Need preamp tubes for my Mark V (first time).........

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67mike

Reaction score
Hey Guys:

Looking for off the shelf reasonable preamp tubes for my 6 month old Mark V that has started acting funky like the tubes are going .

I have used Sovteck 12ax7's in other amps with great sucess.

What is a good tube to use with the Mark V?????

were you happy with the original preamp tubes?
did you by the amp new? if so, could you get warranty repacements?
due to the compexity of the amp and different playing styles..i doubt you'll get a usefull responce.including mine!

Bought it new...happy with the sounds...not sure about warranty...think tubes have 6 months.

Pre amp tubes don't go that fast, for the most part.

So, what makes you think that they are the problem?

According to most reports here, the pre's are JJ's, if that helps.

Mick

Tung-Sol 12AX7 for V1-V3 are worth trying. Worth the few extra bucks imo.
I used JJ tubes for the rest of the slots. It was the only time i ever ordered tubes off the net.
Usually would just pick up some from Guitarcenter with my old rectifier. I ordered from thetubestore.com and will again.

I have only changed the tubes in my amp once in a year in a half but did notice a pleasing difference with the Tung-Sol's.

good luck!

I think it might be the preamp tubes as it is making a distorted sound on some notes both on tweed and Crunch and these are not normal so I was thinking preamp tubes?

If you have any power tubes that you could stick in first, that would be my first move.

Power tubes will go much faster than pre's, thats why there are tons of old pre's still around, Mullard etc.

Not that there is not a problem with the pre's, I'd just do the 6l6's first and see what happens.

Also, because you bought it new there should-could be a warranty on the tubes for the first 6 months, I believe.

Mick

Latest posts

Back