NOS Tubes = Tone Glory

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnqa800720

Reaction score
I finally made the plunge for some NOS tubes for my hardwood, widebody, MarkIV. The brought my amp to life. I loved the tone before - or at least I thought so. I used an RCA in V1, a Telefunken in V2, and an RFT in V3. I did tons of A/B'ing to come up with that combo and order. I am considering swapping out the Telefunken for another RCA. To my ears, the RCA produced the most lively tone - the amp just opened up. I tried a Mullard in the V1 and V2 slots and didn't like it in either as is softened the crunch (although it did sweeten the tone). The Telefunken had a similar effect on crunch as the Mullard, but to a lesser extent, and the R1 & R2 channels sounded much better with the Telefunken. As a disclaimer, I play in Lead mode most of the time with the gain on 8.5, so I like lots of crunch. I always hated how most amps lost definition when the gain got turned up. I found the Mark IV, even before the tube swap was better in this area than most others. Now with the NOS tubes in place, the clarity is present no matter how high I crank the gain, and there is so much more depth to the sound. Even my wife could tell the difference, and she is something less than an audiophile. Highly suggest the RCA's to anyone using a Boogie with high gain settings. It was the best of the bunch by far.

ya man, I just put some raytheons in V1 and V5, and RFTs in V3 and V4..just trying to land on a tube for V2..thinking a 5751 of sorts..but yes..NOS tubes made my Mark IV sound so much more vintage...I have never had it sounding so good

I'll post again if I replace the Telefunken with an RCA in V2. The Telefunken or Mullard are great in V2 if you dig the older Fender rythum sounds - very sweet soft and dynamic tone. They are just taking a little to much edge off my lead sound for my liking.

What did you think of the Raytheons?

Hey James,

Just basic short greyplate RCA's. The label is not clear enough to tell a part number, but most tube dealers will know what the greyplate RCA's are. I am going to talk to some folks about the blackplates, and may try those next. I find it hard to believe anything will sound better to me than the greyplate though. A friend sourced them for me. He is going to give me the info on where to get them so I can order some more as I please. I will post any links to purchase sites on this thread in the future.

Shawn

Hi Shawn ,

oh so you are using grey shortplates i have seen these on ebay, for pretty cheap, though i dont know if they are the real deal. I really want to get a hold of some of these now, you posted this..

He is going to give me the info on where to get them so I can order some more as I please. I will post any links to purchase sites on this thread in the future.

that would be awesome.. Thanks for the post..

Regards

James

On the subject of NOS tubes I tried last night a Mullard CV4024 12at7 in pi and V1 in my markiv last night for shits and giggles and it is quite nice Though it tames the lead channel a tad to much for my liking and took that (i cant describe it) wet sound? that the str420's have, but i really like the clarity in channel 1 and 2. using a ts9 in front on the clean channel sounds divine..
These NOS tubes are fun to play around with arent they , and the markiv is truelly a GREAT amp...

james1974 said:
On the subject of NOS tubes I tried last night a Mullard CV4024 12at7 in pi and V1 in my markiv last night for sh!t and giggles and it is quite nice Though it tames the lead channel a tad to much for my liking and took that (i cant describe it) wet sound? that the str420's have, but i really like the clarity in channel 1 and 2. using a ts9 in front on the clean channel sounds divine..
These NOS tubes are fun to play around with arent they , and the markiv is truelly a GREAT amp...

I can understand the 12AT7 in the PI, but I don't know about in V1. Thats quite a cut in power I'm thinking.

I have the same tube as you in the PI for my current test phase. Jury still out.

Cheers.

I can understand the 12AT7 in the PI, but I don't know about in V1. Thats quite a cut in power I'm thinking.

yeah thats what i would have thought to. but i read a couple of people on various forums saying they liked it as it softened down the lead channel... im only using it in classA triode tweed and it still seems to have plenty of juice...

I didnt like it in the PI so much..I currently used a balanced tungsol in there which to me sounds NICE.

james1974 said:
Hi Shawn ,

oh so you are using grey shortplates i have seen these on ebay, for pretty cheap, though i dont know if they are the real deal. I really want to get a hold of some of these now, you posted this..

He is going to give me the info on where to get them so I can order some more as I please. I will post any links to purchase sites on this thread in the future.

that would be awesome.. Thanks for the post..

Regards

James

Hey all,
so here are a few of the tube dealers I would trust:
-Audiotubes.com - pricey, but very knowledgeable, and great service and return policy.
-From ebay - lowjoltage is a good seller and knowledgeable as well - prices are typically a little lower on Ebay, but can go high.

Also, for reference, The Gear Page did a great NOS tube review called "The Big 12AX7 Tube Test". Here is the link www.tgpwebzine.com/?page_id=83

Good luck

Ultron said:
This thread is relevant to my interests....

I'm running NOS RFTs in V1 and PI on my Mark IIb...maybe I should move them to V2/V3 and upgrade V1 and PI.

Curious why no one is running the RFTs in V1? Too dark?

Because I don't have one ..........yet.

topcat0399 said:
Ultron said:

I'm running NOS RFTs in V1 and PI on my Mark IIb...maybe I should move them to V2/V3 and upgrade V1 and PI.

I think my comment was more aimed at Fronzil....he's running RFTs in V2/3.

Ultron said:
topcat0399 said:
Ultron said:

I think my comment was more aimed at Fronzil....he's running RFTs in V2/3.

RFT's are well known for great distortion, but are a relatively bland tube sonically speaking. You would do much better with a richer sounding tube in V1, and RFT's in overdrive slots. As stated above, I highly recommend the NOS RCA 12AX7, 12AX7A's, and probably my favorite the 7025 (low noise direct replacement for 12AX7).

Shawn

shawnqa800720 said:
RFT's are well known for great distortion, but are a relatively bland tube sonically speaking. You would do much better with a richer sounding tube in V1, and RFT's in overdrive slots. As stated above, I highly recommend the NOS RCA 12AX7, 12AX7A's, and probably my favorite the 7025 (low noise direct replacement for 12AX7).

Shawn

Cool...thanks. What are you recommending for the PI?

Ultron said:
shawnqa800720 said:

Shawn

Depends on your preference, but a telefunken is pretty nice there because it is very transparent, and will have little effect on your tone made in all the preceding preamp tubes, but will open up the soundstage and make the sound a little more 3-D. It may take a little bit off your distortion, but that can be made up with a minor gain adjustment. Otherwise, you can color you tone a little more with any of the NOS tubes (on my Mark IV, the PI slot does effect tone, and will take on some charastics of the tube placed there). I would suggest long plate versions since they will increase the soundstage and 3-D effect. Just watch out for added noise - it may increase with the long plates if not of good quality.

Shawn

Hey Shawn I recently aquired some tungsrams and they are rather nice for v1 v2 make a sparkling clean with a little less gain so might not suit your purpose..but good vintage cleans
PS thanks for the links

Regards

James

shawnqa800720 said:
Ultron said:
shawnqa800720 said:

Shawn

Depends on your preference, but a telefunken is pretty nice there because it is very transparent, and will have little effect on your tone made in all the preceding preamp tubes, but will open up the soundstage and make the sound a little more 3-D. It may take a little bit off your distortion, but that can be made up with a minor gain adjustment. Otherwise, you can color you tone a little more with any of the NOS tubes (on my Mark IV, the PI slot does effect tone, and will take on some charastics of the tube placed there). I would suggest long plate versions since they will increase the soundstage and 3-D effect. Just watch out for added noise - it may increase with the long plates if not of good quality.

Shawn

Thanks for the suggestions. These tubes are for a Mark IIB, so I'd rather not shave off any extra gain, as I don't have as much as a Mark IV to work with. I'll look into a RCA for V1....I'll probably move my RFT to V3.

james1974 said:
Hey Shawn I recently aquired some tungsrams and they are rather nice for v1 v2 make a sparkling clean with a little less gain so might not suit your purpose..but good vintage cleans
PS thanks for the links

Regards

James

Thanks for the Tungsrams review - I have been wathcing a few on ebay, and may now stay away based on the gain aspect you mention.
Shawn

Back