New 5:50 Plus Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardbird mac

Reaction score
My quest for a second MESA/Boogie amp is over. I got a pretty good deal on a new Express 5:50 plus head. I was using a Lone Star 23" open back cab under my older 5:50 combo up to this point. When the new amp arrived I matched it up with with that extension cab. So far, I'm really impressed with bells & whistles on this amp. Right out of the box that head/speaker combination sounded great and not all that difficult to dial in.

I wasn't real keen on getting the 5:50 + head, but the dealer kept dropping the price (almost 25% off). When I saw that the price had gone that low I knew that was my new amp.

In spite of the newer circuitry and the additional "bells & whistles", so far it's been easier for me to dial in, even in my basement that has horrible acoustic properties. I really like the on board EQ options on this amp and the solo boost function. With this amp, I can ditch my MXR 10 band EQ pedal (I'll use that with my 5:50 combo or my FENDER DRRI if that amp doesn't sell).

Anyway... I thought I would post a heads up with my (former) amp quest.*

* I'm thinking about getting a second 23" Lone Star cab (Later this fall) in order to turn this thing into a full stack.

I have the combo version. Really versatile amp for the price.

I kinda wish I'd got the head to add flexibility and help with weight - the 1x12 combo is still pretty bulky and heavy.

Congrats!

Latest posts

Back