My Road King Is Here...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check your preamp tubes.

When I received my amp the first preamp tube in mine was cracked from shipping. The tube was actually cracked in half and looked like it had white powder in it. I had a similar thing where the volume was all the way up and there was hardly any sound, except it was that way on every channel.

razor7 said:
Check your preamp tubes.

When I received my amp the first preamp tube in mine was cracked from shipping. The tube was actually cracked in half and looked like it had white powder in it. I had a similar thing where the volume was all the way up and there was hardly any sound, except it was that way on every channel.

Thanks razor7. Hope you're right. I'd be surprised to find a broken preamp tube since there's no sign of damage at all. Still, it sounds exactly like you describe. I may have the problem on all channels too. I only tried 3 and 4.

Mine was the first preamp tube I don't know if thats all the way left or all the way right of the 6 preamp tubes.

Actually mesa said it is normal for the 1st preamp tube to break in shipping.

Got this from the mesa store on power tubes check it out if you like.

http://store.yahoo.com/mesa/whattubtotub.html

These are signs preamp tubes need replacing.
Preamp Tubes:
• Hissing, 'shooshing'.
• Sputtering, 'grumbling'.
• Microphonic squealing (feedback type sound).
• Loss in signal in one or more modes of the amp (channel, reverb, fx-loop)

let me know how you make out

Razor7, you hit it right on the head. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This morning, I popped the metal brace off and pulled the two EL34s out so I could better get at the preamp tubes.

V2 was cracked and clouded. I replaced it with a spare JJ ECC83 I had and everything is fine now. I'm still calling Mesa tomorrow and asking for a replacement so I can break in a stock Road King before I make tube changes.

I still can't change channels with the Kontroller so I just set it to Channel 4 and played for about 10 minutes. I still can't review it for anyone even on the Channel I played because I couldn't open it up.

That said, Channel 4 is at the very least, extremely usable at low volumes. Not what I bought this head for, still it has good punch and not at all muddy in the Modern mode on Ch. 4. For low volume or late night practice, I recommend the Vintage mode. It rolls some highs off so it smooths things out. Plus, it's a bit less volume too.

I'm real happy right now. I'll spend more time with it as soon as the wife and kids are out of the house.

Peace!

Dave

Nice.

Where is the reverb? Did they swap it out with something else?
Looks to have the same knobs as the first RK's front panel.

Hi, i finally received my Roadking 2 about 2 weeks ago but for some reasons i didn't have much time to play with it. I was waiting for it since September 6 2005.

RoadKing2.jpg

All i can say is WOW :shock: , what a superb piece of equipement, but man there's a lot of buttons an settings. It's almost scarry. And like the others lucky owners, i too am in the long process of tweeking it.

As far as the sound, BRUTAL :twisted:

Latest posts

Back