Nomad vs. TOV vs. Rectoverb???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Nomad has better cleans, the T-verb and ROV are pretty close in tone (T-verb just a bit better). The Nomad is a low gain amp and it just sounds warmer to my ears.

The Nomad's best feature seems to have been the clean channel.

While the lead channel may have less gain than a Recto, it is by no means 'low-gain.' It has plenty of gain for most sane amounts of distortion. More gain than my IIc. It doesn't have the tone of most other Boogies in the rhythm and clean channels though.

Just curious...why would you buy a Nomad?
For great cleans with good gain buy an F-50 or F-30.
For Recto tones and great gain get a Rectoverb or DR.
For Blues/Classic Rock and the BEST cleans get a Lonestar.
For an English flavor get a Stilleto.
For a all in one amp/workhorse get a Roadster or Road King.

lookslikemeband said:
Which one has the better clean???

Better response to pedals??

Thanks!

Lance

MARK IV is the all rounder.good gain very nice clean..but i think the nomad has the best cleans out of the 3 but thats really it..if i had to get one of the 3 i would buy a the tremoverb..

You have obviously never tried a Nomad 100 cranked through a 4-12 cab with Greenbacks. Really has a sound that is a cross between a MarkIV and a Marshall JCM 800. You'd be very surprised how articulate and punchy these are. Yeah, it's that good.

(Though not the Nomad 45 or 55. They really need that graphic EQ).

TheRazMeister said:

Thanks!

Lance[/b][/color]
[/quote]

:lol: for the record, when the nomad was out only the ROV an DR were being built. FWIW my other guitarist has an f-50 and still wants it to sound like my nomad. i honestly wasn't amazed with the loanstar. i had a blue angel, so i do like my clean tones. but i thought the BA had something the loanstar didn't. plus with the nomad i get two great sounding lead channels. ( i have the 45w model running 4xel84s which is an entirly different sound for a rock amp to be based off of. maybe of which why my cleans are so sweet sounding) english flavor is great and theres quite a bit lurcking in the red channel. though i flip the vintage switch on the orange channel and start honing in on a very authentic metallica tone from the IIC+ era. :D

this thing is a half mark / half recto beast. and a RK for a workhorse amp?!? :shock: i don't have that kinda money! The 100w nomad head can be scored for 800-900 bucks (or sometimes less) on a good day. boasts 3 full channels with two modes each(clean/pushed,vintage/modern), a 5 band graphic EQ(foot switchable), a half power switch(60/100). either choose 6L6 or el34 (so you can get even more english grit) and still has a solo boost like the rest of the amps mentioned.

the nomads are extremely underated because just as you stated why not get one of the newer more mentionable models from today. but theres a lot to be said about boogies from the past that are getting past over now because they aren't old enough to be considered vintage but not new enough to be all "cool" but lemme say this amp IS indeed a boogie and they knew just what they were doing when they were building it! :twisted:

dylan7620, I agree entirely.

My Nomad 55 (loaded with EL34s) is the best all-round amp I've ever owned or played out of a list that's included most of the big-name models from most of the big-name brands (that are available in Australia, anyway). My only gripe with the Nomad is that its reverb is too weak.

When these things came out, the British guitar mags (Guitar, Guitarist etc) raved about them. When a pro-guitarist mate of mine got one, it produced some of the best guitar sounds I had ever heard (especiall with him playing!), so I jumped at the chance of buying it off him a few years later when he upgraded to a RK. He still prefers the Nomad.

It was only recently that I started trawling the forums and found that a lot of people (mainly in the US) hate Nomads. I know that some of the early ones had dodgy pots, but the only other reason I can think of is that most people associate Boogies with aggressive metal these days, and are dissapointed that they can't get a Nomad to sound like a Triple Rec (and it gets pretty close, especially through a 4X12).

Also I'm sure that there's a bit of a pinball effect-once a few people start bagging them, no one wants to admit that they like them.

I've spent a bit of time playing Lonestars and F50s, and as gorgeous as these wonderful amps are, I can't understand why they get all the kudos. On the Nomad I can randomly set the knobs and pretty much be sure that I'll be getting a usable sound on at least two channels.

The good news is that some people will be picking up a great amp at a great price.

I haven't tried the 100 but when I was Mesa shopping the store guys kept plugging me into a Nomad combo that left me thinking that Mesa's were a bit overrated. Granted, I didn't spend an hour tweaking as I should with any Mesa, but I then tried another Nomad after being a Mesa owner for a year and again wasn't overly impressed. I think I just like the voicing on the newer amps....It's all personal and just as I love my LP, there are those that would rather have a Strat.... 8)

Nomad100 said:

You have obviously never tried a Nomad 100 cranked through a 4-12 cab with Greenbacks. Really has a sound that is a cross between a MarkIV and a Marshall JCM 800. You'd be very surprised how articulate and punchy these are. Yeah, it's that good.

TheRazMeister said:
I haven't tried the 100 but when I was Mesa shopping the store guys kept plugging me into a Nomad combo that left me thinking that Mesa's were a bit overrated. Granted, I didn't spend an hour tweaking as I should with any Mesa, but I then tried another Nomad after being a Mesa owner for a year and again wasn't overly impressed. I think I just like the voicing on the newer amps....It's all personal and just as I love my LP, there are those that would rather have a Strat.... 8)

Nomad100 said:

Yes, the Nomad 100, orange channel, through a 412 is powerful and toneful. This is the way a Nomad should sound. The 212 combo format I have can be too open and breathy at times, but in my Celestion loaded 412 it's tight and punchy. I use both speaker formats, employing a Sound Sculpture PowerSwap to switch speakers cabs via midi.

When the Nomads first hit, the only one I could try was the 55. I was not impressed with the 112 at all. However, I did kind of dig the 410.

The Nomad though is not my choice for cleans. I use a Mesa BLue Angel for cleans.

I own TWO Dual Rectos, TWO Tremoverbs and a MarkIV rackmount.

My set up is complex.... I run two heads at once, one is set for dirty all the time, and one is set for clean all the time. I pan between them to build up or down the songs....

I was thinking of getting something smaller than a TOV for one of my cleans (since it seems like overkill to use a big ole heavy amp just for a clean channel). And it's killing my back!!

I was wondering if a smaller, lighter amp like a DC-5, Nomad 55 or Rectoverb would do for a good clean channel (cuz I'll always use Duals for my dirty).

Dig?

I'd eliminate the ROV if you're thinking combo...it weighs about 75-80 lbs. The F-50 to my ears has the best clean of the bunch in the smaller Mesa category. By smaller I mean that they didn't just take a 2x12 combo and stick 1 speaker in it like the ROV and Lonestar.

lookslikemeband said:

My set up is complex.... I run two heads at once, one is set for dirty all the time, and one is set for clean all the time. I pan between them to build up or down the songs....

I was thinking of getting something smaller than a TOV for one of my cleans (since it seems like overkill to use a big ole heavy amp just for a clean channel). And it's killing my back!!

I was wondering if a smaller, lighter amp like a DC-5, Nomad 55 or Rectoverb would do for a good clean channel (cuz I'll always use Duals for my dirty).

Dig?

Maybe getting a little off-topic, but I'll throw the Stiletto Ace into the mix too. I played the 212 again today, and I must say I'm totally impressed with this amp!

I like the dirty channel on Tight Gain, but the Fluid Gain doesn't get too messy either, even at its highest gain setting. The clean channel on Crunch has plenty of spank. It's just dirty enough with your pickups running at full volume, but roll back the knobs and it cleans up without getting thin! Very impressive.

I'll tell ya', if that one hadn't been green....!

I've played about four Nomad 100s in my area, and I've really liked each one. That is very unusual for Boogies. I had to try five RK Series I amps before I found one I liked.

My best combination would be the Nomad 100 with EL34s, closed back cabinet. With an open back you will get much better cleans, but the closed back will sound great for all around tone.

I really, really liked the ROV, too. Still haven't ruled it out. You get much louder cleans on the ROV compared to the TOV. I've onwed one TOV head, loved it, but the ROV has more clean headroom.

Back to the Nomad 100, you will have three switchable channels, which is very useful to me personally.

I'm using a Triaxis/2:100 right now. Best cleans all around. But I'd like a smaller, lighter amp to cart around to jams as well, so it may be the ROV or Mark III for me. I should add that I do weight training two or three times a week. :?

Nomad100 said:

this man tells the truth. i have this exact setup only without greenbacks, i have the stock g12h75's. and the pushed on ch1 is a wonderful sound to my ears. the reverb is great on the nomads. the graphic EQ is really nice when i can't quite get to "that" tone. ch 2 is awesome. i don't see the need to use a single pedal with this. except for maybe the non-dist. effects or something like a digitech grunge to get heavier sounds. i'm not going to lie, ch 3 is over-saturated and quiet. i don't know how that works out but it does. i use mine through a stock squeir affinity strat it sounds wonderful :shock:. the cleans are amazing.

lookslikemeband said:

Dig?
they get great cleans but you might want to use an eq pedal in the fx loop if you're going to get the 55. which is understandable my nomad is HEAVY! let alone the cab, which is just akward. the nice thing on the nomad is that you can mix in the percentage of fx power on the fx loop. and on something like an eq that gives you litmitless tones. believe me the dist. is wonderful! you should need any pedals unless you're more of an ambient guy. it takes my bp200 just fine. it gets a little dark and i put infront of the guitar, before the amp. but that's what the presence was made for :D

I've got the Nomad 55 1x12. It's a keeper. It gets compliments EVERYTIME I play out. I'm not at all ashamed to set it down next to my buddy's Rivera or Dr. Z amps. It really has a sound all it's own and it's the most versatile amp I've ever played through. It won't get the nasally Marshall tone from the 80's with 6l6's in it but I really don't care. I like the Boogie/ Fender sound.

Joe

Interesting that you shold mention the "nasally Marshall Tone" in reference to a Nomad. The other day, I was playing the new Mesa Stiletto Ace, and I was loving it! So, I decided to try the EL34s in my Nomad 100 again, just to see if I could get close to the sound of a real EL34 amp.

When I played my SG, I was getting convincing enough sounds. This combination, employing a 412 closed cabinet, sounded very AC/DC-like. The top end really cut through.

With my Les Paul, however, it sounded like there wasn't enough power. The signal was very weak, and the LP has stronger pickups too. Weird.

In short, 6L6 tubes are staying in my Nomad.

I also own a Nomad 55 1x12 combo, and agree with using an eq pedal in the efx loop.

I think any Nomad can be made to sound great, though I do tend to favor the Nomad 100 for the better headroom and the built in graphic EQ.

Latest posts

Back