no rectifier tubes...possible???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thunda1216 said:
FYI - my Heartbreaker Head will *not* run without a rectifier tube in the socket even in silicon mode...I found this out when a rectifier tube went south. Tried running the amp without the tube plugged in and on the silicon setting, no go. Has to have a good rectifier tube plugged in to work.
That should not be so, from the schematic. Can you tell a sound different between the tube and solid state rectifiers?

If not, chances are that the solid state diodes are blown. That would leave it in tube rectifier mode only, it will still apparently work in solid-state mode (although what you will really be using is still the tube) because all the switch does is bypass the tube (not remove it from the circuit), but it then won't work if you switch to tube with no tube in.

And the verdict is in....she's a keeper. (so far) I'm used the the type of drive the regular dual rectifiers and Roadster has and I noticed that this amp is something differnt all together. Definitely more mids for sure in all modes in both channels. I had no problem cutting throughh the band mix. I was worried about the cleans not being able to cut through or retain their clean tone without breakup but it did great. It sat right where I usually like my tones. The Vintage mode was a bit dull or seemed to have that blanket over the speakers tone but in a good way. It wasn't harsh or fizzy at all but still had enough gain and that because I use vintage output pickups on all my guitars and I still had to dial the gain bak a bit at times. The modern mode was differnt from a typical 3 channel rectifer or roadster but in the most pleasing way. Clear, defined, no fizz, and nice punch. Not as punchy as the other rectifiers but it could have been the way I was setting it up. I think I tweaked it just right towards the end of the night. The parallel loop actually worked really well with my nova delay once I got everything setup right (thanx to another thread on here) and had no phase issues at all. I am interested in the mod to open up the vintage and clean mode on the forum here. It's supposed to remove that blanket tone. I think I located the components in the amp but was hoping someone would post pics if they had or performed the mod to their TOV. Hopefully someone will chime in....other than that, I was pleased to say the least. A very nice, well rounded and versatile rectifier for sure.

Latest posts

Back