NAD-60 watt C+ (gut shots) Questions,please help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Leggs

Reaction score
Hey All, I bought this SR plus because the price was crazy low, the guy bought some equipment in bulk and I believe he didn't know what he had. I hesitated because of some of the things I've heard about 60 watt C+'s but pulled the trigger anyway. I gotta say this amp sounds incredible. I feel the 60's are under rated. I've provided quite a few gut shots and would like some feedback from those of you that know these amps. some of my questions are --

1). Over all dose the amp look stock to you ?
2). Do you see any thing of concern ?
3). The outlet for the fan is missing, I've been plugging the fan into the external outlet. Is it hard to reconnect or should I just leave it alone.
4). What kind of tubes are the pre-amp tubes (mesa sp12axt was in v1 dose it look older?
5). What do you think of the 427 power tubes. when did they start using those?
6). Is there any way to determine how old the caps are (has it been recapped)?
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for taking time out to look it over.
UYy0uM.jpg

aCMOrh.jpg

ysXBcD.jpg

aIx1Vx.jpg

brw3ox.jpg

gzxK2f.jpg

f9zP8m.jpg

Wiug2p.jpg

Celfee.jpg

I believe the amp hasn't been recapped according to the date-codes (1984 for the 30µF and 1985 for the 220µF).

After a quick look, it seems stock to me, can't see anything to be concerned about. :wink:

loylo69 said:
I believe the amp hasn't been recapped according to the date-codes (1984 for the 30µF and 1985 for the 220µF).

After a quick look, it seems stock to me, can't see anything to be concerned about. :wink:
Thanks for the info. I would like to know what make the pre-amp tubes are and when did mesa start using 427's and any thoughts on those. Looking at the photo of the tubes this morning, their not great photos. I'll retake the tube shots later today when I have time unless someone can tell from the photos I posted. Thanks again

Edit: Better photo of the pre-amp tubes. Any info would be appreciated. (manufacturer, possible dates) I couldn't find anything on a search. Also, is there anything special about the 1 mesa sp12ax7, it looks different to me. Also any other feed back about the tubes or the amp would be appreciated. THANK YOU !!!

AavOmT.jpg

Man the insides of that are mint.Looks like it just came out of the Mesa factory yesterday.P.s the SPAX7 tube is a "higher end" low noise tube that is apparently less prone to microphonic issues.It's been tested more by Mesa!

tony777 said:
The 60 watts option doesn't come with a fan originally.

That didn't occur to me but it explains why I don't see evidence of a dis connected fan outlet.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I sure would like to know what make/year the other 4 pre-amp tubes are. :?

The insides look all original from the pics.
Not sure of the flying lead small cap over the reverb driver socket - kinda looks like an add-on at manufacture but may well be common. I don't get many through Down Under...
I'd be replacing the the usual caps as routine.
Re preamp tubes - the yellow and fonts and that "8" and "T" underneath is very RFT looking.
The 427's look rather Sylvania-like but I'm sure someone will be able to help more. I've not seen any 427's to date..

Good luck with it - not that you'll need it fromt he looks of the pics - congrats !!

snorkel54 said:
The preamp tubes look like it's Tungsram IMHO :wink:

Yep, I compared the ones in questions to some Tungsrams that I had in a different amp. Perfect match. I didn't remember what Tungsrams looked like, I remember them looking much different. The markings threw me off. Thank you to every one that contributed to this thread.

5n1uOR.jpg

Yep,looks all original.I would change those filter caps.Play it for a short time then have it re-capped and you will definately hear and feel a big improvement in the tone and response,particularly in the bass,but overall indeed.Use only good quality,Sprague Atom,F&T or if you can get the BMI's from Mesa.Once you have the power supply up to snuff you can begin assessing the tubes.

Back