newb Mark 3 owner... Tube Question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trey85stang

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there that sells a matched pair of 6l6's and el34's for simulclass marks? Do the el34's and 6l6's need to be matched together or does it really matter?

If not, is there a bias mod tutorial somewhere? Im new to this non adjustable bias nonsense.. Id would rather be able to adjust it so I know what it is all set at.

ohh yeah, its a blue stripe, simulclass (obviously) with reverb and eq.

I have one more question now that I mention it.. Is the reverb supposed to be real weak on these? I mean on 10 is only a very subtle reverb. I wonder if the tank is bad or the connections are dirty or something.

First off...Mesa's do not have fender like reverb...it is supposed to be subtle. But at a setting of 10 you should definitely hear a prominent reverb tail...

Matched power tubes are always a good idea...either buy the mesa sets for your amp...or find someone who knows how to properly test the tubes to make sure they fall within mesa's range of qualified tubes (there are a few companies out there that can supply you with the tubes you need).

The 6L6 (inner) pair should match, and the outer pair as well (6L6 or El-34).
I doubt you could match 6L6s to EL-34s (?). Anyway, all four tubes don't need to match, even with all 6L6s. You can buy matched quads, tho'.

glawk said:
First off...Mesa's do not have fender like reverb...it is supposed to be subtle. But at a setting of 10 you should definitely hear a prominent reverb tail...

Then something is wrong with the verb on this one, its very subtle at 10... Ill have to do some checking of connections on it. I dont really use reverb so I its not too big of a deal.

As for the power tubes, Just a matched duet of 6l6gc's and a matched set of el34's and I should be good to go?

MrMarkIII said:
I doubt you could match 6L6s to EL-34s (?).

eruotubes claims to sell them matched.. but everyone tells me to stay away from their integrated quads with a mesa so I figured I would listen. But no one else seems to sell them like that so I thought I would ask.

I second Doug's ... nothing against the other guys. Also, look around the Tubes section of this site for some insight into various experiences with tubes ...

I can say that I have been on the tube expedition for a couple of years until I found what I want - sound-wise. It does not need to be expensive - and I used Ebay and this forum as well as Dougs. You can spend a lot of time AND money = do the research first.

FWIW - I run my purple -stripe with all 6L6 power tubes - outside matched and inside matched - mostly class A mode. That is the sound I like ... many others love the EL-34s in the outside ... My outsides are SED Winged C - I like the bigger bottom and clarity ... of course, the pre-amp tubes have something to do here too. I don;t have any $100 12AX7s ... but I do have a mix and 2 old RCA grey plates are in this amp - I like them.

Good luck and let us know where you end up.

ok, I finally decided on power tubes. I appreciate all the suggestions, but I went out on a whim in some sorts.

I had been wanting to try GT's 6l6ge's so I bought a quad of those (all gc would sell them in) and I had already been a fan of GT's EL34M, so I picked up a duet of those.

Over the crappy EH tubes I had in there the power tube swap was a 100% better in tone and clarity and gain right off the bat. I mixed and matched GT6l6ge's, EL34m's, EH EL34's, chinese 6l6's, eh6l6's, JJ6l6's. And the GT's were much much better then any of the other tubes I already had laying around.

I know some people dont like GT's and I am one of them except in the case of the EL34m's and 6l6ge's they are worth the money imo.

Next stop.. is preamp tubes :D

well, I spoke too soon.. I had a powertube go bad... Keeps blowing fuses... Heres to hoping it didnt take out anything else with it.

I have ruby winged C 6l6's in the inner slots and I just put in a pair of KT-77's in the outer slots tonight (I had El34's in those) and I must say I am pretty happy with the results. I only got to play in Class A mode tonight but it sure does make Class A sound a bit fuller, and the clean channel sounds much better in Class A with the KT-77's in there.
(this a mark III red stripe)
I can't try Simul-class until tomorrow afternoon, but I'm sure I'll like the effect the kT-77's have on it.
Doug can set you up with thus tube set up :D

trey85stang said:
MrMarkIII said:
I doubt you could match 6L6s to EL-34s (?).

eruotubes claims to sell them matched.. but everyone tells me to stay away from their integrated quads with a mesa so I figured I would listen. But no one else seems to sell them like that so I thought I would ask.

I've bought tubes from Eurotubes for many amps, from Marshall to Boogie to Crate, and he always sends me good stuff and fast. When I got this Mark III, the previous owner had bought a complete set of JJ's from Bob with four 6L6's, because they wanted to emphasize the clean. I wrote him and told him the situation, and he said if I order just the EL34's from him, he would pick me out a set that would work with the previous tubes he had supplied. I got them in 2 days, and they work great. So, nothing but good experience with Bob from me.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Bob at Eurotubes as well.
When I need JJ's that's who I go to, when I need something else I go to Doug.

Latest posts

Back