New to Mesa, some questions please.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbow

Reaction score
I have just about convinced myself to buy a Mesa Mark V combo in cream/wicker... HOWEVER, I have never owned a Boogie. I got interested after talking to Greg Lisher from CVB and Monks of Doom. I love the guitar tone on all the MOD records. He told me they were all Mark III (he didn't know what stripe) tones and he was playing a Chandler Tele.. SO I became interested in Mesa Boogie. I've looked at the Mark V for quite a while and it looks like an awesome amp. From what I have heard of it, I like the channel 1 cleans and tweed, I like the channel 2 edge and I'm sure I'll find uses for the rest of the settings. I'm not concerned about the weight, perhaps at 80 pounds I should be but from what I have read I can transfer it to a head cabinet if I need to. I guess I can get a hand truck, lol.
My concerns are three..

1: There seems to be a difference in opinion on the C90 speaker, but from what I've read I think it will suit me, if not I can swap it for something else, no problem there.
2: Spending over 2600 bucks on a combo amp concerns me just a little if I get it and just don't like it. I wonder how much value it loses if I were to decide to sell it. It will stay in new condition. Any ideas on this, I don't foresee selling it, I am usually too lazy to sell anything.
3: Are there any other Mesa amps I should look at considering what I mentioned I like on the Mark V. I've thought about the Lonestar Special and the 5:50 Express but I would rather have more than I need than just enough. I've really liked the clips I have heard of the Royal Atlantic too but not enough to get it over the Mark V, I may end up with both.

I have been waffling between a Fargen Mini-Plex and a Mark V and I am just about ready to jump on the Mark V. I am to the point that if I don't go with the Mark, it will stay on my radar until I get one.... you know, it is how GAS works.

Is there anything I am missing? Any reason to not do this? I already have tinnitus, so no problem there. I like quiet tone but I also like LOUD guitar, there is nothing that replaces loud guitar. I've been playing for about 50 years. My first amp was am all tube Silvertone 1485, the one with the 6x10 cab. I've always loved the power of the electric guitar, love to play The WHO, FREE, and various blues.

Enable me... give me a shove so I will order tomorrow! I just found the weight for the head, 40 pounds. The combo weighs in at 80 pounds, so considering the loss of weight in the head cabinet, the combo cab must be REALLY stout. I've handled a lot of 12" speakers and most aren't that heavy. Must be some cabinet!!

Julien

The head is closer to fifty pounds, and I think that the hardwood combo is a bit heavier than the standard Baltic Birch/tolex version.

As for whether it's the right amp for you, that's really too subjective for anybody to decide except for you. I have had the head since 2009, and I'm still finding cool new sounds in it. I prefer it with a Recto 2x12 (Vintage 30s), but I also have a pair of 1x12s with C90s that I can get really good sounds out of.

The thing about Mark series amps is that there doesn't seem to be much middle ground with them-people either really like them, or they really don't. Since you mentioned that you really like what you were hearing from a Mark III, the odds are pretty good that you would be happy with the V.

Thanks Steve. I am convinced I will like it and that usually makes a difference. I am just trying to make the jump. Thanks for the help! I'll find a way to deal with the weight. I haven't bought anything really nice that I really want in several years. I know I am going to get it and I know I am going to love it. I guess I should just order one. I tend to like amps better than guitars and I have all the guitars I need or want... for now.
One cannot have too many amps, right?
Thanks for the push, I just needed an enabler! LOL.

J

Im not a dream theater fan but... Watch this video before dialing in your amp it really helps explain allot about the amp!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kOIx7HbhxQ
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i24e8icZG1o

jbow said:
My concerns are three..

1: There seems to be a difference in opinion on the C90 speaker, but from what I've read I think it will suit me, if not I can swap it for something else, no problem there.
2: Spending over 2600 bucks on a combo amp concerns me just a little if I get it and just don't like it. I wonder how much value it loses if I were to decide to sell it. It will stay in new condition. Any ideas on this, I don't foresee selling it, I am usually too lazy to sell anything.
3: Are there any other Mesa amps I should look at considering what I mentioned I like on the Mark V. I've thought about the Lonestar Special and the 5:50 Express but I would rather have more than I need than just enough. I've really liked the clips I have heard of the Royal Atlantic too but not enough to get it over the Mark V, I may end up with both.

Julien

For #1:
You could do an extension 1x12 if you feel the
need a for a difference. I got a combo with a
1x12 ext cab with a V30 and it compliments the
C90 a lot.

For #2:
Might be easier to offload if you get the plain
old black one...but if I could do it over, I'd go
custom 'cause I don't think I'll ever sell mine.

For #3:
I went in looking at the 5:50, played both and
walked out with the MarkV because it has the
sound I had in my head. I think the clips don't
do it justice. Sounds so much better live and
with a band...hehe...

I would get the head. I prefer the sound of the head with a closed back cabinet. My band plays "Free" and it sounds great with my Les Paul and Channel 2 crunch.

jbow said:
Buy a used one and you don't have to worry about depreciation.

Thanks all. I talked with Sweetwater today and have a call set up for tomorrow to buy a Bubinga/Wicker combo. It is set aside and coming my way tomorrow. It is ready to eat my wallet, sterilize me, and complete my journey into tinnitus!! It will be a good journey, I don't need any more children, and money is for spending. I hope it sounds as good as it looks!! I'm sure it will, I can't wait.
Does anyone know it the AKA Road cases on Ebay are decent? I'm pretty sure I will need the wheels.
Listen for me... I'm sure you will hear me. :D

J

Latest posts

Back