Need Expert Advice On First Mesa Boogie Purchase

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuuhl

Reaction score
Hey all! First time user and poster. I've never owned a Mesa. I've gone from Peavey (70's) to Marshall (80's & 90's) and finally to modeling amps. Well, I'm dumping my Line 6 Vetta rig and getting back to the real deal. Too many issues dealing with a freakin' "computer".

I play classic rock and blues in a cover band. I was headed towards a Marhsall DSL.....until I played a Stiletto Deuce today. That baby rocks! Anyway, I am doing a little research here on the Forum, and now I'm second guessing myself based on comments Forum memebers from past threads. So, the big question: Should I be checking out a Mark IV and Roadster if I like the sound and features of the Stiletto? What's the biggest sonic and feature differences between the models? I haven't seen either on display, but a dealer did mention that he had a Roadster coming in soon. Thanks for your time and advice!!!

If you like the Stiletto, get it. There's nothing wrong with the Stiletto "as a whole". I personally think that very early on there was a bad batch of them. Were you playing the Series II Stiletto? The Stiletto, Mark IV, and Roadster (DUAL RECTIFIER) are completely different amps. It depends on what style of music you are after. I have the Stiletto HW Mod version and love it for that early Van Halen, GnR/Slash sounds. I owned a Mark IV for several years until I sold it last week to make way for my Roadster coming on order. The Mark IV had a ton of versatility, however, you have to tweak it a lot to get the sound you want. I don't have patience, that's why I sold it (keeping eyes open for the simpler Mark V). I love the sound of the Rectifier, that's why I am getting the Roadster.

Yes, it's actually called the Dual Rectifier Roadster. It's the same Dual Rectifier distortion, but with more "features" and an extra channel. Better cleans and reverb too among other things.

I play classic rock and blues

that made me think you would immediately get a Lone Star suggestion.

(If you preferr the sound of an EL34 power section, you can do that with the LSC. You can also run 6L6 if you prefer a more "fender-y" sound. Hell, set the channels to 50w & run 6V6s, if you want).

From what you are describing for the sounds that you like the Roadster might be more than you need.

The Stiletto is a British/Marshall sounding amp, Hi-Gain lead sound, good cleans, 2 channel.

The Roadster is a Modern/Modified/Marshall sounding, Hi-Gain Rhythm/Lead sound, good cleans, reverb, 4 channel. (*Dual Rectifier Family w/Road King, Single/Dual/Triple Rectifier/TremoVerb/RectoVerb)

The Lonestar might be another consideration. 'Fender Twin' Cleans, amazing Reverb, Original Mesa Mark style hi-gain, (not quite as hi-gain as a MKII - MKIV). The BEST clean amp, Blues amp, Classic Rock amp Mesa has EVER made, but not a Nu Metal/Modern Hi-Gain amp.

So depending on the requirement you should target the amp that fits the best. You can always put a pedal in front of the amp to tweak the basic sound for a little different flavor.

I have a Dual Rec and a Lonestar and love them both for the tones that i can get with these 2 amps, but would not be able to get the sounds of the other with either.

i would go with the Lone Star, if you aren't asking for very higain tones. wonderful cleans, great light-overdrive, but also some nice, big and powerful hard rock distortion.

Ok, so I was typing to post at the same time that the other guy was posting. Read what he said and I agree with EVERYTHING he said, 100%.

I have owned a Mark IIC+, a Mark IV, an SOB, (*reissue Mark I basically), an Early 2ch Dual Rec, Triaxis/2:90, and now the Ch3 Dual Rec and Lonestar Classic 1x12.

I don't think I'll be replacing either of the Mesa's I own this time. :)

I wanted to throw one more suggestion in for anyone reading this post.

If you own a Dual Rec, turn your speaker cabinet around, with the speakers facing the wall. You can crank the amp more without killing small animals in front of it. This will get you into the power amp more and will tame the buzzy preamp sound. Just my method of the madness.

Hope that helps.

Cool input, thanks much! I need to be able to dial in edgy, not entirely clean, blues tones as well as classic overdriven growl, ala Page, Montrose, Lifeson. I haven't checked out the Lonestar, but will now. What's the major consideration of that vs. Stiletto II?

The Lonestar won't get as high of gain as the Stiletto.
The Stiletto won't sound as clean/sparkly/chimey as a Lonestar.

The Lonestar is like a Fender Twin Plus.
The Stiletto is like a Marshal JCM800 on steroids.

You can use a pedal to Push the input on either amp to make it more versatile. I use a modded TS-9 for this with all my amps. It is a great way to get smooth, hi-gain at lower volumes.

And the tone shaping controls are different between the two amps.

I was also thinking that if you really liked the Stiletto, you may really LOVE the Lone Star for your style of playing.

Check out our review of the Lone Star below. Our review of the Stiletto Ace will be out on August 1.

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0706_MesaBoogieLoneStar.php

The Rectifier stuff is definitely not right for your style of playing.

Latest posts

Back