Multi-Watt. OK to change while amp is on?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyldh

Reaction score
Hello,

This may be a dumb question, but is it OK to change up the Multi-Watt selection while the amp is turned on?

I just got a Mark V:35 and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to hurt anything by swapping between 35, 25, and 10 watts while the amp was on. I don't know WHY this would hurt anything, but it just felt like something I should verify. Haha. I did look through the manual and didn't see anything about it, so I assume it's OK.

Thanks in advance.

My Roadster has multi-watt but there are certain channels I leave in 50w and certain I leave in 100w and never really had the need/want to change them on the fly.

Apparently so, though I don't like it.
Boogie say you can switch between wattages with channels from the footswitch. So on my 90watt I could go channel 3 on 45 watt to channel 2 on 90watt to channel 1 on 10 watt. Presumably which is why the power selectors are on the front of the amp. Rather than a single switch on the back of the amp like it was with previous Marks.
Switching to the 10watt option will produce a pop from the speaker.

However it's not something I like doing. Call it superstition. I decide what power option I'm using and use that across the channels. And when I want to change that setting, I put the amp in standby. As I said though, I'm a superstitious old fuddy duddy

I change wattage on the fly...even while fretting a chord and letting it ring through the amp...
Not all the time though, just when I'm tweaking.

My thought on the issue is you are not removing the power. I believe that it is the power tubes that really hate the power being shut off without a "Stand By" cool down before shutting the amp down.

I never take mine off of 90watt... I experimented with the watt selection when I first got the amp. I gigged switching from power to power depending on room size, indoor, outdoor and as it turns out 90 watt does it all...for me.

kyldh said:
Hello,

This may be a dumb question, but is it OK to change up the Multi-Watt selection while the amp is turned on?

I just got a Mark V:35 and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to hurt anything by swapping between 35, 25, and 10 watts while the amp was on. I don't know WHY this would hurt anything, but it just felt like something I should verify. Haha. I did look through the manual and didn't see anything about it, so I assume it's OK.

Thanks in advance.

My Roadster has multi-watt but there are certain channels I leave in 50w and certain I leave in 100w and never really had the need/want to change them on the fly.

I switch to standby 1st and that's what the manual recommends :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back