New Mark V:35 - what headphones & USB audio interface?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zem100

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just got my new 35W head as it has been a few years since I have played and as motivation to get back into i, I treated myself to this new head. Nearly bought the 25W but liked the extra features and was sold on extra headroom of the 25....not that I am gigging yet.

Downsizing from a JCM2000 DSL100 I went with the 35 as the ability to switch to 10W for home use was appealing (live in an apartment). Man, 10W is still LOUD! I'm running it through my 1960A cab - tried both 4x12 and 2x12 output and she still screams. Might like at either 2 x 1x12s or a 2x12 vertical cab down the track but that is another topic.

I am still experimenting with the amp and initial thoughts are that it is not as warm as my Marshall and has a lot more brightness and attack. I'll park my review here and add it to the appropriate thread.

QUESTION:

So I am after recommendations for headphone so I can get a good tone out of my Cabclone and jam at night. If you suggest going into a little mixer before my iMac then I'm open to that and have been looking at this 2 channel bit of tech https://global.focusrite.com/scarlett-range as I want to mic up the cab as well.

What frequency range headphones should I be looking at to suit guitar, or is it not as scientific as that?
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Zem

I use my 90w Mark V with a Torpedo Live and I absolutely love my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (I got the 80 ohm version). They are closed cans. Some people prefer open cans, but it depends whether you want sound isolation (closed) or not (open). With open cans, people around you WILL hear it. I prefer closed for the isolation and booming bass. :)

This guy has tons of recommendations on various cans, though not specific to guitar playback:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/3ttvhy/guide_headphones_general_music/

Still, his youtube channel has very in-depth reviews on all kinds of audio components.

Latest posts

Back