Need info on this speaker...Celestion G12M-70

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzerza

Reaction score
I just picked up another DC-3 for $300! The amp itself is super clean, but the cabinet is pretty beat up and the speaker was changed out to this G12M-70. I don't know anything about it, so if you know anything about it, I would love any input.
I'm thinking about putting this amp into a head since I already have a combo and re tolexing the cab...I have never tolexed anything so this is a good chance to try it out. I don't know if the speaker is worth keeping or selling though.
Celestion002.jpg
[/img]

uhhhhmmm... they came stock, for some reason, in a bunch of 80s and early 90s marshall combos and cabs.

Personally I think they're pretty awful, with ow-ow-ow-spiky upper mids and highs, and some Marshall combos got bad reps just off these speakers. My buddy's JCM800 combo has a pair and to me they don't sound very good unless you absolutely hammer them (bring earplugs), or roll off a ton of treble on the amp.

I'd lose it, if I were you...

Yeah... I have an Ampeg 2x12 extension cab with those speakers, I'm not crazy about them. They seem to be all bass and screechy treble, no midrange smoothness at all. I was going to sell them but it seems like they're only going for 60 or 70 bucks on the 'bay.
My Mark IIa has the EVM12L, and it is wonderful speaker. Heavier than hell, though.

Back