"Modern" Metal Clip! (Mesa Boogie Mark IV)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibson5413

Reaction score
I received a request earlier tonight to do a song from the band Disturbed so I thought a I would share. I didn't use a boost at all on the guitars and thought it turned out pretty good. I never really listened to them until tonight. I actually like some of their stuff ( even if it is probably more radio friendly metal).

I thought the clip turned out pretty good. There are a couple of mistakes seeing as how I just tried this out tonight for the first time. I might try to do the whole tune including an improvised lead.

What do you think? I noticed that it sounds best if you turn it loud.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/89-Stricken%20%28rough%29.mp3

tone sounded great. the verse chug sounded tighter at 1:35 when it sounded like you only chugged the single string. maybe a tad less bass

lailer75 said:
tone sounded great. the verse chug sounded tighter at 1:35 when it sounded like you only chugged the single string. maybe a tad less bass

Still playing around with the heavy rhythm tones. It definitely sounds clearer when playing on just the one string. Thanks for listening!

Here are the settings if interested.

Lead Drive: 7 (pulled)
Treble: 8
Bass: .5
Mids: 3
Lead Gain: 7 (pulled)
Presence: 3

Graphic EQ: A slight V but pretty flat across the middle actually.

The EQ setting could have been why it sounded like it needed more top end. I actually had the amp setup for my guitar with passive pickups which has a more scooped sounding tone. I essentially just plug and played the mamajama!

Turn bass to 3 and it will be perfect !
Well done. :D

Hey dude I just re-equalized your sample,I added + 3db above 1 Khz.It is perfect,brutal tone.
I think you don't need to lower bass,maybe point your mike a little more to the center of the speaker,just a little to capture more mids and less bass.Or re-equalize it the way I did.
Hey obviously that's my taste but I am just giving my opinion. :D

It sounds great!!!

Awesome Disturbed cover:)

What mic and preamps did you use?

18&Life said:
Turn bass to 3 and it will be perfect !
Well done. :D

Hey dude I just re-equalized your sample,I added + 3db above 1 Khz.It is perfect,brutal tone.
I think you don't need to lower bass,maybe point your mike a little more to the center of the speaker,just a little to capture more mids and less bass.Or re-equalize it the way I did.
Hey obviously that's my taste but I am just giving my opinion. :D

It sounds right in the room. I've got my e609 mid way between the center and edge of the cone. The 57 is on axis facing the center of the cone. I will play around with the mic placement this weekend.

Either way, this was one of my favorite clips I've made (to play). Thanks for listening. I'm always looking to get better at recording.

barneyc4 said:
It sounds great!!!

Awesome Disturbed cover:)

What mic and preamps did you use?

Thanks!

I mixed a Shure 57 with a Sennheiser e609 and ran them through an M-Audio Mobile PRE USB. I am looking at adding a Sennheiser MD 421 to the mix.

Back