New member, now owner of Heartbreaker combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIkeChandler

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here. I used a Mesa Mk II back in the early 80s, it was a handwired unit (known because I peered in the chassis more than once). It was a real workhorse, and I used it all the way to a studio robbery in 1985. I've been mostly a marshall and fender blackface guy since then. Anyhow I just got a heartbreaker combo - I really liked the amp so I traded a nice guitar for it (my favorite fender no less). I am pretty excited, playing with the sounds I'm digging on everything I am hearing - it's a vintage tone machine!

I have a few questions...

What seems to be the optimal tube compliment? I really like the fender blackface DR tones, so would like to try some 6V6 tubes. Do I need the mesa ones? If so do I just buy two of the duets? Are there any tube tweaks (specific tube swaps) I should know about? How about EL34s?

I am aiming for more vintage style tones overall. Main guitar is an '05 PRS McCarty. Is there a particular pedal that is a "must have" with this amp?

If there's a store house of knowledge on getting the most out of this amp, please point me to it.

Thanks in advance,

Mike in Chandler, AZ

I'm not as familiar with The Heartbreaker. Here's the manual. You won't be able to throw any ol' tubes in it, because its bias is fixed to accept tubes that fall into a certain range. Mesa typically biases the tubes very cold. Dedicated tube stores can sell you sets that fall into the correct range, Mesa can sell you the tubes, you can buy Groove Tubes using their number system, or you can search for the correct current draw and ask a store for something that is close to, or exactly, at that current draw.

Latest posts

Back