no rectifier tubes...possible???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadKinger483

Reaction score
hey guys, I was wondering if it was possible to run a dual rectifier or a tremoverb with no actual rectifier tubes if you don't use the rectifier setting and you always use silicon diodes.

RoadKinger483 said:
hey guys, I was wondering if it was possible to run a dual rectifier or a tremoverb with no actual rectifier tubes if you don't use the rectifier setting and you always use silicon diodes.

Yes, 100% safe. If you switch to Tube Rectifier there will be no output.

Dom

Thanx guys for the quick reply. I've been a happy Mesa player for about 12 years and I know the whole amp line inside and out but I never really explored this issue that is in question right now. I figured it would be possible but, I just wanted to really make sure. By the way, I found these ( http://www.guitarcenter.com/Groove-Tubes-Gold-Series-GT-SS-5U4-GZ32-Rectifier-Tube-219101-i1598803.gc ) online lastnight and was wondering if these would sound or feel any different than the silicon diode option on the amp? I'm assuming it would be pretty much the same thing. Thanx

ok, I thought it would be the same...thanx for the reassurance. I think I did try those in an 3 channel DR some time back but I can remeber for sure. I usually tend to gravitate towards the tight, punchy feel which is why I live in silicon diode mode. Maybe I'll give these a try instead just for a different flavor/feel. Thanx

one more thing.... I noticed some signs of rust on the transformers of the amp. Is this something to be concerned about, will it alter the reliability or performance of the amp. If so, is there a way to clean it???

Naw man, many transformers will accrue a rush tarnish on them if expose to different environments. They will be ok. Try out the JJ GZ34 tubes if you like the solid state feel more. What dual rec did you pick up? Did you grab that bogner?

sounds good, yea espboogie123 I bought an Uberschall after all, a Revision Blue. It looked absolutely flawless but had a problem with channel switching. It would switch from the dirty channel to clean on its own once I would go past a certain volume and would stay there. I wouldn't be able to switch it back for a while. i'm thinking it was a switching relay issue. I was gonna have to send it bogner and dish out another few hundred dollar to fix it plus, the fx loop on it was mainly designed for rack unit fx although it said stompboxes would work also and I tried it sounded horrible and I didn't wanna have to dish out for a rack unit and midi system so I decided to return it. I wound up picking up a mint condition tremoverb head. Didn't come with tubes except the pre's but I had 6L6's here but forgot I din't have any rectifier tubes but I never run it in rectifier mode anyway so thats why I started this thread in the first place. GC doesn't carry them in the store either. So needlessto say I've come full circle and I'm staying in Mesa territory!!! :lol:

thats crazy bro. I have one spare rectifier tube you can borrow. Look into those JJ gz34s. They're pretty cheap. How do you like the TV over ur old roadster. I played a bud's TV but didn't really dig it as much as my roadster.

cool, I'll hit you up...I am gonna check out the GZ34 tubes for sure, I'll probably order them some time this week. I actually heven't even had a chance to fire up the amp yet. I bought it off my old band mte and he had it in his gagrage collecting dust so I spent a couple of hours when I got it yesterday cleaning and polishing it up and when I got done with that I downloaded the manual and started reading up. Probaly fire it up tonight for sure since its safe to run it the way I like with out rectifier tubes. Time to start building up the rig again for sure :twisted:

ok, finally fired up the amp...and came with a few issues. First, it's making a humming noise on all channels...sort of like a 60 cycle hum that I can't figure out what it is. Second, the channels pop pretty loud when im changing trough them (im using a little planet waves patch cable from their pedal kit just to cycle through) third, the reverb know has to be turned down all the way for the channels to sound normal. If I turn it up the channels get thin with lots of treble and no bass...kinda like am radio tone and there is no reverb at all. Everything else seems ok. Still don't have rectifier tubes in it either....i know you guys said it was safe but im kinda dumbfounded here. I've never had problems with any mesa amps I've owned....

update....got the reverb working and the switching channels pops to stop...everything is sounding pretty good except for that hum. I did notice that the input is a bit crackely when I accidently hit it with my finger. Could it be that of perhaps a preamp tube problem???

Update....I popped in a Mullard 12AX7 in V1 to see if it would stop the humming and it did but now channel 2 in the modern mode has this super high pitched and annoying sound when on and only in that mode when I flip the switch to blues it goes away and doesn't do it in channel one either. Swapped it out for another tube and same thing. Popped the Mullard back in and proceeded to troubleshoot the rest ofthe preamps and it keeps doing it. The pitch is so high that it sounds like one of those hearing tests you take. Can't seem to figure it out.

yea, thats what it was after all, it was V5 which control the loop. Swapped it out and all good. The amp just needed a little TLC. I'm gonna order a full retube soon, I just need to decide on what tubes. The amp is like a rectifier but less thrashy sounding in the gain. Sounds like it would do better in alternative, punk, classic, and hard rock. Can do metal pretty ok as well but I would prefer something else if I was mainly playing metal.

RoadKinger483 said:
Went to fire up the amp today and now it has a really low volume output over all...could this be a tube???

It probably is. If the tubes were old you should replace them all anyway.

Yea, I do need to do that for sure...I'm thinking about going with one of Eurotubes gold pin retube kits. It's weird though because I practiced with the amp for about 20 minutes and everything sounded fine. Turned it off, came back 15 minutes later and it did this. AHHH the wonderful world of tubes!!! :lol:

I'm hoping its a preamp...

FYI - my Heartbreaker Head will *not* run without a rectifier tube in the socket even in silicon mode...I found this out when a rectifier tube went south. Tried running the amp without the tube plugged in and on the silicon setting, no go. Has to have a good rectifier tube plugged in to work.

well...she's going to be pulling her first gig with me tonite. I'm still not running actual rectifier tubes and have had no problems. I'm running a quad of SED EL34's with a mix in the preamp section. I'm running EHX 12AX7's in V1, V3, and V4. A groove tube 12AX7C in V2 and 12AT7's in V5 and V6 as reccomended in this forum and she sounds pretty good here at home so we'll see. The Groove Tube in V2 made a nice differnce in both clean and dirty actually. The amp is not as dark but still has nice gain to it. The 12AT7 in V5 really mad the reverb more useful too. I'll report here to let you know how she did.

Latest posts

Back