New Lonestar Special!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjtelarson

Reaction score
First of all I am new to this forum and to Mesa amps. I just picked up a Lonestar Special 1x12 combo and I love it :). Just curious to see if anyone has input for me on a few questions...
- Any break-in do's or do not's?
- What options are you using other than the stock tubes (I do not mind playing around with the tubes to check out varieties)?
- What about using the different options for the speaker connection?
- What are you using for the best cleans and what about getting the most clean headroom?
- any other useful info that I may enjoy about this new amp?

Many Thanks in advance for any input.

J.

jjtelarson said:
First of all I am new to this forum and to Mesa amps. I just picked up a Lonestar Special 1x12 combo and I love it :). Just curious to see if anyone has input for me on a few questions...
- Any break-in do's or do not's?
- What options are you using other than the stock tubes (I do not mind playing around with the tubes to check out varieties)?
- What about using the different options for the speaker connection?
- What are you using for the best cleans and what about getting the most clean headroom?
- any other useful info that I may enjoy about this new amp?

Many Thanks in advance for any input.

J.

Congratulations on your new LSS and welcome to the board. I'm sure you'll get lots of help here. I have a couple things that might be of help to you.

The stock rectifier tube is a common failure and you'll know it by the amp working only in the 30 watt mode. I replaced mine with a NOS RCA tube when it quit. It's an easy fix and you may want to keep one on hand. I'm still using the stock tubes otherwise so I can't help you with that question.

I get the best cleans on channel one by using the 30 watt mode and mostly use the 5 watt mode on channel two for a nice overdrive sound.

I have the speaker connected to the standard output jack but some people here have used the 4 ohm output with good results. It's something you'll have to decide for yourself.

I wouldn't worry too much about breaking it in but the speaker may take a little while to sound it's best.

Enjoy!

Congrats, they are great amps!!

- I don't think there are any break-in tips for LSS's. Besides the usual speaker break-in with any new amp
- I have had the best luck with JJ EL84's in the power section and Tung Sol 12ax7's in the preamp, though the JJ 12ax7's sounded good as well. I haven't messed with NOS stuff yet in it. I also did both Reeder mods which improved Channel 2.
- I found that I liked the 8 ohm speaker output the best. It sounded the least compressed and sounded more open.
- For the best cleans and headroom on channel 1, I don't put the Gain past noon and adjust the Master to where I need it to be.
- From reading the manual, the EQ is very sensitive so small adjustments are the best. The amp is dark so I'd start with the Bass at zero and bring it up to where it sounds good. It isn't a good amp to start with all of the EQ knobs at noon like a Fender amp.

Hi

I use JJ el84s, and like the electro harmonix eh tubes for the preamp; found the jj 12ax7s a little dark. I totally agree with steve73 regarding the tone controls: I have found the key to getting good sounds, especially on channel 2 is to forget any preconceived ideas you may have from using other amps. After some advice from the board channel 2 has the treble way up, and mids and bass way down, with the presence at around 10 o'clock. The presence control really brightens things up but can make overdrive sounds a bit fizzy and unpleasant if set too high. These settings are with the amp on 5 watts and the thick switch on normal. It really sounds great. I am probably going to try the Reeder pot-switch mod. I currently have the speaker plugged into the 4 ohm socket.

Hears my 5 cents You need to turn it up loud, eg for a laid back bar gig the venue will not be loud enough to get into its sweet spot of clarity and top end bliss (next time I will try the 30 watt speaker setting, I generally use 35 for clean head room).

Output cranked to 3 (solo all the way up) and using the master as your volume control gives it a bouncy glassy sound.

As an alternate try on channel 2 drive disengaged, master at 3 oclock or above to get your overdrive and set to 5 what - gets a very pick sensitive overdrive that has a brighter characteristic (but hard to balance in channel 1 with a clean setting).

Note that the treble and loop send level increase the gain plenty (I find I am always fighting the gain as the E B and G strings become a blur on channel 2 but less so with the output cranked).

I am currently plaing with the mids bass and presence all at at about 9 and the treble at 1 with the volume settings above. I have JJtubes and can't wait to have the dillips to put in a speaker with more pronounced top end. I am also considring an eq pedal for the loop to try and juggle different guitars/contain the Les Paul (tele is a perfect fit - you do get a AU$4,000 sound, 335 is OK, Les Paul well the eq just sounds wrong to me on channel 2).

Listen to Living in a World Gone made by Dumpstaphunk for an awesome Tele sound: http://www.myspace.com/dumpstaphunk

Regards

Funny, I tried JJ's power tubes and did not like them. The stock MB's had a better, bigger sound to me. YMMV, of course. Keep an extra rec tube on hand. they go often enough to carry a spare.
I have an Emi Wizard in mine and like that more than the stock MB speaker. More open and brighter to me. i run usually on 35 watts with a Rt 66 comp that articulates more. The drive channel has put my OD pedals in a bad mood. They don't get much use when I plug into the LSS.
No other mods. Great amp! Good luck with it. Lots of my friends play these amps and the LSS delivers great tones

Pickup some non-Mesa power tubes. I've used tube amps all my life and have never had power tube failure until the LSS. The first time, the power tube blew and took out some screen-grid resistors. This last time, minutes before a gig, two power tubes failed. Thankfully, the fuse blew before it started smoking.

Thank you all very much for the replies. This is a great amp and I am really enjoying all it does and can do. I will be checking out the JJ power tubes soon and I prefer the 35 watt speaker input as well; good stuff!

Latest posts

Back