quite a difference in the power section response.

I don't usually use the slave out on either amp, so I'm not intimately familiar with either. But I am familiar enough to say that there's quite a significant sonic difference, for both, between running through the slave out, and going through speakers. Of course, this changes as you change speaker cabs as well.

Hope that helps!

- T

ok I will try to explain it with less tecnical words.
on the boogie 20/20 there is 3 outputs, the 8 ohms, the 4 ohms and the output slave.
The 8 ohms is to load with a cabinet meanwhile the output slave is to attac a mixer channel for example.
Then the mighty of the slave out is that the signal is getting directly from the 8 ohms output, the slave output is a copy ( exactly the same ) than the 8 ohms output.
The 8 ohms output is just the end of all the el84 chain, so the audio signals travels along the el84 and for that reason the slave output is a signal that has been passed all the tube circuitry.
Well the only tecnical issue to know is that the 8ohms output must to attack a cabinet, and it presents a typical output of 20-30 volts. On the other hand the slave output is for attack mixer channels and for that issue we only need aprox. 1-2 volts, because these is the line level which works all mixer channels, so for that purpose we need to atenuate the 20-30 volts from the 8 ohms output into the 1-2 volts for slave purposes.
For these issue the boogie uses a couple of resistors that atenuate the signal by a 10 factor.
So as far as I could see the slave output on boogie is so closest to the lexicon, the main differences becomes from the boogie is a class AB and the lexicon is a class A
Hope this little explanation was more clearly ;)

oops I forget it, the boogie 20/20 like the lexicon could use the slave out and the 8 ohms at the same time. Well maybe to be more tecnical this is not a could use it is a must to use. If you works with an amp without any load it can burns all your power tubes. So I imagine that lexicon recomends to you to use the slaves in junction with the outputs loaded

The Lexicon Signature 284 does not need a load to be attached to the speaker outputs when its slave outs are engaged. This is unlike the 20/20, which does need dummy loads or speakers hooked up when using the slave outputs.

The Sig. 284 puts out a line level (+4dB) signal from the slave outputs, and if either of the stereo speaker outputs is disconnected, a passive load is automatically connected for that channel (or channnels).

Is this what you were trying to find out?

- T

fatboy135 said:
but the lexicon has outputs to connect directly into a cabinet??? without any other poweramp needed??
Yes - it is a preamp and power amp, with an effects loop, direct out, and slave out. Works great as a stand-alone amp.

- T

fatboy135 said:
wooooooo really???????
i´m from spain but if you could house me for a week i maybe could travel on holidays :D
Yeah, really, but only for a couple of days. You could likely find other candidates in the San Francisco area for the other days. Advance notice preferred. :D

Petaluma (home of Mesa/Boogie) is only about an hour's drive away.

- T

p.s. no soldering irons near my amps!! :wink:

Latest posts

Back