Obtaining Nice Mark IV Clean/Jazz Tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnaLee

Reaction score
Hi,

I was recently lucky enough to get a really good deal on a used 1x12 Mesa Boogie Mark IV. I have been playing around with it so far and really like the versatility. I play mainly jazz and funk/fusion stuff.

Does anyone else around here use this amp for jazz and funk/fusion? I'd assume so...haha!
If yes, could you give me some pointers to tweak this thing for a nice fat and warm clean jazz tone? Maybe some settings I should try out?

Currently I have only really played and tweaked with the rhythm 1 channel for clean tones, its pretty nice. But am looking to dial in something a little fatter, warm, and mellow. I play a gibson es-335 style guitar (Ibanez AS-50) and a Gibson-175 hollowbody mainly.

I understand this is the kind of amp you find your own sound or 'voice' on, but I am looking for a starting point! Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

This thing is a feat of electrical engineering!! Truly an amazing amp!

Thanks guys.

-Mike

I don't play Jazz but I do play some Cleans and I found that turning the Presence down with the Bright switch pushed in, Treble slightly higher gives me a nice "Fat-ish" Cleans that I like.. And yes it is indeed an amazing amp! I've only had it for about a month or so though but definitely no regrets. R3 is simply lovely.

DonnaLee said:
Hi,

I was recently lucky enough to get a really good deal on a used 1x12 Mesa Boogie Mark IV. I have been playing around with it so far and really like the versatility. I play mainly jazz and funk/fusion stuff.

Does anyone else around here use this amp for jazz and funk/fusion? I'd assume so...haha!
If yes, could you give me some pointers to tweak this thing for a nice fat and warm clean jazz tone? Maybe some settings I should try out?

Currently I have only really played and tweaked with the rhythm 1 channel for clean tones, its pretty nice. But am looking to dial in something a little fatter, warm, and mellow. I play a gibson es-335 style guitar (Ibanez AS-50) and a Gibson-175 hollowbody mainly.

I understand this is the kind of amp you find your own sound or 'voice' on, but I am looking for a starting point! Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

This thing is a feat of electrical engineering!! Truly an amazing amp!

Thanks guys.

-Mike

The IV is definitely ahead of it's time and it's still going strong comparing to other amps being made. There are still endless possibilities of sounds in the IV that I haven't tapped into. Keep rockin!

Back