ocd users

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriz_batman

Reaction score
Hey i am thinking about getting a ocd pedal, but before i do i wanted to know you guys opinion of it first. Also what kind of music do you use the pedal with? and do you guys think it has a good tone?(better than a boss metal zone)

hello
check my thread about the creamy lead tone... the forum guys swear by the ocd... it has to be really good.... and that pedal is in a completely different league than boss metal zone wich i think is horrible...
:)

The OCD pedal really is an overdrive and not so much a distortion pedal. If you use the OCD on a clean channel you can get some very AC/DC type tones.

I have one and I play in a cover band doing Tool, Disturbed, Foo Fighters and other modern rock bands and the pedal works well for me thru my Dual Rectifier. I honestly prefer and Xotic BB preamp pedal to the OCD but that is strickly my preference. The OCD is better than most pedal on the market.

As far as a Boss metal Zone......that really has very few applications(if any) for me. I suggest you try an overdrive pedal and avoid distortion pedals.

ok, thanks but i need help basically in finding a great boost(OD) pedal(any price range) for high gain metal leads to blues,clean stuff, any suggestions? also the amp i will be using it on is the Roadking

love the OCD. love. love. love.

not sure about high gain metal, but it's ok as a boost and a fantastic substitute for low volume thick tube-sounding OD. very musical, rich harmonics and beautiful transparency. you should just get one and find a use for it whenever you can. it's an amazing pedal.

chriz_batman said:
ok, thanks but i need help basically in finding a great boost(OD) pedal(any price range) for high gain metal leads to blues,clean stuff, any suggestions? also the amp i will be using it on is the Roadking

it will take your heaviest channel and tighten it up while giving you a little added "mojo"... what i mean by mojo is that when you dig into your strings, you almost get the feeling like when you crush a baseball or golfball... it just feels like rubber. trust me its a very cool feeling. i dont know how else to describe it but its a great feeling

I recently sold my ver. 3 OCD, and now I miss it. In my opinion the pedal was terrific as a booster (used in front of my Mark I) and solid as a stand alone overdrive. I found the unit to be somewhat scooped sounding as a stand alone overdrive, and the bass can be overwhelming at times. The tone is very good and the pedal has superb dynamics for a solid state device, it reacts very well to your pick attack. Overall, a very nice unit. I will probably purchase the new version (4) which is supposed to have less bass, improved dynamics, and a better volume control taper.

chriz_batman said:
If you like a pedal that colors your tone, you might like the OCD.
I found the Xotic BB and the MI Audio Blue Boy much more transparent. The OCD has more gain, tho'.

I don't like my OCD ver.3 in front of my Express 5:50 at all. It sounds fizzy and un-natural.

I was about to sell it when I tried it in front of my Vibrolux Reverb. There, it is very impressive, like adding a cranked British channel to the amp.

I still can't get a good sound out of it through my Express!

I've got version 4 and it makes my roadsters ch2 brit and ch3 vintage channel go from a rythm to lead in a very nice way :) If you've already got a high-gain sound, it doesn't add too much to it, but with a nice low to mid-gain sound it give you more of your tone, more saturation, and more sustain, and a little volume boost to kick you above the mix.

I play mostly classic/bluesy rock.

I have an OCD that I use with a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I absolutely love it. And it works with either single coils or humbuckers. I have to say I only like it when the gain is set pretty low, though.

But I hate the way it sounds with my Mesa F-30. It sounds scooped & metallic, and I want it for overdrive not distortion. Even with a low gain setting it sounds very artificial with my F-30. I don't know what it is but the tone stacks don't work together--to me, at least.

I have gotten a decent sound from my Strat-OCD-F-30 but not with humbuckers. For that I either use Channel 2 or a Sparkledrive.

So I'd say it depends. You really should try it (if you can) with your guitar and your amp.

NDRU said:
I have an OCD that I use with a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I absolutely love it. And it works with either single coils or humbuckers...

So I'd say it depends. You really should try it (if you can) with your guitar and your amp.

Yes, +1 here, I like this too. It sounds better going into my Fender, in fact, than it does through my LSC. It seems to make the Deluxe sound more forgiving. The LSC is already so forgiving that it doesn't need much more than a boost from the OCD, but in front of the Deluxe I can turn the OCD's gain up all I want and it just sounds great. Mine is a v.3, I believe.

And yes, it all depends on your amp, your guitar, and your playing.

I would try the Bad Monkey first, I love mine with my LSS, and for $50 bucks you can't go wrong with it!! :lol:

OCD users...

How different does the OCD sound from a Fulltone Fulldrive 2?

Steve73 said:
OCD users...

How different does the OCD sound from a Fulltone Fulldrive 2?
In my very limited experience with the FD2, I thought it sounded a little fizzier, just a tad. I think the OCD is a different architecture altogether, and it sounds richer and thicker. The Fulldrive sounded a little more like a distortion box, and less like a tube amp being driven.

Again, very limited time with the Fulldrive, but I was checking it out at the same time as the OCD... I took the OCD. It was more my speed at the time too -- the FD2 seemed like too much pedal for my needs. But, people swear by it.

NDRU said:
But I hate the way it sounds with my Mesa F-30. It sounds scooped & metallic, and I want it for overdrive not distortion. Even with a low gain setting it sounds very artificial with my F-30. I don't know what it is but the tone stacks don't work together--to me, at least.

+1 on the OCD sounding awful on some MESA's, in my case, the LSS. It's off my board now. But my Barber Direct Drive really lights up channel 2 on the LSS. Very compatible. YMMV

What tone are you tring to get? I have more than 75 O/D pedals. I should be able to help you. I would be happy to help out.

As far as OCD there are 4 different versions at this time. I have #3.

OCD does cover a lot of ground. It can also be run at 18 volts which adds to the range.

brianf

brianf said:
What tone are you tring to get? I have more than 75 O/D pedals. I should be able to help you. I would be happy to help out.
brianf

Hey, Brian. I'd love you to jump into the thread I created to discuss this topic here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=30199

Looking forward to your input. Thanks. tom c

jdurso said:
chriz_batman said:

it will take your heaviest channel and tighten it up while giving you a little added "mojo"... what i mean by mojo is that when you dig into your strings, you almost get the feeling like when you crush a baseball or golfball... it just feels like rubber. trust me its a very cool feeling. i dont know how else to describe it but its a great feeling

Would you mind sharing your settings with us? I have both a Roadster and an OCD and I'm curious on what your settings are!

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back