NAD: Roadster Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I did, :cry: I must have been loving the amp at the moment I wrote that... I did post on that again and considered the Roadster as an alternate to consider. I have a bipolar relationship with the Mark V (love/hate). When I feel the amp sound great and loving the sound stage it sometimes does something I find annoying or it craps out. I have had more issues with the Mark V than any other Mesa amp I have owned. Mark III over 24 years of faithful and reliable service. Sold it before getting the Mark V. The Mark IV on the other hand has been great for 14 years but seems outdated when compared to the Mark V. When I got the RA100 (felt the Mark V was missing or lacking the right stuff for a good classic rock character), I was amazed on how incredible just a two channel amp could be. Very straight forward and exceptional quality in workmanship, design, overall a class act. It can do metal with an OD on the front end but sounds great without it. The Roadster in my opinion is TOP DOG !. I just can't stop playing though it. After exploring all of the possibilities, change in tube characteristics, different speaker cabinets, full stack vs half stack. Every thing about the Roadster is amazing. As far as gain character, tone and overall performance, the Mark V does not compare. Sure it is nice to have the various tone and character of the older Mark Series amps, Mark IV, Mark IIC, and Mark I. It does a few things well, but lacks in other features. What I dislike about the Mark V which drives me nuts, ice pick tones that are difficult to tame. I generally run the treble low and boost the mid frequencies. I believe the issue with the super bright character is associated with the higher bias. I am so tempted to adjust it to match the Mark IV which at least is not an ice pick. The class A 45W power mode is not very pleasing either. This is the mode that is hard on power tubes and I usually red plate tubes in a few hours. I was playing around with a tube roll with the Mark V yesterday. I wanted to see how well the TAD6L6GC-STR would survive 45W mode. I had about 4 months of use or less on these tubes. 15 minutes is all it took to push a glow on the seam of the plates. I stopped before the red glow went any further. When I put the amp back together, I would up with a short in one of the outer tubes next to the one that was overheating. TAD6L6GC-STR are now toast (tubes were specifically bought for a hot bias for the Mark V), too bad they sounded really good too. I basically cannot run the Mark V in 45W mode (well I can but not for very long). :evil: To be honest, I believe the class A/B power section of the Roadster and RA100 sound way better in 50W than the class A circuit in 45W in either the Mark V or Mark IVB. At full power, the Roadster and RA100 just kick ***. Simul-Class 90W Class A/B mode just does not compare. It is not all that bad but a true Class A/B just sounds better. Tweed voice of the Mark V sounds good with low gain setting for an alternate clean, trying to get some dirt on that tends to become an ice pick very quickly. Roadster on the other hand is pure bliss in TWEED from clean to grinding :p The more I explore the Roadster, the more I love it :shock: As it seems, the more time I spend with the Roadster, the Mark V is becoming more of a disappointment, considering the cost is the same. I still enjoy the Mark V despite the issues I have had with it, not sure if it is a keeper at the moment (I must be having a bipolar moment with the V again). The Roadster and RA100 are definitely keepers. Considering I have the 5 band EQ pedal, I can get similar tones our of the Roadster (using an inverted V on the sliders, ^ vs v ). I have been playing with the eq in the loop. With an inverted V shape or ^ having the low and upper sliders at the center line I can use the effect as a mid boost that really brightens up the amp and gives it an edge in tone. I get the best of both worlds here without having to change tubes in V1 to a tung sol. The Roadster has really sold me on Mesa tubes too. I recently bought a full set for the Roadster so I have fresh replacements when the time comes.

Decided not to wait to use the new Mesa tubes. I found the SPAX7 to have just a slight different tone to it, perhaps it has a lower gain than the standard Mesa Branded JJ tube. I know they are the same. Also with new preamp tubes (yes I just got the amp and was not due for new tubes). Also had to make sure the tubes were received in good working order. Now the Roadster sounds better than it did when I first tuned it on. STR440 power tubes had the same color code as the originals. This amp does not fail to satisfy me.

As it seems, the Mark V appears to be flat or lacking something ever since I got the Roadster. I did get new complement of Mesa tubes for reserve but decided to install them in the Roadster. Why not try the preamp tubes I pulled from the Roadster and install them in the Mark V? That improved the V somewhat. Even put the power tubes in as well (still did not change anything, besides the SED = c= 6L6GC sounded best in the Mark V than other tubes). Before I tried the Mesa STR440's in the Mark V, I had to roll them into the RA100. That actually sounded good, Enhanced the low end a bit but the overall tone was still there. I may use them in the RA100 for a while. Considering I have not had much luck with Mesa power tubes in the Mark V , they did not remain in the amp for long, pulled them before I burned them up.

Since I am now familiar with the Roadster, there is one feature reminiscent of the Mark III, ability to use the power section by itself. Perhaps this can be done with the Mark V and Roadster (if a dummy jack is used on the send output). If so, I can drive the Roadster preamp though either RA100 or Mark V power section and vice versa. Why? just to hear the difference of the preamp and rule out the power section of the RA100 or Mark V. I believe even the Mark IV(b) has plenty of drive and does not lack anything when driving a 412 (EV or V30). I could just let dying dogs lay and not bother. In other respects, it may give me an idea how the Mark V would sound if I dropped the bias on the power tubes. Bias voltage on the Mark IV is -57V, bias on the Mark V is -51 (on paper) but what is it empirically? Mesa test their tubes with a -54V bias (at least on the back of the box but that just may be a graphic with artistic freedom). It is what it is, probably best to forget about it. Perhaps I am just not as happy with the Mark V? The Roadster is it for now and probably will remain the king of my studio for versatility and controllable gain from mild to monster. As is the case with most amps, preamp tubes will alter, effect, change, increase or decrease the characteristics of your amp. Most pleasing are the stock tubes in the Roadster. As it seems, the same can be said about the Mark V (except for power tubes). I cannot express enough about how great the Roaster is, what are the dislikes (nothing really comes to mind, unless you are trying to run the amp at bedroom levels).

I guess you have a lemon man... everyone seems so happy with theirs, don't think all Marks are tubes eating monsters (on 45w at least). And yes, I'm with you on the Roadster comments, one of the best amp around, period (maybe the best current Mesa?). For my money is a better option than the Mark V almost in every way (it's a thing you have to experience, not just think the Mark linage is better just because). I run my Roadster at bedroom levels (most of the times) and man, can't ask for more (I even like it more than the Rectoverb 25 in that scenario). I manage to dial my perfect liquid lead tone on ch3 - vintage, crushing rhythm on ch4 - modern, pushed clean/crunch on brit (loveeeeee it!), and the best clean I've heard on Tweed mode. When I tried the Mark V, the tweed mode was not even close to the Roadster's nor the rhythm, I lean towards the control and heaviness than the od saturation offer by the Mark... leads are a matter of taste but, can't ask for more. But yeah... at the end of the day I'm kind of interested on the Mark mini :lol:

This is subjective but...
lead: R=M (you have to work on the Roadster but believe me, is there and kick ***). Maybe I lean towards the Mark :roll: just saying, it's easier to play.
rhythm: R>M (no contest, Roadster is massive and not fizzy but... can flub easily, nothing is perfect I guess)
clean/tweed/fat: R>M (is fuller and richer in all modes... specially Tweed)
crunch: R<M (the Roadster's is excellent but... Think I'm giving the point to the Mark just because... I feel bad :oops: )

So... Where can I get a Roadster mini :lol: ... can you even get a better mini amp? :?:

Yeah, I may have a lemon Mark V. Perhaps the bias is not to spec which is an assumption only. However, I can get the same tubes to cook in the Mark IV at full power mode. Perhaps when tubes age and when they get weaker, so I am probably pushing them to their limits. So far the only tubes that seem to last up to 8 months of extended use are the SED =C=. I have not been able to get the seams to glow at 45W. Since the 45W mode is Class A, it is the hardest on one tube, the other operates as a ballast (or something like that). Other than that, it can sound great depending what I have dialed in.

I may agree with your subjective analogy between R and M. The crunch punch of CH2 of the Mark I think sound way better than Mark IV mode of CH3. The key to the CH2 voice is what tube is in V2. My favorite is an old Mesa Chinese square getter tube. Also love these in the RA100 for both channels (H/L = V1 and V2, Clean = V4 and V5) Still in debate over EL34 vs 6L6 in the RA100. Aside from that, gain on CH2 pushed to the max, 90W and volume set to clip the power tubes, as for eq, I use the preset control.

As for the super amp, Roadster can get a bit on the deep end of the sound spectrum in CH4. This is more apparent in the lower gain modes; vintage and raw. However, I have found the volume control on the guitar to be a very useful tool ( I am learning all over again that the volume does not need to be set to max on the instrument to sound good ). That would explain why I love the single coil super strat due to the lower amplitude of signal compared to the humbucker guitars. I have so far discovered a wide range of gain settings on all channels that give me what I want. Very useful pallet of controls on all channels. The MK5 tends to drown with higher gain settings in CH3 MKIV voice. Extreme on the other hand gets closer to the characteristics I like about the Roadster and RA100. Comparing any of the amps to each other will only reveal the differences between the models. What is more important is the enjoyment obtained. I was not expecting the Roadster to sound like the Mark or the Mark to sound like the Roadster or other. I probably would rate the Mark V with a better attitude had I not had the issues I have had with it. (reverb failed, not tube related, blown screen resistors, and untamable ice pick tone but can be reduced with low gain settings on CH3, CH1 tweed just sounds terrible as does CH2 edge. Similar to the Mark IV, you get two great sounding channels and one that sucks (RHY2) unless you are pushing a 412 cab then it sounds awesome).

I appear to have hijacked my own thread... :p

Just for kicks, decided to patch the Mark V preamp to the RA100, Mark IVb and Roadster power sections. At least I discovered that the ice pick is in the preamp and not the power amp part of the Mark V. (also ran the preamp of the Mark IVb to the Mark V power section, sounded no different than operating the Mark IV with its own power amp section) :cry: sort of a bummer. I guess I need to tube roll it again, and again or just sell it and be done. It did not seem to make a difference which power section of either amp I used, still sounded a bit too bright for my ears (Mark V preamp was loaded with Mesa branded JJ tubes). Still does not correct the issue I have in Class A 45W mode (sure kill red plate test). Another reason to get a tube bias meter and mod the bias circuit board with a pot and resistor. The filament transformer output may be on the high end of the spectrum. The -51V bias may be in need of adjustment but if the plate voltage and current are not checked, doing anything without checking plate voltage and current to verify idle power of the tube is a wasted effort. I would like to be able to use the 45W mode for more than 5 minutes without tube failure. At least I will have a better understanding what is happening in 45W mode (effects loop active or in hard bypass, this shifts the class A primary from one tube to the other). The amp works will in 90W mode as well as 10W mode, only the 45W mode poses an issue. As for the brightness issue, that can be cured with tone controls, EQ and a few changes in preamp tube selection.

Trick to using the RA100 as a slave power amp [power soak will work too] you need to put a dummy plug into the send jack. With the Mark V, you will also need to do the same to the return jack as this will disconnect the preamp from the output (also need to use the effects loop active, the Send level will act as a master for the slave amp). Trying this with the Mark IVb, the switch is in the send jack. Either way, the FX loop must be turned on via footswitch or by back panel selector, otherwise you will not have any signal sent to the slave.

Latest posts

Back