My verdict: LSC vs. LSS vs. 5:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
Tonight I tried out a 5:25 Express and a Lonestar Special. Two caveats: I didn't side-by-side them with my LSC and I didn't use my guitar (a Parker Fly Mojo). I did use a nice guitar (Eric Johnson strat). My verdict:

-5:25
This amp was simply too small for my purposes; I wasn't able to get anywhere near the richness or bigness of the LSC (obviously); furthermore, the gain channel was VERY noisy. I've read about that here and it does seem to be a problem.

Verdict: Would probably be a great small amp to cart around but nowhere near an LSC

-LSS
This amp was warm and rich in the clean channel; quite different from the LSC, obviously. I wasn't able to get the kind of depth and clarity out of it that I'm experiencing with the LSC; but I haven't spent that much time with it. I does seem that naturally the LSC has much more headroom and with the 10 watt option on the '07 model you get the class A as well. I found the gain sounds not as sweet as the LSC. I've read some threads about harsh harmonic content and I experienced that in a way I simply haven't with the LSC.

Verdict: If an EL84 amp is what you're after this one is great. I just returned a Vox AC30 Custom Classic in favor of the LSC and actually, if I really just wanted the EL84 sound, it might be the Vox I'd go with although it is not as versatile as the LSS.

Summary: LSC is it for me; partly personal: that's the sound I want. Also, some more objective standards: the 100w headroom for clean is huge, the clarity and detail of 6L6 is really great, the gain channel seems sweeter, and the 10w Class A mode gives you the best of most worlds.

The only unsolvable problem is the weight; even the LSS 1x12 is significantly easier to hoist (and I think it comes with wheels, not sure). So, this is what it looks like for me:

-In rehearsal space (i.e. garage) no problem; leave Boney the Lonestar (as my daughter named it) sitting on a bench
-For gigs:
--Turn amp sideways on bench
--Slip on wheels
--HEAVE
--Roll (carefully) to van
--HEAVE
--Drive to gig
--HEAVE
--Roll carefully to stage
--HEAVE

I play a mojo through a NOS retubed LSS, and for me the lower headroom is more than made up for by the (to my ears) sweeter and more articulate tone. That said, it takes weeks of tweaking and the stock tubes don't do the amp justice. I did the side by side thing with the mojo a couple of times before going for the LSS, as the LSC sounded good too.

The overdrive sound on the first couple of demo tracks here www.myspace.com/fudjmusic will give you the overdrive tone I get with that combination.

Nice Review,

I originally bought an LSS, then added a 5:25 (cool amp) and just got an LSC

I traded in the 5:25 for the LSC

I like the 5:25, but the bigger richer clean tones out of the Lonestars
won out

I just got the LSC in 2x12 and still can't believe how rich it sounds
Fantastic all around amp

I'm quite fond of the LSS as well, and funny you mention Vox
cuz I've been swappin speakers in my LSS with Celestion Blues
and Weber Blue Dogs, and keep thinking, this sounds "too Vox"
but it's a great tone

Currently have the Weber Blue Dog in the 1x12 LSS, and
the stock C-90s in the LSC, so between the 2, I cover a
whole bunch of tones

timmerel said:
I play a mojo through a NOS retubed LSS, and for me the lower headroom is more than made up for by the (to my ears) sweeter and more articulate tone. That said, it takes weeks of tweaking and the stock tubes don't do the amp justice. I did the side by side thing with the mojo a couple of times before going for the LSS, as the LSC sounded good too.

The overdrive sound on the first couple of demo tracks here www.myspace.com/fudjmusic will give you the overdrive tone I get with that combination.

that's some upbeat stuff there timmerel, along with some truly....remarkable, tones!

Did you try a 5:50? I like that one the best, for the money, and think it's the closest to the LSC, and you save $400.

Back