need some Marshall input.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masque

Reaction score
I have been kind of wanting to look into purchaing a good sounding marshall tube amp/head. I don't know alot about the different models....I have always owned boogie stuff (triaxis & 20/20) or the digitech gsp 2101. I love both those pieces but it seems the more I read and find out about killer tones I have enjoyed over the years it seems alot of those people have used marshalls. so, if any of you guys could give me some advice on where I could start and what models I would appreciate it.

well, ultimately you will have to try them out yourself to make your final decision, but you can start at the jcm2000 series, or if you can, try out the older jcm800 and jcm900 series. if you can find a place that has a jmp-1 its definitely worth a go. i used to have one, sounded good, but ended up selling it to fund my mesa rack. so to start out, check out the jcm2000's or the jmp-1.

EDIT: remember that marshalls have nowhere near the amount of bass that mesas do, but they do sound good in a band situation, so keep that in mind.

I'd suggest a Stiletto Ace head. Just my .02 I currently own a JCM 2K DSL 50W. I like it for the green channel, the clean is wonderful and when you engage the crunch you can Page, Hendrix and Trower for days. Once you channel switch the amp is useless. I just don't care for the overdive. It sounds neutered. With the Stilletto you get all the clean and balls in one unit.

I have had marshall for years. It sound pretty good but not really amazing. Much will depend on what kind of music you play.
Keep in mind that JMP-1 and JCM 900 aren't full-tubeamps because both the preamps are made with opamps which are warmed up a bit with some tubes. JCM 800 single channel amps are a far as I know full-tubeamps exept from some diode clipping maybe. And by the way I think JCM 800's are one of the best marshalls there are

Platypus said:
What are you after sound/tone wise?

well some of my favorite tones are;

andy timmons-resoution
ty tabor- first 4 king's x albums
eddie van halen-fair warning
audley freed (cry of love)-brother
john petrucci-scenes from a memory
tommy shaw and james young (styx)- pieces of eight
eric johnson
david gilmour
george lynch-unchain the night/back for the attack

I would have to say that your 2101 is a nice piece for versatility however if you want the full benefit of it you need to do the ppc-210 upgrade that gives you dual s-disc processing for longer algorithms and seamless patch changes. With the implementation fo the ppc-210 you will also need to be on version 3.00 a software. There are many places to get patches for just about any tone you want to achieve. I own one but I don't use it in favor of more of an organic straight up amp tone.

As far as the thought of a preamp like the JMP-1 goes, I too owned one of those. I liked it for a while but always felt that it was too synthetic sounding. This is something that the 2101 also has but I kind of let that go for the use of the effects and other uses. The JMP-1 just doesn't really cop the feel of a true amp. I had used it with the 9005, 9100, and also just as a preamp into a head as slave. I would just assume buy the Marshall head that you like the tones of.

With that in mind, the 900s were not that great. Though the 800s were better and more raw sounding. I found that when it came down to it I prefer the sounds of a JMP 50 watt master akin to the 2204. The single channel amps are better for tone and have none of the channel switching issues. The 2203 or JMP 100 watt master is a classic amp that is if nothing else a formidable asset to your arsenal. This being said I do feel that the later 87 and up 2205/2210 2 channel amps sound incredible. My 1988 2210 is probably the loudest most raw Marshall I have ever played not to mention has the best distortion for thrash and speed metal. My 1977 JMP 50 watt master kills it for tone though.

In the 80s the JCM800 series went through some changes. The 2203 received circuit changes that reduced the # of caps and undeniably changed its tone. The single channel amps 2203/2204 received a facelift that included horizontal inputs that strayed from the vertical inputs of the past. This change came with the inception of the pcb mounted pots. It became a techs' nightmare. Though the 2203 received a circuit change that changed the # of caps the 2204 remained the same thus any year of the 2204 is actually a good amp though you may still want to keep with the nonpcb mounted pots for reliability issues. The 2205/2210 in the early years had great cleans for marshall and so-so distortion. There was a channel bleed issue that was addressed in late 86 that was corrected however the cleans that the amp was known for were somewhat lost in favor of the untamed distortion that arose. The DI in the 800 series was kind of useless but in the late 80s Marshall did begin to use a tube effects loop. The effects loop was nice to have though doesn't compare to today's loops.

Many folks either love or hate their JCM2000 series amps. I personally do not care for them though they do have a few nice features to them. I just think it is Marshall straying from a nononsense amp in favor for versatility. They really lost some of the tone that made a Marshall great. I guess in a way it was an attempt to get a little bit of all the Marshall sounds though not acceling at any. The adjustable pots were a good idea though to make tube changes easier.

Another amp that has that love/hate relationship is the 900 series. The MkIII amps are simliar to the single channel 2203/2204 just with more gain. The dual reverb heads are similar to the 2205/2210 just without the tone and a bit more fizziness to the distortion in an attempt to rival amps like Mesa. If I were to acquire a 900 it would probably be of the MkIII amp variety.

Diode clipping amongst Marshall fans is a hit and miss kind of deal. There are those that do not like it and choose for more of an all tube path, there are those that hate the sag of a rectifier, and there are those that don't care either way. I think when it all boils down to it the matter is personal taste like anything else. I look at it like this: if it sounds good who cares. I am sure that many can make a tube rectified marshall sound like *** just as they can their diode clipping models. There are surely those that can make either sound great also. To me, it is more of a shut up and play philosophy. You can sit back and debate all day but what good is it if you can't make your gear sound good and have your gear make you sound good.

I have yet to try the Stiletto but I am more of the mindset that if you want Marshall you get Marshall. If you want Mesa you get Mesa. This also applies to Fender and every other manufacturer out there.

With regards to your choices of music that you want to emulate, I would suggest getting a combination of three amps. They would be an older all tube Fender like a Twin, either a JCM800 2203/2204 or its JMP predecessor, and maybe a Mesa Mark series amp. These amps will deliver the sounds that you are looking for but you will have to switch among them in order to really nail the tones you are trying to achieve. They do sell little amp switching units in even a stompbox variation so you don't have to invest in Bradshaw or the Mesa equivalent.

In the end, it is going to come down to your own personal taste and what sounds good to your ears. Go out and try different stuff from time to time. You will be surprized what sounds good and there too you may find that you have been chasing a dog in err. I once believed that you needed all kinds of rack stuff to sound good. I also believed that you needed a Floyd Rose tremolo or a really flat neck to shred. These are misconceptions that as you play more you will find are not necessarily so. I have found that tremolo systems can really take away from your tone and a fatter neck will inherently get better tone because there is more to resonate. The rack stuff can be fun but I wouldn't make it the heart and soul of my rig ever again. It is really hard to rid yourself of the synthetic soulless tone that most racks have. Even the Triaxis, to me, sounds like a pale imitation of what it is trying to achieve. Regardless of the path you choose, just remember that it will be your wallet that is affected by your GAS. Some choices will be better than others but until you figure out what it is that you are really looking for be aware that it is an expensive journey.

Guitarzan said:
I'd suggest a Stiletto Ace head. Just my .02 I currently own a JCM 2K DSL 50W. I like it for the green channel, the clean is wonderful and when you engage the crunch you can Page, Hendrix and Trower for days. Once you channel switch the amp is useless. I just don't care for the overdive. It sounds neutered. With the Stilletto you get all the clean and balls in one unit.

Does the Stiletto Ace head also Page, Hendrix and Trower for days? I checked out the Ace combo recently and it really got my GAS up...

I tried out a Stilletto Duece and was rather impressed by the pure tone. It was EL34 tone all the way. Blew the DSL 100 I tried out earlier that same day out of the water. Just NO comparison.

The Stilletto didn't produce that nasty high end that newer Marshalls do. It just sounded GOOD.

The ONLY reason I didn't buy it was because it just didn't produce enough gain for me. I solo'd on it, and it felt like I was playing through something Jimmy Page might have used. No compression whatsoever.

Then I found my Roadster head. Done deal. Back to topic...

The Stillettos have great UK tone. Better (smoother) than the Marshalls IMO. I just wish Mesa would have added a few more notches of gain to them. But I suppose a good compression pedal could work that out.

Botch said:
You should probably go here:

http://www.marshallampforum.com

They're nice guys over there and really know their stuff.

Yeah, they can be quite informative over there regarding Marshalls but then you have to deal with the different amp camps all over. I go over there once in a while just to see what is going on in that part of the amp world.

fredster said:
Guitarzan said:

Does the Stiletto Ace head also Page, Hendrix and Trower for days? I checked out the Ace combo recently and it really got my GAS up...

It does a convincing job!

3SpeedChicken said:
I tried out a Stilletto Duece and was rather impressed by the pure tone. It was EL34 tone all the way. Blew the DSL 100 I tried out earlier that same day out of the water. Just NO comparison.

The Stilletto didn't produce that nasty high end that newer Marshalls do. It just sounded GOOD.

The ONLY reason I didn't buy it was because it just didn't produce enough gain for me. I solo'd on it, and it felt like I was playing through something Jimmy Page might have used. No compression whatsoever.

Then I found my Roadster head. Done deal. Back to topic...

The Stillettos have great UK tone. Better (smoother) than the Marshalls IMO. I just wish Mesa would have added a few more notches of gain to them. But I suppose a good compression pedal could work that out.

Yeah i know what you mean about the high end on the DSL/TSL. my singer has a TSL 100 and we found that running the amps cabinet in a stereo config rolled off alot of the nasty highs and now it actually sounds GOOD.
Russ i totally agree that the TSL is a so so Marshall but you know my only question is why i took till 1998 for marshall to make 3 channel(mass production) head.....While the 6100(early 90's) was total overkill the tsl is fairly simplistic i think.

If you get a Master volume amp you can turn the output all the way up and use the channel volume as a physical loudness knob and even on 1 your power tubes will break up that's how i ran my recto......good luck though finding a Marshall w/ a "true" master vol.config

Marshall 2550 (Silver Jubilee)
Switchable 25 or 50 watts.
Channel switching.
Usable Clean - AWESOME KRANG when you get the power tubes workin'.
Last reissued as the 100watt 'Slash' model in 96.
I record mine in tandem with an early 90's Dual Rec.

Lot's of good Marshal Info and specifics HERE:
http://www.drtube.com/marshall.htm

Guitarzan was right on the money. Get a Metroamp, they kick total ***. Every sound from Lynch to VH to Eric Johnson is in there.

I have one that was built by Mike Bendinelli from Mesa and it's my favorite amp. You won't be disappointed.

Latest posts

Back