NAD 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STONEHEAD

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post here. Just picked up a brand spanking new Express 5:50 and all I can say is WOW! what an amp. Been playing it all week and it just keeps getting better. So i thought i would come over to the Boogie Board and introduce myself and rave about this amp. Seen a number on negative reviews on this thing and I have to shake my head in wonder as to how anyone could not get a good tone out of this amp. I just sold my beloved Marshall VM because the 5:50 just smokes it in every way (well except for that Marshally high gain bite) but it comes close enough. It is a very versatile amp and i think it is highly under rated. It's my first Boogie so please excuse the gushing :eek: .

DSC04687.jpg

Congrats and welcome!!

I've had my 5:50 for a few months now and I'm still blown away every time I plug in so your gushing is normal. LOL!

Newysurfer said:
Welcome to the Boogie Board Stonehead :mrgreen:
We have a small but friendly little group of Express guys here

...And we LOVE our Express Amps....

Welcome! I've had my 5:50 for almost two years now, it is my main amp. I don't think I've seen any bad reviews or posts for the 5:50. I will say I find the majority of tones I like between 10-2 on the knobs, and there is a lot of variation in that range. Turning things to the extreme has not produced anything I like and I wonder if that could be where players go wrong and then blame the amp.

DSCN2488.jpg

Most of the negative comments have been from people comparing it to the Lonestar (cleans) or Roadster (gains) which are an entirely different class of amplifier. It has also been compared unfavourably to F50. Apparently the F50 has more gain on tap but i don't know I have never played one. I think a lot of people buy this amp expecting extreme metal gains and are disappointed then slag the amp, or they just do not understand the EQing then slag the amp. Not sure Mesa was going for a super hi gain amp with the express series. :?:
I think the 5:50 is a hell of a nice amp for the price and it has beautiful cleans, excellent crunch and awesome burn channel, very versatile and well rounded sound. Weighs a frick'n ton but it's built like a tank so gotta expect some weight :wink: .

STONEHEAD said:
Most of the negative comments have been from people comparing it to the Lonestar (cleans) or Roadster (gains) which are an entirely different class of amplifier. It has also been compared unfavourably to F50. Apparently the F50 has more gain on tap but i don't know I have never played one. I think a lot of people buy this amp expecting extreme metal gains and are disappointed then slag the amp, or they just do not understand the EQing then slag the amp. Not sure Mesa was going for a super hi gain amp with the express series. :?:
I think the 5:50 is a hell of a nice amp for the price and it has beautiful cleans, excellent crunch and awesome burn channel, very versatile and well rounded sound. Weighs a frick'n ton but it's built like a tank so gotta expect some weight :wink: .

yeah that's pretty much it imo.
I bought mine soon after it was released and at that time there were quite a few threads on here from Rectifier using metal heads moaning on about how the 5:50 doesn't have enuf gain, can't do nu-metal tones, doesn't sound like a Recto or an F-50 - blah blah.
They hate Lonestars even more hehe.
They basically hate anything that won't do a blasting tuned down chug and they never play clean or light OD

The Express is it's own beast though and is not a clone of anything else - much to the disappointment of the metal heads.
The Express is still a high gain amp though imo, but it has better cleans, reverb & OD than an F-50.
Plus it's easier to dial in than most Mesa's
It has a series loop (F Series does not), is lighter and is more versatile.

My summary of the 5:50 is that it's basically a Lonestar Classic with lots more gain, easier to dial in, is 30 pounds lighter and $500 cheaper :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back