my book on building pro guitar rigs is out!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottkahn

Reaction score
If you're new to rack gear in general, and whether or not you love a full rack setup like the Triaxis/2:Ninety or just using a rack for effects and other components in your rig, I have released a new book through Hal-Leonard that you'll find pretty cool (it's the only title of its kind on the market)...

Modern Guitar Rigs: The Tone Fanatic's Guide to Integrating Amps & Effects

and if my fellow Boogie Boarders living in the USA want to get it for 25% off and free shipping, just visit MusicPlayers.com and click any of the book banner ads on the site that go to musicdispatch.com -- the custom landing page has a discount code on it for the book. For everyone else, there's Amazon and Amazon UK.

Best,

Scott

See below what the book covers:

mgr_cover_front.jpg

mgr_cover_back.jpg

Hi Scott I happened upon a add for your book and pre-ordered it as soon as I read the title. I'm about a third of the way though it so far and am thoroughly enjoying it. Nice to have this subject matter all put together under one cover, it's a great resource. Thanks for making the effort on the subject.

AWESOME!!

I'll definitely be getting this....you don't know how long I've waited for a book like this.

Rack gear has always intimidated me until recently.

I just put together a small rack and this will no doubt help in fine tuning it.

Thanks guys!

I've been playing Boogie rigs for a long time.
First one I owned was a Nomad 55w combo.
Then, Triaxis with the old 50:50 and then the 2:Fifty.
Next, DR Road King 2.
Next, Triaxis with 2:Ninety. (I missed the rack)

Next will probably be a Mark V, or maybe a Roadster. I never liked the EL-34 tone for my own music. But at present my A rig is Engl.

If you have any questions on the book content, let me know. I'm easy to find here, at HRI, or of course MusicPlayers.com.

Scott

Hey Scott, I'm going to order this one the next time I pay the local music store a visit. I'm selling off most of my gear, but it's really hard to get a good price for rack units these days. Therefore, I'm building a nice rack with some of the things I'm keeping and your book would be a great help.

Thank you for putting all of that on paper ! 8)

I don't know if it's being stocked yet at music stores -- the buyers first saw it last month at summer NAMM, but at the top of this thread is info on how to get a big discount on the book. Plus, Amazon is discounting it nicely, too.

Scott, does this book explain, in depth, how some of the 'pros' set up their rig, or is it more of a walk through of what they have in their rigs? I'm really interested in seeing what connects to what, etc...that might tempt me to buy!

Definitely! It's an in-depth look at the rigs from Alex Lifeson, John Petrucci, Steven Wilson and John Wesley. I explain the signal routing in depth. Alex's rig details are over the top with diagrams and photos beyond the textual descriptions - you could operate his rig after reading this. There are no diagrams for the other rigs because none of those guys do rig diagrams (a surprise for Petrucci's rigs) but all of Petrucci's rigs are built nearly the same way (plenty of detailed photos). I discuss all the signal routing through the.components well enough that you should be able to draw your own diagram from reading. And this is just one chapter. The book has multiple rig diagrams showing how to use many popular products in your rig design.

ScottScott

Cool!

And hey... if you have a question about any of those rigs that wasn't clear enough in the book, and I don't have an answer for it, I can go to all of those guys directly for the answer :).

Scott

Ask Alex if he remembers me in NY behind the Palladium in 1979 reaching into his limo for an autograph as they were pulling away after the Hemisphere's concert... :lol:

Great book, and reference!

Would love to order it! Even though Ive had work on my racks done by Bradshaw, Skrydstrup, and Mario from Axess, its always good to get someone else's perspective on rack building!... :D

My book features products from all of those guys, actually :).

People can go to forums and ask lots of questions, but part of the idea behind the book was putting all the different pieces of the pro rig together in a logical organization that helps you understand how and where all the pieces fit.

If you're comfortable building rigs with gear from Axxess, CAE, and Skrydstrup, I probably won't be saying much that you don't already know... but I always find a few useful things in books on subjects I think I know a lot about, so you never know!

:)

Heres one, post Bradshaw..just had the RS 10 and interface taken out and a switchblade gl and axcess FX1 epx. installed...Gettin ready for the new RJM pedalboard..saw pics of it- should be mind blower..and, yes all these cabs are hooked up and runnin off the poweramps...sounds like GOD, well almost..God allows me to own such a rig.
066.jpg
062.jpg
also added a mesa strategy 500 for some help.

Session work in the PA area.Studio work.Rig rental/opener for major headliners in PA. Some small touring on east coast as needed,as hired.Country/ Pop/Top 40, and of course the Shred thing...Thinkin bout switching out all my george L wiring for lava cable...not decided yet..only if its an upgrade, not a downgrade..I bought your book for a bunch of friends last christmas.

Very cool about the book -- thanks for the support!

I wouldn't waste the effort on switching out George L for Lava, personally. Both are excellent choices, and swapping out one set of custom wires for another is going to make such a small difference that you may be the only person who hears the difference... barely. It's not like swapping out store-brand patch cords for quality cables.

I would leave the big rig alone and just build a new, more compact rig so you have a nice other rig for times when you don't have a crew of 4 to move things around. :)

Scott

Is there a difference in sound quality and/or reliability between the George L and Lava cables?

Latest posts

Back