New Mesa pedals as a boost? Need tighter recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exbest182

Reaction score
Sorry for my lack of boosting/pedal usage.. I just picked up a rev f recto, and I like it about 85% ... My biggest gripe is its a tad loose (as rev f's are). So I had a few thoughts on how to approach... First off, I don't need a brutal tone... I play standard tuning, and would like to tighten and brighten up a tad...

First off - new tubes - recto is tubed with current mesa production tubes

2nd - pre-500 mod, I've read great things about the mod and it seems easy enough.

3rd - boost it - I know the tube screamer and od808 are popular choices, however I was curious if anybody had tried a throttle box, or something along the line of that as a boost, I like the mid cut option, and all that good stuff.. I wouldn't even know how to setup a pedal as a boost...

Also, I use 2 guitars mainly, a 2013 SG standard (57 classics) and a EVH Wolfgang Custom (LP style, mahogany, set neck etc)

I play punk/thrash.. No big shreds or anything like that.. And I don't use my clean channel..

Anybody tried a mesa pedal as a boost?

exbest182,

I have a rev f. dual recto rackmount 'racktifier head' and a rev f. triple head.

I have found the best way to 'tighten' up the rev f is to:

A: get a Recto Cab 2x12, NOT 4x12. I've had both and the 2x12 is better for tightness.

B: Get some decent 6l6 power tubes and a "Rock" Preamp Tube kit from Dougs tubes if you want the mid range frequencies to CUT. This is critical for soloing in my opinion. Do not get the Metal kit, this kit, in my experience is eq'd more for high and low eq. Not mids. I have the rock kit in my dual recto ref f. rackmount head, and the Metal kit in my triple recto rev f. Head.

For power I use the TAD 6l6, and have used GE's. I recommend getting some decent power tubes. I am not a fan of the stock chinese tubes, but that is my opinion.

Then Dial it in using the following suggestions. Before doing anything else do number 1 below.

1: Use silicone diode rectifier,(essential to do this). Orange channel gain switch to "clean rhythm", (set channel cloning...orange to modern). You should get a very usable clean setting out of this too.

Then...

2: Use a clean or mid boost, set modestly, to slam the input of the amp. If you can find one that has a mid freqency bump that should be your best bet. I used a Tone factor "Eleven" pedal for years with great success. It's nothing fancy just a boost that has a mid boost character to it. I also used various overdrive pedals set very very modestly with success as well.

3: Use the fx loop, and max that send knob, (ive always used an intellifex and also boosted the intellifex's internal mixer 3 db, with the fx set at 6 db.

4: Do not max the gain on the amp,(important), this results in absolute MUSH in my opinion. I use about 80/85 percent of the gain, or at about 3 oclock to 3:30
5: Do NOT cut all mids, set to taste around 12:30 to1:00 to 2:30, the more towards 2:30 the more it will Cut of course, resulting in Tightness, but the overall sound will be less DARK. Matter of taste here.
6: Treble around 12:30 to 3:00

The treble and gain knobs on the Red Modern,(this is default when normaled and when orange is set to modern). setting are very interactive. Adding treble beyond 12:30 will give you more fizzy-sizzle, so just be mindful of this interaction with the controls. ( this should be dialed in with the mids in mind).

Set your Bass level last, as this is going to add some bottom, boom, flub, whatever. You do NOT need to max this knob ever ever ever ever. Just my opinion.

One last note: When I first started using the rev f. Triple in 1997 I found a very quick way to tighten up solos was to simply use a wah pedal set at the right frequency.
Hope this helps,

Cheers,

tom

Latest posts

Back