New 5:50 owner!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aw9190

Reaction score
I just got a mesa 5:50 express 2x12 combo. All I can say is that i really underestimated this amp. I hated my Dual rec. So i was not sure that this amp would really make me happy. This is was my last try with mesa. I am still gassing pretty bad for the electra dyne, and the egnater renegade. I can say this I was going to get rid of the 5:50 to move to an electra dyne before I even got it, and now I just want to hang on to it. The clean channel is fantastic, seriously!! The lead channel is pretty good too, but I always play it with the contour on because the bottom end is a little flabby. It farts a little but when you engage the contour it tightens it up a bit. It is not a heavy metal amp, but it does have enough gain to capture heavy tones. I play a lot of 80's metal, and this does that no problem, but its probably where I would say the gain runs out. I am sure if I do a little toob rolling I can tighten that bass up. I also should say I like mids in my guitar tone, and mesa's are notorious for scooping that out. With the contour engaged it scoops the tone, but I just compensate by rolling in the mids. All I can say is that I am thoroughly satisfied. I wanted an amp for my bedroom, and this is perfect I run it at 5 watts and thats plenty. UGHH i just wish i can get rid of these digestive issues I am having for the Renegade, and Electra dyne. I will probably end up getting a renegade combo If i can sell some stuff not like i need it!!!!

aw9190 said:
All I can say is that i really underestimated this amp...... I am thoroughly satisfied......
Welcome - I've had my 1x12 5:50 combo exactly a year. I, too, still have gas for other amps, including some of the other non-Rectifier Boogies, since they can get to the middle gain ground the Recs can't/weren't designed to. As much as I'd love to have an Electradyne, Stilletto, Lone Star or LSS, all my back has to do is ask "Which non-Rec Mesa 1x12 combo weighs in at or under 50 lbs.?" Only one of their amps can fit that bill, not counting their recent lunchbox amps (which do have their own merits, but not the 6L6+circuit combination of the Express's Clean mode). I'm sure the ED, LSC, and Stilletto all have more 'mass' to their cleans, but I cannot deal with 65 lb combos anymore! And I don't feel with the Express that I've had to settle for second best - this thing is versatile, and not at the expense of any feature or tone. And yes, I see you have the 2x12, so you must have a stronger back!

As for flub, mids, bass, etc., I don't have to push mine at gig levels (just teaching, jamming, and personal practice), but there's plenty of info here and on other forums with speaker recommendations. 5W is cool for a lot of things (including the lower volume at night), but it really changes the feel and dynamics of the amp, and dirt pedals react differently.

There's another thread on here started, or contributed to, by Bobby Womack, that has a link to a review he wrote for his 5:25 that clearly explains where the tone knobs and the contour fit in the circuit, and how to get the most out of them when you're dialing in your sound. I found this quite useful, and the principles he discusses are applicable to the other Mesas with either a graphic EQ or a contour control of some kind. Happy tone hunting!!!

welcome! I hear you on the amp weight. I tried the 5:50 an the 5:25. The el84's won me over to the 5:25 and it was a bonus that its a bit lighter. I recently tried out the new Atlantic combo but I really missed having the burn level of gain of the 525. The 5:25 is by far the most versatile amp I have ever owned in my 20 + years of gigging. Just an eq in the loop for a solo boost along with a delay and that's all I need. It always killed me to buy combo amps and then have to run a distortion pedal through the clean side due to the amps own distortion lacking. It will take a lot to get me to change amps at this point....the 5:25 does a great job! If the 5:50 had el84's I would really had been torn!

I can play my Les Paul Classic through my 5:50 112 and set on blues,I can get the rock tone I need. The 5:50 has been my smaller amp to my Marshall stack. I'm playing more and more places with it. I've gigged more than a few times on the 5 watt setting.

Make sure you use the effects loop -- I like that it is true bypass since I play a volume pedal in the loop. I play modulation & delay in the loop & run compression/OD pedals up front. I like the amps distortion & use it a lot but would be ok if this were just a single channel clean amp at a lower price -- it really outshines single channel Fender cleans without the brittle harshness at high volumes. I use BOSS power stack to get Marshall tones & a BOSS Metal 2 to get that sound, but I use the blues/burn channel a lot. I know there are a lot better OD pedals (in particular Fulltone) but I got these more or less for free.

I know what you mean about the flabby sounds. Have to be careful with the EQ. Can't beat the reverb & it's very quiet, unlike my Fenders which hum proportionately with reverb settings. I still haven't cracked the contour codes -- I usually find a setting I like & don't change it. The 5W setting is great.

I like the individual reverb knobs for each channel. One of the best features of the amp as I don't run any reverb on the blues/burn channel & don't have to do two switches like my Fender Supersonic.

As for weight, I think the 5:50 is a relatively heavy 1-12 combo. The cabinet is deeper & boxier than a Fender & not sure that has anything to do with the sound.

mtodd6 said:
As for weight, I think the 5:50 is a relatively heavy 1-12 combo. The cabinet is deeper & boxier than a Fender & not sure that has anything to do with the sound.

The depth of the cabinet makes a big difference in sound though there might be a point of diminishing returns. Try an amp with a very shallow cabinet. The tone is negatively affected.

mtodd6 said:
Make sure you use the effects loop -- I like that it is true bypass since I play a volume pedal in the loop. I play modulation & delay in the loop & run compression/OD pedals up front.

How do you cable up your loop pedals? Are you running send/return from your pedal board? I like my delay in the loop but haven't wanted to run all the cables.

Oh, and yes, the 5:50 is an amazing amp. For me it does everything I want in the blues/rock/pop I play.

aw9190 said:
I just got a mesa 5:50 express 2x12 combo. All I can say is that i really underestimated this amp. I hated my Dual rec. So i was not sure that this amp would really make me happy. This is was my last try with mesa. I am still gassing pretty bad for the electra dyne, and the egnater renegade. I can say this I was going to get rid of the 5:50 to move to an electra dyne before I even got it, and now I just want to hang on to it. The clean channel is fantastic, seriously!! The lead channel is pretty good too, but I always play it with the contour on because the bottom end is a little flabby. It farts a little but when you engage the contour it tightens it up a bit. It is not a heavy metal amp, but it does have enough gain to capture heavy tones. I play a lot of 80's metal, and this does that no problem, but its probably where I would say the gain runs out. I am sure if I do a little toob rolling I can tighten that bass up. I also should say I like mids in my guitar tone, and mesa's are notorious for scooping that out. With the contour engaged it scoops the tone, but I just compensate by rolling in the mids. All I can say is that I am thoroughly satisfied. I wanted an amp for my bedroom, and this is perfect I run it at 5 watts and thats plenty. UGHH i just wish i can get rid of these digestive issues I am having for the Renegade, and Electra dyne. I will probably end up getting a renegade combo If i can sell some stuff not like i need it!!!!

Glad you're enjoying the 5:50 but...
Flabby gain tone ??? - are you keeping the bass dial under 11am at all times - that cures it and a full tube upgrade will resolve it completely.

If you're a bedroom player forget the Electrodyne - it's a great gigging amp but way too loud for bedrooms - it only switches from 45 to 90w.
The 5:50 is much more versatile anyways :mrgreen:

How do you cable up your loop pedals? Are you running send/return from your pedal board? I like my delay in the loop but haven't wanted to run all the cables.

I effectively have two pedal boards with 4 cable wiring. I can daisy chain the boards for older amp with no effects loop. I really like the volume pedal in the loop -- allows me to run my signal wide open all the time into the input if I want. I also have an additional compressor I sometime use in the loop -- interesting nuance compared to compression on input signal.

I really want to hear this amp with a 4-12 cab, but I don't have one & too cheap to spring for it & too lazy to haul it around.

Dave B said:
aw9190 said:
All I can say is that i really underestimated this amp...... I am thoroughly satisfied......
Welcome - I've had my 1x12 5:50 combo exactly a year. I, too, still have gas for other amps, including some of the other non-Rectifier Boogies, since they can get to the middle gain ground the Recs can't/weren't designed to. As much as I'd love to have an Electradyne, Stilletto, Lone Star or LSS, all my back has to do is ask "Which non-Rec Mesa 1x12 combo weighs in at or under 50 lbs.?" Only one of their amps can fit that bill, not counting their recent lunchbox amps (which do have their own merits, but not the 6L6+circuit combination of the Express's Clean mode). I'm sure the ED, LSC, and Stilletto all have more 'mass' to their cleans, but I cannot deal with 65 lb combos anymore! And I don't feel with the Express that I've had to settle for second best - this thing is versatile, and not at the expense of any feature or tone. And yes, I see you have the 2x12, so you must have a stronger back!

As for flub, mids, bass, etc., I don't have to push mine at gig levels (just teaching, jamming, and personal practice), but there's plenty of info here and on other forums with speaker recommendations. 5W is cool for a lot of things (including the lower volume at night), but it really changes the feel and dynamics of the amp, and dirt pedals react differently.

There's another thread on here started, or contributed to, by Bobby Womack, that has a link to a review he wrote for his 5:25 that clearly explains where the tone knobs and the contour fit in the circuit, and how to get the most out of them when you're dialing in your sound. I found this quite useful, and the principles he discusses are applicable to the other Mesas with either a graphic EQ or a contour control of some kind. Happy tone hunting!!!

I couldn't find the link for this review would you mind linking me up?

Newysurfer said:
aw9190 said:

Flabby gain tone ??? - are you keeping the bass dial under 11am at all times - that cures it and a full tube upgrade will resolve it completely.

If you're a bedroom player forget the Electrodyne - it's a great gigging amp but way too loud for bedrooms - it only switches from 45 to 90w.

I do not mind cranking the amp a bit every once in a while :lol: If you do not do it all that often it is such a treat when you do!! this is the store with my splawn quick rod, and jmp 2204.

My settings are as follows: gain 4 o clock, treble 12 o clock, mids 1 o clock, bass 7 o clock, reverb off, and master about 10. Contour at about 3 o clock.

See the thing is that with the contour off there is virtually no bottom end on the burn channel. I have used it with higher bass settings but it just wasnt there. With out the contour it sounds like an a marshall ms-2 micro stack. The bottom end is all in that contour knob it really transforms the amp. I run the mids high to compensate for the contour scooping them out. I am not a fan of scooped gain tones. I managed to dial out some of the flabby running the bass so low, but i still hear it and I would like a bit more bottom end in my tone, any recommendations for tubes? I was thinking tung sol's in the preamp.

aw9190 said:
Newysurfer said:
See the thing is that with the contour off there is virtually no bottom end on the burn channel.

you're wrong...it is just a different voicing...
try to connect it with a closed back extension cab, then you'll hear the bass, a LOT of it...

I had an ENGL 2x12 pro v30 cab for a year, my express didn't lack ANY bass, and I play modern metal so...

IMHO - combos suck :)

Krek13 said:
aw9190 said:
Newysurfer said:
See the thing is that with the contour off there is virtually no bottom end on the burn channel.

you're wrong...it is just a different voicing...
try to connect it with a closed back extension cab, then you'll hear the bass, a LOT of it...

I had an ENGL 2x12 pro v30 cab for a year, my express didn't lack ANY bass, and I play modern metal so...

IMHO - combos suck :)

I played it through a marshall jcm 900 cab with g12 75. I mean it was better, but it is not really practical. I want an amp i can play in my room, and if for some reason I do join a band or go jam with someone I want something more portable then my halfstack. Don't get my wrong I think the amp is awesome It is like 75% there.

aw9190 said:
I played it through a marshall jcm 900 cab with g12 75. I mean it was better, but it is not really practical. I want an amp i can play in my room, and if for some reason I do join a band or go jam with someone I want something more portable then my halfstack. Don't get my wrong I think the amp is awesome It is like 75% there.

I understand you, but 2x12 combo is not really portable if you ask me :)
it's as portable as a head and 2x12 cab, except that the 2x12 cab sounds better than a combo and tubes last longer...

Krek13 said:
aw9190 said:

it's as portable as a head and 2x12 cab, except that the 2x12 cab sounds better than a combo and tubes last longer...

Yea this is true, but this thing isn't terribly heavy. Then again I got this after a tremoverb

Yeah, I agree, it's feels almost as heavy as my Fender Proreverb 2x12 & it's so boxy.

Why do you think the tubes last longer? Up vs down tube orientation? Airflow?

The other thing is 5:50 does not seem as loud as other 50W 1x12. I mean it has plenty of volume, but I would like to compare with a Plexi 50W.

mtodd6 said:

Less vibration from the speakers.

mtodd6 said:

The other thing is 5:50 does not seem as loud as other 50W 1x12. I mean it has plenty of volume, but I would like to compare with a Plexi 50W.

Vibration :)

don't compare mesa to a plexi, it's a totally different structure...old marshalls are probably the loudest amps ever, but you can't use them at room level because they don't sound good unless you crank them...

aw9190 said:
Newysurfer said:
aw9190 said:

I do not mind cranking the amp a bit every once in a while :lol: If you do not do it all that often it is such a treat when you do!! this is the store with my splawn quick rod, and jmp 2204.

My settings are as follows: gain 4 o clock, treble 12 o clock, mids 1 o clock, bass 7 o clock, reverb off, and master about 10. Contour at about 3 o clock.

See the thing is that with the contour off there is virtually no bottom end on the burn channel. I have used it with higher bass settings but it just wasnt there. With out the contour it sounds like an a marshall ms-2 micro stack. The bottom end is all in that contour knob it really transforms the amp. I run the mids high to compensate for the contour scooping them out. I am not a fan of scooped gain tones. I managed to dial out some of the flabby running the bass so low, but i still hear it and I would like a bit more bottom end in my tone, any recommendations for tubes? I was thinking tung sol's in the preamp.

Well there's no Bass issue with this amp at all to my ears and I have the bass dial higher than you and mids a little lower.
I run my Combo thru both the in-built C90 and a custom closed 2x12 with V30s - great thru both.
When I engage the Contour it's usually about 12 oclock.
Tube swap really smooths out the gain channel & reduces humm by 60-70%

Newysurfer said:
Well there's no Bass issue with this amp at all to my ears and I have the bass dial higher than you and mids a little lower.
I run my Combo thru both the in-built C90 and a custom closed 2x12 with V30s - great thru both.
When I engage the Contour it's usually about 12 oclock.
Tube swap really smooths out the gain channel & reduces humm by 60-70%

What brand of tubes are you running in yours?

Latest posts

Back