Need advice for best mesa or boogie for deathmetal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds promising!

I'll be digging out the MT2 metalzone for practice on Friday...
Let's see how nervous I can make the bass player/vocalist!

I wonder how it'd sound filthifying (it's a word now! :D ) the MT2 through the clean channel? :? :shock: 8) :lol: :twisted:

wonder how it'd sound filthifying (it's a word now!) the MT2 through the clean channel?

I thought the tone Sepultura had on Arise was badass (Marshall JCM 800)

Most people would say that's rediculous to run a tube amp with a solid state pedal like that, but you'd be surprised how good it sounds. You can skip the Mesa's preamp all together by just plugging the pedal into the 'Return' of the effects loop.

That's how Tony Norman in Monstrosity used to run his to get a tighter sound for faster tech death metal. The other guitarist in my band does the same as well as Vader and Decapitated back when they had Marshalls. I suspect Sepultura did on Arise also, but I can't be sure. I've asked around since they recorded that here in Tampa at Morrisound, but all I know for sure is that they used a Marshall JCM800 that belonged to the studio. 8)

If you're in australia check out the ENGL SE and Powerball - they are priced a lot better than the Mesa gear here..

If you have enough cash to purchase new, Diezel Herberts are about the same price as a Brand new Triple Rectifer here as well - they can be bought through:

http://www.energy-automation.ii.net/html/framesets/home_fs.html

2 Rocktron Hush units? I think a single ISP Decimator ProG Rack unit would suit you better - it can sit before and after you're pre amp and is designed with that in mind.

Also check the local market: Sherlock Fat Head is a versatile high-gainer that sits well within the Mesa and ENGL Metal territory. Check out some reviews on Harmony Central:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Sherlock+Amplifiers/Fat+Head/10/1

What band are you playing in?

/\ When it's set up that way through the Loop Return, none of the knobs on the front will effect the sound except for the Presence and the Reverb.

but do you know if Cannibal/etc. uses the MT2 to suck/scoop the mids out?

Their settings change slightly from venue to venue of course, but the MZ EQ is always pretty neutral. Try everything straight up or at 11 o'clock, Level on full, and Dist on Zero. It's a subtle change, but by ramming the front end of the Mesa when the amp is already set on KILL, it changes how the amp attack reacts.

The art is in holding all that noise back. It will be too much gain for most, completely uncontrollable and sloppy. Kinda' like a race horse or race car- a lot of power if you can control them, but since they want to run wide open, the wrong user will be out of control and crash.

If you can use your hands to keep it tight and quiet, you can unleash the brutality exactly when it's needed.

hmmm....

So it'd probably sound like cock and ballz through the front of the amp?

The band I was in two years ago, it would have been perfect having all that raw nastiness belching forth from the loop, but now I need to be able to clean up as often as not....hence my desire to run through the front and use the metalzone as an OD for extra filth....
I'll give it a try tonight....

/\ As far as slop and filth, running the MZ the way Cannibal does as a boost into the front is waaayy sloppier than running the MZ into the Return of the loop. The Loop method results in tight crisp distortion with no bass sag. If you set it up right, you'd really be surprised. It's a totally different sounding amp with not much in common with the Recto.

Here's an example of using both methods: (click on song #3 to hear it best)
http://www.myspace.com/skullhammerband

Left side the boost input method (a little too fuzzy)
Right side is MZ Loop method (similiar but crisp)

Start the song over and use your computers pan control to listen to each side seperately.

hey lurch! does pat use the pa-2 as just a solo boost, or does he run it as a constant boost ?. wow i`d love a day top pick your brain!!

He doesn't use the EMG booster at all. He thought it would work like a solo decibel boost without changing the tone, but all it does is add more distortion- so it turns into mud.

He's been using a wah pedal lately for solos. He said it acts like a filter to add more treble so the notes cut through better. (kinda' like Erik Rutan's solo sound- not as a 'wanker' device like Kirk Hammett uses it :lol: )

Ehh *****....
COuldn't find my AC adapter, and didn't have a 9V battery on hand.

FOund myself for REALLY wanting a bit of extra filth too....
NOt a lot, just a little bit of extra filth

Latest posts

Back