New guy here with a studio .22+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sereth

Reaction score
Hey folks.
So i got my first mesa a few days ago, and googleing a bit around led me to this site.
I alreasy had a 1x12 Thiel cab with my Engl Screamer, so i'm using that on the .22+ instead(getting an Engl 4x12 for the screamer)

When i first opened the box and plugged a guitar in (was at a friends place, and using an older SG), i was actually kind of dissapointed. i thought it would have more gain than that. Used a tubescreamer as a booster, and it helped somewhat, but still not great. Then when i got home, i threw an eq pedal in the loop(mid scooped),and the gain went from kind of lame to pretty awesome!(This .22+ dosnt have a 5-band graphic eq)

Now, reading around on this forum, i see a lot of ppl modding their amp to get LESS gain. this get's me thinking, maybe i sould be getting some new tubes for mine? The previous owner says he changed the EL84s for about 6 months ago, but the preamp tubes are a lot older.

so what do you think, could it just be the tubes? if so i'm gonna get a new set from eurotubes. they have a "hig gain set" for the .22+

and if not, is there anything else that could be wrong?

is there any mod to the 22+ so i get a grafic EQ on it?

Welcome!

A few things that make a big difference. I you hit most of them in your message.

Use hot pickups and/or some kind of boost. Stock SG pickups (Gibson 490s) are usually pretty tame so you need something extra on the front end. A tubescreamer is perfect.

Use an eq in the fx loop. You got that one already. I wouldn't mod it. A pedal in the loop works for most folks.

Use higher output tubes for your early pre-amp positions V1-V3 and use output tubes that are rated to break up early. A Eurotubes custom set is a great idea. You might also check to see what's in your pre-amp. The previous owner may have tried to tame it. Given the age of he amp they are probably just worn out.

Finally download the manual from the MB website if you don't have one. Boogies knobs are very sensitive and interactive but not always intuitive.

Not sure I told you anyting you didn't already know. I hope you get it worked out.

I assume you were using the footswitch and was on the high gain channel?

Latest posts

Back