OD type pedals that work with Mark V - my experience

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alboz28

Reaction score
OD type pedals that work with the Mark V from my experience and opinion:

Channel 1 - Clean - Kanji or Eternity (like a 4th channel) they have their own voice which works well with Fender type cleans

Channel 2 - Crunch (no EQ) - Analogman Prince of Tone (boost mode) pushes it into a great hot rodded Marshall tone ala VH, Dokken, Ratt etc

Also Xotic BB Preamp works well in either Channel 1 and 2

Channel 3 -with or w/o EQ - pure magic - nothing needed :)

General use - Xotic EP booster (adds another dimension of warm/fullness)

Pedals that did not work well (again my opinion)

OCD (kinda harsh)

Timmy (gritty)

Maxon VOP-9 (kinda dark and has a weird clean signal blend )

RockBox Boiling Point - has it's own thing going - could not dial it in correctly as a boost or standalone

CMATMODS Signa Drive - like Rockbox but mine was very noisy

I find myself not using them with the MV. I just switch to the next channel or use the volume control.

I know this might sound crazy but I don't think the Mark series takes overdrive or distortion pedals well. The good news, however, is that you really don't need any!

I'm using TC Nova Drive on Ch.2 Crunch with combo. OD only I find it adds more sustain little more punch. I like it..

Unfortunately switching between channel 2 and 3 has a slight lag time (no pops or clicks just a split second of decreased volume) even in the same power settings. Regardless if its just the reverb cutting out...it sounds hokey. So I use a Maxon OD to compensate. Using the Solo button doesn't quite get the right level of gain for leads for me.

EP Booster all the way leave the default dip switches on the new model and turn the knob all the way down for all channels its truly a wonderful thing!!
For channel 1 using a (push and pull Sputnik Fuzz) pedal sounds amazing!!!

i've had good luck with a modified tube screamer and a few other boosts.

my go-to tone now is using a FET booster into channel 2 edge or channel 3 c+ or mark IV

TimeSignature said:
I know this might sound crazy but I don't think the Mark series takes overdrive or distortion pedals well. The good news, however, is that you really don't need any!

I agree with you which seems to lead to the ever ending quest for tone.....the Mark series in my experience doesn't like a lot of pedals not just OD type. It is very picky all the way around...I could probably write a thread about all of them (Chorus, Flanger, Delay, the list goes on) :?

alboz28 said:
TimeSignature said:

I agree with you which seems to lead to the ever ending quest for tone.....the Mark series in my experience doesn't like a lot of pedals not just OD type. It is very picky all the way around...I could probably write a thread about all of them (Chorus, Flanger, Delay, the list goes on) :?

Yep, and just think... the Mark series takes pedals better than a Rectifier.

i just build a custom OD pedal for someone and did a quick sound demo before packing it up.

There are two ODs here: right side is a Timmy and the left side is a modified Tube Screamer.

Ran this on the mark V channel 1 fat mode in "normal" mode and flat EQ.

http://youtu.be/doq-hz3n5n8

zilla said:
i just build a custom OD pedal for someone and did a quick sound demo before packing it up.

There are two ODs here: right side is a Timmy and the left side is a modified Tube Screamer.

Ran this on the mark V channel 1 fat mode in "normal" mode and flat EQ.

http://youtu.be/doq-hz3n5n8

I dunno man, its so hard to tell what an OD sounds like after its been picked up my the mic, sent over to youtube land and then played back thru my computer speakers. I'm sure it sounds killer! You started with some kick a$$ pedals to begin with!

Back