MkV Head in!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catthan

Reaction score
Well..
after fighting with my conscience, my finances and my LSS I took the plunge and ordered a used MkV head inbound tomorrow!

So I read most of the threads in each of the 58 MkV pages of this board, watched my vids and I'm ready to join the club tomorrow.
I must also say that you guys are a great folk considering what I sometimes read in other gear forums so it's nice to join this family.

After owning a Badger 30W and a LSS I figured that I need 3 "voices" (clean, Rhythm, Lead), more than 30W, and big bottles;
after hearing some clips and reading here I decided to give the MkV a try and stick to it for some time.
Don't like to rely on pedals much either

we have a pre-gig session at the studio on Sat where I was thinking to bring the MkV and see if I can dial in anything quickly enough in order to use at the gig.
I'm hoping I'll get somewhere and not just waste my mate's time. The LSS is pretty much dialed in and gig-ready anyway..

I'll be running through a 2x12 loaded with WGS ET65 and a vet. 30 which is a nice balance given my taste in mids.

Music: Disco Funk-RnB (clean) but some arrangements call for face-melting leads and tight power chord chunks (not TOO modern though).
In my own time I'm working on some Alen Hinds type of creamy jazzy smooth jazz things for which I think MkI will be a good match for starters

I really hope that with time the MkV will become "my" amp. I'm also hoping to manage to dial it in and use it at Sat's gig straight away..
We'll see, I'll post back.

So, nice to be here and excited for tomorrow!

Best,
T

Congrats... I just joined the Mark V club a few weeks ago, I also ordered a used one and couldn't be happier. It's a pretty amazing piece of equipment and seems capable of producing just about any tone you might be searching for. I spent a long time pouring over the manual and watching videos which I think really helped me get some baseline settings for each channel.

Anyhow, enjoy the new amp! :D

I'm in the club now too. I set mine up in the kitchen and dialed in what I liked in about 20 minutes. I gigged without any difficulty - tweaks were minor and quick.

The amp is easy if you are a boogie guy. I have a great appreciation for it and will see it as a main player in my MANY amps of choice.

Player since 1964...

:love mine.

I played with it for about an hour and it is lovely indeed!

Managed to dial in 3 basic tones which is OK for now and will tweak some tomorrow at the pre-gig jam at the studio.
Will run the board and through the proper cab too.

So yeah, everything seems to work fine so far (I always get really concerned with 2nd hand gear)
The preset on ch. 2 is more subtle but I guess that's the nature of it. It doesn't feel like there's anything wrong.

MkI needs some volume to be appreciated and so does Extreme I think.

Well, I can see how everything will come together once I crank it.
Also pleased with the fact that I can use the geq as a mid boost (like my old Koko) instead of a V.

Overall really happy. I'm trying not to get overexcited just yet as I want to appreciate the amp more at volume and with time.
(Plus I need to practice some jazz for a session tomorrow and don't have time to spend tweaking tonight..)

But it did put a smile on my face and I don't remember when that last happened

Obligatory pic
5550701c-c33a-4024-b6ff-b9f01a0bb6ce_zps11b1c38e.jpg

Congrats on the amp. I have recently joined the Mesa amp club and love the ones I have, but think this (Mark V) might be where I am headed as well. Guess I need to find these threads and videos you guys mentioned.

Enjoy!

congrats here too...you will love it more everyday......and dream theater does rule!!! :)
i watched many vids and reviews before i got mine and was a no brainer....the best vids were of john petrucci and ola eglund...

Hey guys,

thanks.

I got it last Friday, took it to practice Sat afternoon and then straight to the gig!

The venue was a difficult one. Long and kinda empty without enough absorbing material..
But the Boogie was loud, articulate and awesome! And easy to dial in.
Clean and MkIV (leads) were just brilliant!
Crunch will need some dialing in but it was good enough in the mix!

It also sounds quite good with the C90 in my LSS combo shell (chassis is now in a head cab).
With the 2x12 straight to the floor there's tones of bass which I don't mind but the neighbor downstairs did LOL!

Been watching some MkV vids with M. Sfogli, what a player and what a sound.

Out of coincidence, I also found the previous owner here, a nice guy who kept the amp in good shape.
So yeah, I am inspired to say the least. It's the first time after a long time that a piece of gear has made me want to compose and record myself again playing with "the tone". Hope this sensation lasts and even if not, I expect to make a gig workhorse out of it.

Really happy so far

I hear you Mein! I think Crunch may actually be favorite mode right now (after having for almost a year now).

And it's really interesting, I play a ton of boutique stuff at my band's studio but I still always love plugging into my V EVERY time !!!

ENJOY! 8)

I can't get enough of the Mk V. Just came back from rehearsal tonight also, and it's just so freaking articulate and awesome. I'm starting to gravitate toward crunch w. EL34s being my favorite channel at the moment, but I don't know, then I kicked on over the the Mk IV mode for a hot lead line and wavered, haha. In either case the head is a beast! I'm glad for you.

The mark V didn't put a smile on my face until i took it rehearsal. Then i had a big :mrgreen:

Catthan said:
So yeah, I am inspired to say the least. It's the first time after a long time that a piece of gear has made me want to compose and record myself again playing with "the tone". Hope this sensation lasts and even if not, I expect to make a gig workhorse out of it.

Really happy so far

A MKV is like a great single malt - takes time to appreciate, and gets better with age and experience. When you go back to a blend, you find out why nothing will be the same again :mrgreen:

Congrats on the new amp! I love my MK V.

Catthan said:
I must also say that you guys are a great folk considering what I sometimes read in other gear forums so it's nice to join this family.

I have found that also. I've pretty much gone into lurker mode only on that other famous gear forum because of attitudes there.

Music: Disco Funk-RnB (clean) but some arrangements call for face-melting leads and tight power chord chunks (not TOO modern though).
In my own time I'm working on some Alen Hinds type of creamy jazzy smooth jazz things for which I think MkI will be a good match for starters

Nice. Both sound like my kind of music.

Back