New Formula Pre owner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nik

Reaction score
Hi,

Just got a Formula Pre.

Well, I can understand why a lot of people don't like them. It doesn't sound like a Mk series - I had Studio Pre some years ago and was wildly underwhelmed by it - and it doesn't sound like a Recto. It doesn't even sound like a Marshall!

To me, it sounds rich and thick and after the first few minutes tweaking I already got closer to the sound in my head than ever before.

I few notes:
- The Low Gain setting for the recording output seems good all ropund. The High Gain setting seems useless - far too muffled.
- In the lead channels, the EQ is after all the gain. This makes it much more like a Marshall or Recto to diel in and less like a Mk series Boogie.
- The rack unit may be well built, but the footswitch is rather poor. Mine was dead on arrival so I had to get stuck in with a soildering iron. The PCB is NOT plated through and there is constant pressure on the switch and lamp solder joints, even when no-one is stomping on them. So the joints crack - inevitable. And the board is further stressed whenever you insert or extract or even wiggle the cable plug. Are all Mesa footswitches like this?

Looking for some Formula love...

Nik

I have used a Pre for over a decade in my main rig. I like the amp. I have it paired with a 20/20 and run a G-Major in between. I use the G-Major to switch the clean/crunch/distortion channels and I use the G-Major to add a solo boost (by actually putting the output globally at -6db and then turning off that setting when soloing). I am pleased as could be with this setup.

I have tried a lot of tube changes over the years, but I always went back to stock Mesa. The Pre cleans are wonderful and other tubes seemed to mess with that sound too much. I did a mod to give a tad more fullness/saturation to the distortion and that has worked out great. My 20/20 has the deep mod as well, but with my G-Flex cabinet I don't use it much at all.

I do have a Tri that I am playing with as well, but I have been in no hurry to replace the Pre. Maybe some day...

Hi.

Nice to see a little bit of Formula love!

I'm loving the clean and LD1 channels. Having fun trying to figure out whether I prefer the recording outputs on their own or the main outputs through my ADA Microcab (speaker sim) or Ampulator (Speaker & power amp sim). The ADA boxes give me very authentic tones direct to monitors, buit the Formula's own recording circuit seems to have unique properties of its own. It seems to make the whole thing more responsive to one's fingures.

What mod did you do? The Andrew mod? For me, the clean and Ld1 channels are good as they are, but LD2 is not giving me what I hoped for from it. It seems too similar to LD1, but more scratchy and less warm.

Cheers,

Yes, the Andrew mod. It did not do "all that" as I had hoped, but it keeps me from running a pedal compressor inline to my rig, which was the goal. The mod is a GREAT mod, but it is subtle. I have not played with any tube swaps since the mod, which I would like to do one day. All in all, however, with that mod my rig is better than anything else available (of course I am referring to my likes and setup as well). I am a bit different whereas I like to literally plug and play. I make one trip from truck to venue with all of my gear (2 axes and dual backpack softcase), rack on wheels, 2-12 on wheels, midi controller and guitar stands on wheeled amp rack.

I played with my old band last weekend as a guest and everyone in the band as well as a few in the crowd complemented my sound. When your sound is noticed and gets a thumbs up from musicians as well, you know that you have something! That Formula will not leave me unless I am blue.

Thanks. That's useful info.
I may get around to trying the mod some time soon.

Latest posts

Back