New Lonestar Special & RK II Owner - Need Help!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZGEAR

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am the proud owner of an LSS. I had previously purchased the LSC from GC for $1200. After having the opportunity to finally play an RK II for about 2 days and 8 hours at a GC in N. Attleboro MA, I was convinced that it did indeed have the beautiful cleans from the LSC....So I returned the LSC and ordered the RK II (I wanted the additional versatility offered in one amp).

Purchased an LSS as I needed a low power solution for many small gigs and studio sessions. Great, great sounding amp. However, if I had to have the LSC or the LSS, I would choose the LSC as I refer the boldness of the 6L6s. Ok enough with the background info.....

So, today I took the LSS for a GIG at my church (seats about 500+) 99% full attendance...

Setup the LSS, sound check, all good. However, when we started to play, all of a sudden the sound cut out completely. I had setup channel 1 for 15 watts and channel 2 for 5 watts (as everything was Mic'd and had plenty of volume during sound checks.

I was mortified.....I checked everything and nothing -- no sound. The it occurred to me to try the 30 watt setting and voila!!! sound again....

However, now I was too loud and had to reset everything.

BTW, once I had my settings in place, the LSS rocked, sweet spanky cleans...the lead was not bad (but not as liquid as it was during sound check) -- the higher wattage caused me to change things on the fly and most likely was not the best setting.

So my question to LSS owners out there, what the @@%#% happened? My guess is the rectifier tube went....

Am I correct, or is it a sign of a bigger problem?

I'm about to take this thing back to GC and have them order me up one directly from the factory if it turns out to be a bigger problem.,

I'm just guessin

but since in 5 watt mode, the amp runs off one tube

in 15 watt mode, the amp runs off 2 tubes

30 watt...all 4

maybe you lost 2 of the tubes
30 watt was just using the other 2 ???

rickc007 said:
I'm just guessin

but since in 5 watt mode, the amp runs off one tube

in 15 watt mode, the amp runs off 2 tubes

30 watt...all 4

maybe you lost 2 of the tubes
30 watt was just using the other 2 ???

Yeah, I guess that's a possibility...I thought that since the 5 & 15 watt modes use the rectifier tube and the 30 watt used the diode that perhaps the rectifier tube went bad.

In any case, I will be calling GC tomorrow.

Thanks

the best thing you can do for your LSS is replace the tubes, all of them. The Mesa tubes are not that great. I recomend getting some NOS 5751s for V1 and V2, and V4. Get a NOS 12AT7 for V5, and a NOS 12AX7 for V3. Get a good 5Y3. Then top it off with a set of JJ EL84s. I use the high gain set. You will not believe the tonal improvement.

Also check the tube message board on this forum for other conversations on this very subject.

Maybe the LSS knows you prefer the LSC, and is messing with you.

:twisted:

I bet the rectifier tube went. Mesa had some bad ones (mine went out too). When that happens, the 30w mode still works because the solid-state rectifier kicks in on that power setting.

tiger roach said:
I bet the rectifier tube went. Mesa had some bad ones (mine went out too). When that happens, the 30w mode still works because the solid-state rectifier kicks in on that power setting.
I also believe this to be the answer.

HI Guys, \
IT IS the rectifier.
30 mode is a diode, the power tubes are fine,
replace the 5Y3 with a Sovtek and keep a spare.
S

I too believe it's the rectifier tube.
Also go along with Speedy but I like NOS 5751's in V1, V2 and V5 with current production Tung Sol 12AX7's in V3 & V4 and a quad of NOS Tesla EL84's for power tubes. Talk to Mike at http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/, He helped me out a lot and even told me when he thought I'd be wasting money.

Yep...Thanks all for the input...exactly as most of you mentioned, it was the rectifier tube....I went to GC today and they gave me a couple of spares....

But still, I found out that the unit I got was an oldie that had been sitting around since 2005...so I had them order me a new one with the front panel in AAA flame.

Played the LSS some more today, and the more I play it....I am begining to understand the following it is building. I am being swayed to the Dark Side (star wars joke)....

No really, the LSS may indeed be the sweeter sounding of the lonestars.

Funny thing is that after playing all weekend with the LSS....and today while waiting for GC to place my new order I went back to play the LSC and was not as pleased as I was previously (of course in the context of sound comparison against the LSS).

Again all, thanks for your feedback....Issue resolved.

"No really, the LSS may indeed be the sweeter sounding of the lonestars"

"Now thats a very subjective statement...the LSC was more articulate and had better warmth"

Glad to see you have come over to the Special side... :wink:

If sticking with the LSS, retubing with NOS tubes makes an enormous difference to the sound and flexibility of the amp. Have a look in the tubes forum if it is of interest.

I traded my LSS in coupla weeks ago, not because of problems/sound, I just fell in love with Roadster head/cab. One of the surprises I got, when I traded back with my shop-I got the best trade in I've ever gotten with an amp. I love Mesas!

Jazzgear.

Same thing happened to me with my first LSS. Just went dead in all wattages. GC gave me a new one in a box, so I don't what went wrong with it. Eventually I wound up with a LSC and have retubed it with Ruby's.

I much prefer the LSC over the LSS, but it's all a too subjective matter to get foamy in the mouth over.

Glad you found tone happiness.

"Glad to see you have come over to the Special side... :wink:"

Yes, Tim.......I have some crow to eat here....However, my point in the previous post was that if I could only have one or the other, I would choose the LSC because of the extra headroom.

For me, because I will have the RK II soon (in essence, I have the LSC as well), so the LSS is definitely the better choice now.

They both have their merits and I can certainly understand, now, why the two camps would defend their choices....they're both really great amps.

And as Mesa suggested in one of their marketing literatures, you may want to own both.

picnic said:
Jazzgear.

I much prefer the LSC over the LSS, but it's all a too subjective matter to get foamy in the mouth over.

Glad you found tone happiness.

I do too if I could only have one....

I notice you have the 2x12 version. For me I didn't like it very much, especially when taken off the ground, it really lost alot of it's bottom. I preferred the sound of the 1x12. Although, that one tends to get a bit boomy on the ground (if not careful with the bass controls), so I would put it on a stand

Gosh, before I ever tried either amp, I read the brochure and specification of each, and I came to the conclusion: "Comestically these two amps are similar, and perhaps preamp channels / modes are similar. But that's how far the similarity go. They are completely different animals => 6L6s -vs- EL84s, Class A/B vs 'Class A' ..." So its like comparing Apple and Oranges. I guitarist is going to have one preference over the other. End of Debate. 8)

Latest posts

Back