New PUPS marked "PAF"???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe187

Reaction score
Hi,

A while back I swapped out the pickups in a new Gibson Les Paul Class 5. I put new Fralins in it - very very sweet. (I am putting WCR's in it this coming weekend though - I got them recommended off of here and checked out WCR Fillmores and Crossroads. I placed an order today. I'll let you know how they sound...). I had heard from someone on the Gibson Custom Shop forum that this guitar came with Burstbuckers, but I never checked them, I just threw the old pups in a box and put it away.

I was playing with the idea of putting them (the pups that I thought were Burstbuckers) in my 2004 ES-335TD. The 335 had factory pups and it sounded kind of bland. I just unpacked the box and to my surprise the pups I stored that I thought were Burstbuckers have decals that say "Patent Applied For. They have covers soldered on - can't see any other markings and don't want to remove the covers.

I know these are very new pickups, I am not calling the Antiques Roadshow or anything, but what are they? Did Gibson mark their Buirstbuckers as PAF? Anybody have any idea?

Also - if I need to lengthen the leads to put it into the 335, can I simply solder on a new length of wire using soime heat shrink tubing as an insulator? It should stay pretty clean from a noise perspective no?

Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe187,

Burstbuckers and Gibson Classic '57 pickups come with a PAF sticker. The Burstbuckers are the closest replica of an old PAF that Gibson makes scatter wound, not wax potted (except for the Burst Pro which is potted). The '57s (which is most likely what's in your 335) is Gibson's regular/modern take on the PAF....wax potted and not scatter wound (they're consistant/little variation in tone like most modern production pickups). They will also proabably have a PAF sticker on them as well.

As far as lengthening the leads....you can but you will need to have complete continuity throughout the length of that outer braided sheilding so you may have to extend that as well as the lead wire. I had to do this on a guitar as well with '57 Gibson pickups I'd take from another Its fairly easy to find and easy to solder a connecting piece being that its metal mesh...get some flux between the pieces and the solder should take right in, a little dab should do ya...just watch the heat of course.

Those Bursts in a semi hollow 335 could make it more feedback prone though, something to keep in mind. That's probably why Gibson puts '57s in them.

SG

Thats the best answer to any question I have ever posted on any board. Wow! From your comprehemsive knowledge of pickups I'd say you aren't just a casual player. Thanks for taking the time!

Joe

Kinda on topic.....PAF and P.A.F are registered trademarks of Dimarzio. In typical, underhanded, Dimarzio fashion they took a trademark on something that they didnt invent.

The words 'Patent applied for' can be used by anyone

joe187 said:
SG

Thats the best answer to any question I have ever posted on any board. Wow! From your comprehemsive knowledge of pickups I'd say you aren't just a casual player. Thanks for taking the time!

Joe

No problem. Actually I am just that...a casual player! But I'm such a total gearhead, especially with Gibsons ( its a love/hate relationship with them though...love their guitars but they piss me off as a company) I know more about the inner workings of an electric guitar then I do about actually playing them...I'd probably make a better roadie then guitarist :lol:

If you need more help with that pickup swap and lengthening the leads and sheilding let me know...I had to do the same exact thing on one of mine with Classic 57's I bought used...leads were chopped off too short.

Rocky said:
Kinda on topic.....PAF and P.A.F are registered trademarks of Dimarzio. In typical, underhanded, Dimarzio fashion they took a trademark on something that they didnt invent.

Yeah, I've heard that as well. I've also heard that they somehow trademarked that particular color of cream bobbin they use as well. It looks more aged than others..if you notice the other companies' cream bobbins are lighter in color. Don't know if its true or not.

ThatDamnSG said:
Rocky said:

Yeah, I've heard that as well. I've also heard that they somehow trademarked that particular color of cream bobbin they use as well. It looks more aged than others..if you notice the other companies' cream bobbins are lighter in color. Don't know if its true or not.

That isnt correct. Dimarzio has a trademark on double cream bobbins....but not any particular shade of cream.

Latest posts

Back