My Holy Grail Recto Tone - looking for tips.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoc

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have had a tone burnt into my memory since I first heard it... It was produced with a PRS guitar through a Rectifier... It was a live broadcast on SNL... it was Creed of all bands (I found it surprising at the time because I had no idea they did stuff this heavy).

Here is a link. Unfortunately it's probably a VHS recording and the sound quality isn't the greatest BUT you can totally hear the tone I'm referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmbDvpPY-hA

That full-on saturation is just incredible, and when the open D chord rings out, well it just doesn't get any more high-octane sounding than that. It's the reason why I got a Rectifier series amp (Roadster 2x12 combo), but I've never been able to come close to replicating it. I fear that the reason is that I'd have to push the volume up to insanely loud levels to get the amp to saturate like that. Anybody agree/disagree, or better yet, has anybody gotten that sound out of a Recto.?

Interestingly enough, the album version of this track (Bullets) sounds almost exactly the same, even though the album must be at least double-tracked.

Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks!

Like Nitro says, post all your settings and what channel you are using. Doesnt sound anything special. Thats what a rectifier sounds like.

Welllll, now I want to go home and learn how to play that song, but I'm not expecting to have any difficulty dialing in the sound, either.

I've got a RoadKing II and I don't think I'd need to hit the EL34s or anything to dial it in. One thing that I do that might make a difference for you: I turn the output up to about 2pm and then set the channel master volume low.

I'd like to try this on both Channel 3 Vintage and Channel 4 Modern, but I expect that Channel 4's Modern should be able to match that handily.

The only time I've ever turned the volumes the opposite direction (dime the channel master volume and keep the output volume low) is for Channel 2's Brit mode. For whatever reason, Brit sounds better that way than Modern and Vintage do.

Note: I only play Vintage on Channel 3 and only play Modern on Channel 4 - that's what they're optimized for on the Road King/Roadster.

-Daniel

Here's some info I got for my mini. May be helpful.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=61192&p=426344&hilit=recto+tone#p426344

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=56783&p=401528&hilit=rectifier+tone#p401528

According to his website, he uses a Tube Screamer TS9 and Klon Centaur to push the signal into the amp. I saw a video where he's gone kind of boutique lately, but I would imagine his younger self with the TS9 and the Recto.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Amps/Mark-Tremonti-s-Recto-Settings/td-p/25237376

Look at the third post down. It seems he adds a lot of bass to compensate for the mid boost and Modern is his mode.

I hate Creed (mostly Scott "Jock Strap" Stapp), but Mark's tone was pretty good and his guitars on the new Alter Bridge are freaking awesome.

Yeah I'm a big Mark Tremonti fan. I didn't get into him until way after Creed broke up, but I listen to his stuff (Alter Bridge) every day. You can see in the video that he isn't only using one amp. And if you google Alter Bridge or Mark Tremonti + rig rundown you can see his rig. He uses several amps, but of course a Recto has always been one of them. Plus, Myles Kennedy adds his guitar sound in the mix as well. I have Tremonti's sig wah, and sig PRS "Treble" pickup (in a schecter C-1 Blackjack), and that pickup is a huge part of his tone. Just had to tell you that little secret... :)

Mark's settings are very unique. If I remember he pushes the bass all the way up. Go on youtube for a little bit and search mark tremonti gear and you will eventually come across a video where he shows his settings. I believe he was playing with alter bridge at the time of the video.

Elpelotero said:
Mark's settings are very unique. If I remember he pushes the bass all the way up. Go on youtube for a little bit and search mark tremonti gear and you will eventually come across a video where he shows his settings. I believe he was playing with alter bridge at the time of the video.

Wasn't Alter Bridge formed after Creed broke up?

Apoc said:
Elpelotero said:

Wasn't Alter Bridge formed after Creed broke up?
Yes.

I think his guitar tone on his solo album is his best yet.

Dom

Dont think you can go off his setting from a this is my rigg video. Lots of moving parts there.
No way his triples are stock. What tubes, transformers pot values etc. Also his pickups in his guitar
are very bright. Allot of parts to that puzzle. Mine sounds nothing like another recto either. You start
developing your tone after a while. My stock dual I picked up sounds nothing like my triple totally
different beautiful monsters.

6l6russ said:
Dont think you can go off his setting from a this is my rigg video. Lots of moving parts there.
No way his triples are stock. What tubes, transformers pot values etc. Also his pickups in his guitar
are very bright. Allot of parts to that puzzle. Mine sounds nothing like another recto either. You start
developing your tone after a while. My stock dual I picked up sounds nothing like my triple totally
different beautiful monsters.

His PRS signature Treble pickup (and he uses mainly 1 sig PRS guitar) is not that bright, it's the ballsiest pickup I've played, ever. And why do you think he had his amps modded? You can hear the recto sound through the many layers of amps he uses if you listen.

Apoc said:
Hello everyone, I have had a tone burnt into my memory since I first heard it... It was produced with a PRS guitar through a Rectifier... It was a live broadcast on SNL... it was Creed of all bands (I found it surprising at the time because I had no idea they did stuff this heavy).

Here is a link. Unfortunately it's probably a VHS recording and the sound quality isn't the greatest BUT you can totally hear the tone I'm referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmbDvpPY-hA

That full-on saturation is just incredible, and when the open D chord rings out, well it just doesn't get any more high-octane sounding than that. It's the reason why I got a Rectifier series amp (Roadster 2x12 combo), but I've never been able to come close to replicating it. I fear that the reason is that I'd have to push the volume up to insanely loud levels to get the amp to saturate like that. Anybody agree/disagree, or better yet, has anybody gotten that sound out of a Recto.?

Interestingly enough, the album version of this track (Bullets) sounds almost exactly the same, even though the album must be at least double-tracked.

Any feedback would be appreciated - thanks!

nice video man, wow, nice tone.. its cool you found the sound your looking for... good luck with the amp.. looks like really early creed... and didnt know they were that heavy either. thanks for the video link...

Marks recto's are stock, in the studio he records with a dual and for live he uses the triple for headroom. In the old days he use to have 2x15 cabs as well as the 4x12 oversized but stopped using the 2x15's at some point, however he has always used direct boxes to the PA and the speaker cabinets are just for stage volume.

Its been a while since i saw that clip. I hope my recto doesn't sound that fizzy though.... Mark Tremonti is the man though. Solo project is great. He isn't the best singer but it works.

There's a lot more involving Mark's live sound than just a Boogie - like a Bogner running with the Triple and even an EQ from Behringer, for example.
Maybe this interview can be useful:
http://www.vintageguitar.com/13821/mark-tremonti/

... and another one:
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Rig_Rundown_Creeds_Mark_Tremonti

Finally, this site and his equipment section (you might find the rack segment interesting) :
http://www.marktremonti.net/equipment.php

Back