Need new tubes for Rectoverb50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat6969

Reaction score
I just bought this series 1 Rectoverb head from a guy and I'm wanting to change out the tubes to get more high gain. It has the original tubes in it and seems to be fine but I was under the impression the rectofiers were higher gain heads. I'm not getting that nice chug I was hoping for. I took the covers off the preamp tubes and they are quite dim. They all seem to be lit as I can see two glowing spots, one on each side of the tube, although they seem dim. Not sure if that's normal as I've never seen what a bad or weak tube looks like.

Also, am I correct that there is no bias pots? Just fire in some new 6L6 tubes and turn it on?

Anyway, hopefully someone can shed some light as to if I need new tubes or if I won't get what I'm looking for out of this head.

Thanks.

The pre-amp tubes will never light up that much, most people love putting a Tung Sol reissue in V1 and then a mix in the other slots. Most tube companies will give you the option to pay extra for a high gain pre-amp tube, all that means is they measured it and it will produce slightly more gain then a normal tube.

As for power tubes, yes this amp is a fixed bias, when you order tubes just let the company know it is for a rectifier and you want the bias to run hotter then factory and they can send you tubes to help you out with that. My friend and I have both started liking the tung sol 6L6's, they are some of the best new tubes out there since you cant get the winged C's anymore they are what we are sticking to.

As to the gain and chug, rectos need to get loud and they also do very well with a clean boost. Most of the tones you hear on records are boosted rectos. Also keep in mind Rectos where high gain for the time they were released compared to what else was out there, but compared to some newer amps they might be considered lower gain. But if you ask me they have plenty to do any type of music unless you want the super compressed wall of sound with no note articulation.

Also one more thing, while the rectoverbs and singles are are a recto, if you want more chug I would sell it and get a dual or triple rectifier, the rectoverbs and single recs excel better at rock/hard rock.

Pat6969 said:
I just bought this series 1 Rectoverb head from a guy and I'm wanting to change out the tubes to get more high gain. It has the original tubes in it and seems to be fine but I was under the impression the rectofiers were higher gain heads. I'm not getting that nice chug I was hoping for. I took the covers off the preamp tubes and they are quite dim. They all seem to be lit as I can see two glowing spots, one on each side of the tube, although they seem dim. Not sure if that's normal as I've never seen what a bad or weak tube looks like.

Also, am I correct that there is no bias pots? Just fire in some new 6L6 tubes and turn it on?

Anyway, hopefully someone can shed some light as to if I need new tubes or if I won't get what I'm looking for out of this head.

Thanks.

I just stuffed in some JJ ECC83's and some GT6L6's. Sounds pretty good right now. The guy at the shop said the 83's are a higher gain preamp tube, not that I can notice but they are sounding alright.

In my experience singles have enough gain. Correct me if im wrong, but its more of a volume/headroom issue depending on how loud you want to play the thing.

out of curiosity what gain, master volume and output settings are you using? If you want to get a good chug sound, you need to make sure your output is at least 12:00. anything less than 10:00 the power section will be putting out very little low end. Adjust your master volume to the level you want to play at and then add your gain to taste.

If what your doing is keeping the output low, and playing with lots of gain and master your going to get that thin buzzy sound that people negatively associate with rectos.

Latest posts

Back