NAD Mark V. I LOVE it. A few coments and a question...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbow

Reaction score
First let me ask, it is probably in the manual but I can't seem to find it, I have tried... but... what does the Simulclass control on the back panel actually do? (edit> solved... Slave control, DOH!)

I got mine from Sweetwater and they opened it and checked it out because whoever MB used to ship it to them poked two rather large holes in the side of the box. The only casualty was a small hole poked part way through the manual. I may try to get a new one.

I got the bubinga with wicker front and it is stunning. I was pleasantly surprised that they included a cover and wheels. I am not a big guy, I am a "senior" at 62 and all the talk about this amp being too heavy... it isn't that bad. I also have a Fender CVR with Ragin Cajun speakers, the Mark V isn't much heavier than the Fender IMO. I wouldn't want to carry it up three flights of stairs but with the wheels or a road case, it would be no trouble for me so for someone younger, I don't see a problem.

I downloaded and read the manual before it got here so I had some idea of how to set it and I got some GREAT tones out of it right off. There are a couple of modes that I need to learn more about. I'm going to go through the manual with the amp and a guitar. I've only played an Am Deluxe Strat through it. Today I am going to try some Suhr P-90s and a Les Paul. I actually got it Wednesday PM and yesterday was my wife's birthday, so... I've been busy.

I like all three channels. I LOVE everything in channel one, I love Edge. Heck, it is just an awesome amp. I have no idea what took me so long. I guess I just always equated Mesa with nu-metal but this amp is really a wonder. It covers everything. I won't need another am but I am sure I am going to be getting another one... another Mesa Boogie.

I am really happy that I bought this amp, I have NO regrets, none! I'm glad I paid extra and got the wood and wicker. One day someone will inherit this amp because I will NEVER sell it! I do plan to buy a plain black head cab with a reverb tank installed fro Mesa so I can have that option if I ever want it.

If you haven't tried one of these amps... do yourself a favor and try one. I'd advise that you download and read the manual first because you can easily mess up the tone if you aren't aware of some "do's and dont's" for the different modes.

Bottom line: I am REALLY happy with this amp and hope someone can shed a little light on exactly what the Simulclass control knob does, or point me to the page in the manual.

Julien

There isn't a simul class control on the back, the only thing that controls the simul class functionality is the 90/45/10 W switches on the front (90 = simul class, 45 = class A, 10 = single-ended class A). Simul class means that the outer pair of output tubes is running in class A/B, while the inner pair is simultaneously running in class A. Just an educated guess, but I think you might be confusing the slave level control with it because it says "Simul-Class Power" underneath it.

Thanks... I only said I was a knife, I never said I was a sharp knife! I didn't bend down far enough to see "slave level" under the knob. If I am not using the slave function does it matter where the knob is set. I could have sworn that it sounded best set at noon, but it could be my imagination.

Thanks for the help. This reminds me of when I bought a Ford F-150 about 10 years ago. I got confused about the seat belt light and the arrow pointing to which side the gas cap is on... what is even worse, I took it back by the Ford dealer and the first person I talked to there was confused too, lol.

I think I see a TA in my future too!

Julien

No worries man, trust me I've done way dumber things :lol: But yeah, if you're not using the slave out, then it won't make a difference where it's set. Mesa suggests that you leave it all the way down if you're not using it though, just so you don't blow your ears (or speakers or whatever else) out when you plug it in.

jbow said:
Thanks... I only said I was a knife, I never said I was a sharp knife! I didn't bend down far enough to see "slave level" under the knob. If I am not using the slave function does it matter where the knob is set. I could have sworn that it sounded best set at noon, but it could be my imagination.

Thanks for the help. This reminds me of when I bought a Ford F-150 about 10 years ago. I got confused about the seat belt light and the arrow pointing to which side the gas cap is on... what is even worse, I took it back by the Ford dealer and the first person I talked to there was confused too, lol.

I think I see a TA in my future too!

Julien

The Slave Out isn't really a "function," it's just a line out that is tapped off of the output transformer, and is used if you want to connect the Mark V to an additional (slave) power amp. The knob is the output level of that line signal, and has no bearing on how the amp sounds.

As for the TA, they're addictive as well. I've had a Mark V since 2009, and a TA-15 for about a year.

Latest posts

Back