next purchase......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laskyman

Reaction score
Alright- been squirrelin' away some clams with the intention of an Axe FX to replace my board (see sig, as I would need to sell it all to help fund the Axe...), and as a stand alone "all-in-one"....but I still kinda want to get a Wampler Triple Wreck.....I could fund a Triple soon, would take months to fund an Axe....
What do you guys think? I wouldn't sell my Dyne either way.....like it too much...but I have also wanted an Axe for several years....
Chime in- I can't demo either piece in person...

Check out the Line6 m13 Stompbox Modeler....I use mine with the 'Dyne and LOVE iT! ...and...it's only $500! Basically the same thing as the AxeFX but WAYYYYY less expensive and no rack to lug...

I like the functionality of the M series, but the effect quality isn't quite where I need it to be....for the money, its a great piece! But I don't want to compromise the quality of the effects to save a little scratch- I have spent a lot of time and money to get my board where it is...I also have a Boss GT8, which I use to play late nights, again- for "what it is", its a fun piece- but nowhere near the same quality as my Eventides or the Fractal Axe...and to be honest, you can't expect it to be...

No matter what I try in all in one units, I eventually always return to individual pedals. Nothing beats them when you have the right ones!

Just my 2 cents

Owning an Axe FX I think it does a very good job in front of and in the loop of the ED.

I also have an FCB1010 midi footswitch. Nice thing about that footswitch is that it has two mono 1/4 output jacks that can be used as either momentary or latching switches. 10$ at radio shack got me an aluminum enclosure, 2 1/4" mono jacks and 1 1/4" stereo jack. I wired it up so that I can run two patch chords from the fcb1010 into the box, then take the stereo cable from the ED footswitch and run it into the other side of the box then into the footswitch jack of the ED. So now when I change patches on the Axe fx using the footswitch, it can also change channels based on how I have it setup.

As far as the Axe FX as a single unit to handle all effects in front of and in the loop of the amp. You and I have discussed.

I think it does a great job, but I can not say if it is any better or any worse then individual pedals. For me it does great, but I'm the type of guy who will practice most of the time just plugged directly into the ED with nothing in the loop.

The downside of using the Axe FX in front and in the loop I have found are as follows.

1. You can get mad ground loop noise. Now, I have solved this completely using the ebtech hum x and the little imp transformer. Now it is quiet as could be.

2. Setting the levels. The Axe FX has two inputs and two outputs. Accordingly it has 2 input levels and 2 output levels. So you need to adjust the input level for your guitar, the output going to the input of the amp, the input level coming from the effects send, and the output going to the effects return. This can be a pain. But once you do it, it is really cood

The reason I use it and refuse to use pedals is 2 reasons.
1. I paid 2K for the Axe FX and another 80 for the pedal. Paying any additional money for something the Axe already does makes me want to puke in my mouth.

2. With my current setup I can alter any effect imaginable and change channels on my amp with a single footswitch press. If I were to start using pedals, I would then have to reinvest into a switching system. And even with a switching system, I would not be able to alter things like amount of gain on a pedal, or delay mix and such.

So I can not say whether it would sound better or not. But I will say that it works and works well IMO.

The other added bonus is that as a stand alone unit, it is just freaking amazing. I can go from recto, to plexi, shiva, to jcm800, to ubershall to Mark series and it just sounds great.

Can you use the 4 cable method with the Axe FX?
Thats my favorite part about the M13...putting Delays and Mods in the loop while keeping OD's out front....

creekhed said:
Can you use the 4 cable method with the Axe FX?
Thats my favorite part about the M13...putting Delays and Mods in the loop while keeping OD's out front....

Yes,

That is typically how I do it.

I almost got the M13 myself at one point. And I think if what I wanted was just strictly an all in one effects unit that could be both in front of the amp and in the loop at the same time, I probably would have went that route.

But I was looking for a modeler as well so I would not have to compromise my tone at low volumes. Something where I could the the amp simulations and cabinet sims and such

I almost got the M13 myself at one point. And I think if what I wanted was just strictly an all in one effects unit that could be both in front of the amp and in the loop at the same time, I probably would have went that route.
But I was looking for a modeler as well so I would not have to compromise my tone at low volumes. Something where I could the the amp simulations and cabinet sims and such

THIS is where I am...although I never thought twice about the M series- a friend has one, brought it to rehearsal, we took out my board and engaged the M, and the M just wasnt "there" in comparison to the Eventides- not exactly a fair fight as the Eventides are quite a bit more powerful and expensive....
I also want GOOD modeling with no digital fizz, aliasing, bogus artifacts...every multi-modeler from Boss, Line 6, Vox, Digitech all have it. I dont think the Eleven Rack is a reasonable option, because it has so little by way of on-board options...so "for me" its got to be an AXE...I am not intimidated by the learning curve, just by the sticker price as I cant afford to have both my board AND a $2000 rack, so it will need to be fully integratable with the Dyne...
Now, the Triple Wreck from Wampler looks to be one of the greatest HIGH GAINER pedal on the market- which is a flavor I want in my rig which the amp itself "doesnt" do....and I could fund one soon....
I hate waiting on funds, and I cringe at the thought of turning my current board, to fund an "unknown"- but I trust guys like Primal and some others on the fractal board-....the waiting is the hardest part

The line M's aren't plug and play...the OD's sound mediocre at best "out of the box"...but...
Once you get them DIALED IN (which is easy) they sound every bit as good as my Barber burn unit...which is saying something.

Latest posts

Back