ok, retube time for a IV.....what to pick?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan_kilco

Reaction score
my current set of GT's just started making the ringing/feedback/microphonic noise last practice. I realized that they have lasted about 3-4 years in the Mark IV and never had any problems!

Anyway, perfect timing, of course - we have our first show coming up this Saturday. I was thinking about ordering a standard set from Eurotubes with 6L6 and EL34s.....but I also want to retube the 5150, so I'll most likely get 2 full retube kits, a matched quad of 6L6s for the Peavey.

now, I'm probably going to place an order tonight after work. anyone have ANY suggestions? I play mainly metal/melodic/progressive style. I was thinking about ordering the "dougs hand-picked pre set" but I really dont know if I'll like the end results here. Any input is more than welcome!! I have to act fast and I guess if it comes down to it, and the tubes dont make it in time, I can figure out which tubes are bad in the amp and swap them for other ones that I know work....just much rather have a full, clean, new set. Thanks guys!

im obsessed with the clarity, harmonics and overall articulate attack I'm getting with a quad of Winged C 6L6...I highly recommend them..i got them, as do many other forum guys. also heard great things about the Mesa STRs that the IV was designed around

The =C='s are IMO the best out there. But they are $$$. Ihave JJ 34/6l6 in my mark III and Its cool. Not as good as the SED's I had in there though. I also have a JJ quad 6l6 from eurotubes in my 5150 and Im really happy with the way they sound in that amp.

I play mainly metal/melodic/progressive style. I was thinking about ordering the "dougs hand-picked pre set" but I really dont know if I'll like the end results here.

If you play a heavier style as described, you may want to give strong consideration to Eurotubes' "high gain" kits with either a full complement of 6L6's or the 6L6/E34L combo. I am running the 6L6/E34L array in my MkIVb widebody 1x12 and getting a really cool "best of both worlds" sound from the combo. I play with the amp in class A setting alot for lower volumes (church band) but it really gets a good bottom end addition when I switch over on simul-class. I really love the crunch of the JJ E34L's. You will definately want to go with the high gain front end tubes regardless of what power amp array that you decide on. They have a noticeably better response than normal 12Ax's and they have a nice 'sizzle'. My amp came from the previous owner with the =C= 6L6/EL34 power tubes and "Doug's handpicked" preamp array. I was'nt overly impressed with either (my own opinion)- When I received the JJ's and installed them, the amp gained alot of good low end growl and did'nt sound like a small box anymore.

Back