New tubes for my DC-3...what should I get?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzerza

Reaction score
right now I am using Mesa el84's and spax 7's in all the preamp positions. They have been in there for awhile and the other night while playing I got some serious crackling sounds coming through the amp when I played in the lower register of my guitar. seems to be working fine now, and I'm not sure if it is a tube problem, but I'm still thinkin about doing a little switch up.
I was originally thinking about just ordering some JJ's, but was told they are very mid heavy. I would like to contol my mids a bit and would love any suggestions on good tubes for the DC-3, preamp and power. How to they compare with the one's I am using? Someone said NOS but I have no idea what to look for there???

Also...Monsta-Tone, if your reading this, I have always been thankful for your advice, would love to hear from you and I know there is a certain speaker you have recommended for the DC3, could you tell me again what it is and how it will sound different than my Vintage30?

Thanks

Holy Cow...I just looked on Dougs Tubes and am now completely confused...so many choices. I wouldn't mind mixing up the preamp tubes, but again, I have no clue what to get!

I had a set of Doug's Tubes in my DC-5. It really sounded great, with the exception of his tube choice for V4.
V4 is your Clean channel's 2nd & 3rd gain stages. His tube made my amp sound like ***. I changed it out for a Ruby High Gain and the magic was back!

If you order from him, just make sure to tell him what you want for tones. I told him I wanted pristine clean and he gave me sterile Jazz with no compression or expression.

Don't mention other vendors. If you do, prepare yourself for a barrage of insults toward the other guys and a lot of **** talking. Maybe what he says is true, but I didn't care to be the recipient of his ranting.

As for speakers:
Mojotone BV-30H http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/British-Vintage/British-Vintage-Series-12-BV-30H-Speaker-8-OHM-30W-1-5-V
Celestion Heritage 30 (The new Heritage Series is different. This appears to be closest to the pair of Heritage 30's that I got out of an early 90's Marshall Combo) http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/classic/detail.asp?ID=7
Hellatone 30 (I see these on ebay sometimes for ridiculous prices)
Or call Weber and ask them.

I really like the Heritage (G12H30) in my Maverick and loved the Mojotone BV-30H in my DC-3. The Vintage 30's just have way too much of an ice-pick tone for EL-84's. At least to my ears.

Hope this helps.

Other great speakers if you don't want any speaker break up, and great cleans are:
Weber California - Paper Dome - Lightly Doped - Factory Broken In
Celestion Black Shadow MC-90 - well broken in.

Back