MultiFX processors with the Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeadlessAxeman

Reaction score
Anyone using Line 6 / Boss / TC Electronic MultiFX pedals with the Mark V?

I'm using a BOSS GT10 in the fx loop and I thought I had found a way to compensate for the loss in tone and harmonics and the attack by engaging the FX1 (Advanced Compressor: Boss CS3) in the fx loop - but it's not the best trick out there.

I'm looking to reuse my GT10 for fx as opposed to building out a custom patch cable mess with true bypass pedals.

The problem is simply this: Noting the fact that engaging the LOOP FX vs HARD BYPASS itself changes the sound by a little bit, the issue is a further loss in tone even though the BOSS GT10 has no FX on at all, but engaged in the fx loop (SEND/RECEIVE level both at NOON on the GT 10 and the SEND KNOB on the MARK V is also Set at NOON and MARK V Footswitch FX Switch ON). This is truly dissatisfying because when I want to use the GT10 for time based fx loops or just NOISE Cancellation - the attack on the amp goes spongy. When I switch off the FX Switch on the Mark V footswitch the attack and presence comes back and sounds great with some minimal hum.

One solution I had was to roll back the FX SEND LEVEL on the MARK V from the default 12 0 clock position to 10 o clock to make sure the attack/presence doesn't change when the MARK V FX Footwswitch is in ON OR OFF position ..... :oops: :oops: realized this takes away from the harmonic richness and the chords don't scream anymore - just sound like Dave Mustaine's sound from the 80's :) Harsh - brittle and mush! If I push the FX SEND know in the the opposite direction to 2 o clock the tone goes overtly fat (great for leadsy sounds) but loses all attack :evil:

Figured I'd describe my problem as much in detail as possible to see if anyone has dealt with this situation before and found a work-around (apart from throwing the GT10 out the 13th floor window) :mrgreen:

I must add that ScreamingDaisy's tip of playing in 90W mode/Variac works to an extent..but not fully to the extent that it should (perhaps its just bad quality buffers in the GT10?)

Spare a thought...?

The Mark V's FX loop is extremely sensitive. I tried using my GT-8 with my first Mark V and noticed the same things you are noticing. It worked great with the 3 amps I had prior to the V. I decided to sell the GT-8 and only use a high quality delay in the loop after that discovery.

Thanks MusicManJP6 ..good to know that someone else went through the same thing with a similar MultiFX proc.

hmmm........

HeadlessAxeman said:
Figured I'd describe my problem as much in detail as possible to see if anyone has dealt with this situation before and found a work-around (apart from throwing the GT10 out the 13th floor window) :mrgreen:

The 1st or 2nd floor should suffice :wink:

High quality analog effects in the loop is the best solution. Digitizing the preamp signal, applying digital effects and converting it back will inevitably cause a loss in tone. Just be sure you get a pedal which can accept the higher line level signal from the FX send.

I'm running a G-System with mine, and it took a bit of tweaking to get all of the levels sorted out. Everything is good now, but the process had me thinking of chucking the whole mess off of a tower myself!

SteveO said:
I'm running a G-System with mine, and it took a bit of tweaking to get all of the levels sorted out.
I've tried level matching as well - across all the stages / fx that are on (and using a flat cut EQ on any effects so as not to modify the tone). I suppose its finally going to boil down to matching the send/fx and volume knobs in a few places..what are your send/receive levels like and on the Mark V: channel master and Output volumes like?

I tend to keep my channel master at or about noon but keep my output on the lower side ( can also lower output on the GT10 Or reduce Patch Level Or change up the Send/Receive on the GT10). Haven't found the sweet spot yet.

MusicManJP6 said:
Or keep your channel master volume in check...
Hmm..interesting..gotta see what that does today ..I figured with the FX loop engaged..its the master output knob (and NOT the Channel Master Volume) that controls the final signal level..

SteveO said:
I'm running a G-System with mine, and it took a bit of tweaking to get all of the levels sorted out. Everything is good now, but the process had me thinking of chucking the whole mess off of a tower myself!

I'm using the g sys with my mark v. And I'm tweaking at the minute as I've just got my mark v head. I'm curious what are some of the tweaks and levels you have with yours?

Thanks

Paul

I am currently using a TC Electronics G-Major 2. I have it in the effects loop with the mix set to around noon. Both input and outputs on the GM2 set to around 1:00. Everything is harmonious. :wink: In a live situation I run Fat/Bold at 90Watts and Crunch/Tube Rec and Mark IV/Pentode at 45 Watts. The Channel master is set to around 9:00 and the Master to around 11. I hope that these levels helps at least little.

paulg2uk said:
SteveO said:

I'm using the g sys with my mark v. And I'm tweaking at the minute as I've just got my mark v head. I'm curious what are some of the tweaks and levels you have with yours?

Thanks

Paul

Don't have the unit hooked up at the moment to give you exact numbers, but I simply set the input level using one of my humbucker guitars, then set the loop level after that, and then fine-tuned my channel masters on the amp to keep the levels from peaking. An occasional flashing of the red level on the G/S is fine as long as there is no audible distortion. The best way to get it dialed in is to follow Laird Williams' White Paper, which is stickied over on the TC Electronics forum.

SteveO said:
paulg2uk said:
SteveO said:

Thanks

Paul

Don't have the unit hooked up at the moment to give you exact numbers, but I simply set the input level using one of my humbucker guitars, then set the loop level after that, and then fine-tuned my channel masters on the amp to keep the levels from peaking. An occasional flashing of the red level on the G/S is fine as long as there is no audible distortion. The best way to get it dialed in is to follow Laird Williams' White Paper, which is stickied over on the TC Electronics forum.

I've got to the g sys setup pretty good as i used to use it with my road king and have read the white paper. Was just interested to see if the mark v settings were different to the road kings.

borrowing the conversation from a parallel thread...

I realize that my current level on the Boss GT10 is set to -10dB....and not +4dB.
However I have a feeling if I raise it to +4 tonight..its going sound real sloppy.

My chain:
Guitar->Shure Wireless->Mesa Mark V (with Boss GT10 in FX loop) -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 Horiz cab AND
Slave Out/Shure SM57A -> TC Electronic Desktop Konnect 6 firewire / Creative X-Fi Titanium sound card into Reaper DAW with Speaker Cab IR's (for mesa slave signal)

I have the line 6 m13 in the loop. I like how it sounds and performs with the V.

satch4u3 said:
I am currently using a TC Electronics G-Major 2. I have it in the effects loop with the mix set to around noon. Both input and outputs on the GM2 set to around 1:00. Everything is harmonious. :wink: In a live situation I run Fat/Bold at 90Watts and Crunch/Tube Rec and Mark IV/Pentode at 45 Watts. The Channel master is set to around 9:00 and the Master to around 11. I hope that these levels helps at least little.

satch...have you attempted and/or do you use the channel switching capability?

I've read - with the correct amp settings - it can channel switch the Mark V. Again...channel switch ONLY, not EQ, Solo, loop on/off.

Your or anyone else's reply would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get a good multiFX unit to run in the Mark V's loop.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back