New member has questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zizybalooba

Reaction score
Hello, I'm the new guy here. In the past I've used mostly Fender amps. I've also gone thru a few preamp/poweramp setups, and most recently I've been using Yamaha DG stuff. Now I'm in the market for a Mesa Boogie 100 watt 12" combo and after wandering around the Internet looking at amps I have a few questions for the elders here that I can't find answers to in any FAQ listing.

1. I've narrowed my search down to a Mark I,II or III. What are the differences between these models?

2. Red stripe, green stripe, purple stripe. What's the deal with the stripes?

3. Simul Class, what is it? Do I need it or want it.

My regular use for tube amps is to get a clean, warn full sound from the amp and to rely on external stuff for distortion. So in searching for a Mesa Boogie what I'm really looking for is a Fender Twin minus 1 speaker. Thanks for the help.

ohh boy,your not intending on using your mesa for gain sounds!!!!! thats what these things live for man,anyways

Im no elder but I can give a very brief overview if the amps you are askin of

The Mark series are thought of as thee mesa boogies to go for,amazing cleans and outragous gain(minus the MKI)

The MKI started it off after the modded fenders,these badboys have seroius gain but not anywhere close to a MKIIC+,great cleans IMHO,and some great distortion sounds,have a listen to early santana

The MKII is probably the most sought after mesa range,especially the MKIIc+,The mark 2's come in diferent revisions,A,B and C,the C range being the final and somewhat better,these were then available to mod from Mesa/Mike B.,What was in the mod Im not exactly sure to be honest,it meant simulclassing the Transformer,adding EQ,reverb etc,the result-a totally smooth amp and probably the best amp on the planet,have a listen to Dream Theaters Images and words,its all over that Album

The MKIII's come in different 'stripes',each stripe having a different result in the overall tone by certain parts being changed/upgraded,I will post a site to you after i find it!!on here it will tell you all you need to know about stripes

Simul Class basically smoothens out your amp,Im sure someone like boogiebabies could go over everything I posted in great detail

I think what you should consider would be a MKIV,one,you can still buy them new.Two they have all the features you want(I think) and more,three they are one of the most if not thee most versitile amp every,Four they are just fantastic and Im gonna be purchasing one next!!!!

this is just a really basic going over of what you have wanted to know,this topic is very wide!!!

hope that helped any

zizybalooba said:
My regular use for tube amps is to get a clean, warn full sound from the amp and to rely on external stuff for distortion.

BAN!

Seriously, you should get a mesa for its distortion.

If you want to get a clean sound and use external stuff, get a Roland JC120 or something.

+1 for the MKIV

Not rated at 100 watts, but it will cut heads off of 4x12's running 100's (excluding our Modern Mesa).

zizybalooba said:
My regular use for tube amps is to get a clean, warn full sound from the amp and to rely on external stuff for distortion.

Not for long!!! Not if you get a Mark :D

I agree with everything above.

Once you hear the distortion on a Mesa, especially something like a Mark4 or what have you, you will literally throw your distortion pedals in the trash and pay the garbageman to take them away! Be gone Satan!! lol

If you are looking for uber clean sounds like a Fender, the Lonestar is the only amp for you. It also has some great overdrives on the other channels.

Otherwise, any of the Mark amps---I through 4---will get you covered. All of them have great cleans. Where these amps differ the most is in the gain channels. MarkI has the lowest gain, but is very smooth (Santana). MarkIIC+ has the most gain out of the MarkII line. MarkIII is similar to a C+, but not really....it lacks a lot of the smoothness that the C+ has. There are many stripe versions, with the Green stripe being the closest in sound to a C+. Finally you have the Mark4, whose preamp was desgined with the C+ in mind. It has so many features it's ridiculous. It is again not as smooth as a C+, but still close. It makes up for it in the features and diversity it can give you.

I wouldn't get a C+ if you are only after clean sounds....it's almost like you'd be doing the amp an injustice by not using its heinous gain.

Lastly, SimulCLass is a Mesa-only feature (if i recall) that allows you to mix both 6l6 and el34 tubes at the same time. You get the best of both worlds and the sound is awesome! It really smoothens out the tone. There's a lot more to simulclass than that, but it can get technical and I wouldn't do as good of a job explaining it. Read the article "Class A explained" on the Mesa website for more info...

Elpelotero said:
Once you hear the distortion on a Mesa, especially something like a Mark4 or what have you, you will literally throw your distortion pedals in the trash and pay the garbageman to take them away! Be gone Satan!! lol

Thanks for eveyone's input here. I've certainly been given plenty to chew on to help my search. I've sorry if my application for a Boogie doesn't agree with some people, but everyone won't always have the same needs. For a very long time I'm worked in the world of MIDI controlled programable stuff and the flexibility of that world is something I enjoy. Since the early 80's I've used many different preamps for my central sound, including the Triaxis, and have always used a good warm clean amp as a delivery system for whatever I'm using. Since their birth I've seen Boogies as sort of a Fender on steroids (which they were at the beginning, right?) and thought one would work well for my needs. I know the lengendary Boogie lead sound with its over the top sustain is what most Boogie players love about their amps. For me it will be the punch in the gut warmth and the arrogant presence of 100 watts of tube power being kicked out of a single 12" speaker that's bringing me to the table.

zizybalooba said:
I've sorry if my application for a Boogie doesn't agree with some people, but everyone won't always have the same needs.
If we all did it the same way it would be very boring.
I’m still thinking if you get one you might give in to the dark side
:shock:

If you do please let us all know!

Back