MKIII black stripe bought but need some help...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXIStreakIXI

Reaction score
Ok, so I bought a Mark III black stripe about a year ago. I loved it because it was my first tube amp and anything coming out of it sounded good. There is a small problem though. The reverb does not work at all. I mean, the reverb tube lights up. The knob does nothing, though. Are there any possible mods that could have been done to convert the reverb into something else?

Check the plugs for the reverb tank, the grey plug without the funny wings on it goes in the socket closest to the front of the amp and the white plug with the funny wings on it goes in the second socket behind it.

edit:if your plugs don't look like that, just try swapping them and see if it helps, it can't hurt anything.

I've never opened a tube amp before. Obviously I wont plug it in beforehand but I dont really want to mess anything up. I refuse to take it to a technician though. Could there be anything else causing this?

You don't have to open it. The reverb jacks are underneath the chassis.

Why refuse to go to a tech? There are voltages inside that can kill you if you're not careful - if you open the chassis that is.

Well, no chance to get reverb then. Maybe ask the previous owner whether it has been modded or not.

do you have a reverb tank? shiny rectangular thing as wide as the chassis at the bottom of the headshell? Or a tolex bag at the bottom of a combo shell?

Nope, the Reverb tank is completely missing. I was told by the previous owner that the tube in the reverb position wasnt necessary since the reverb didnt work but when I tried it, no sound came out. I didnt leave it on for too long because I knew I'd mess my amp up.

When I first got it, the bass knob on the front of the amp REALLY made a difference in the bass. If I put it up anywhere past 2, explosive bass would pour out of the amp. That happened until my lights turned out. After that, it never happened again.

The amp probably needs some maintenance anyways seeing as how it LOOKS really old. Probably needs new caps among other things.

=/ How much would something like that cost?

LOL, um, yeah, actually you rarely turn the bass past 2 on a MkIII anyway.

It sounds like you may have a few issues with this amp and no offense, you don't seem like someone who should be doing much of their own work. Where do you live? People can probably give suggestions on a tech to take it to.

Yeah you need to start with a Tech. Sounds like your not experienced with Tube Amps at all. That isnt bad we all had to start somewhere.

Yes please undestand inside a Tube Amp there are DC Voltages present even when the Amp is turned off and cord is unplugged. This Voltage can and will stop your heart if you should come into contact with it. Please steer clear of the inside of your amp.

Also Pics would help some of of us know what you really have there.

Good Luck with it. You are the proud owner of an amasing amp.

I'm not ashamed of not knowing how to rewire things on the amp. I respect people who learn this sort of stuff. Electricians and techs who can take care of it. I jsut wanted to know if there was some way I could identify the amp and what it's capable of and what condition it is in without actually taking it to a tech because I dont always have the kind of money to have it serviced. I dont even know if the tech would charge just to look at it so I mostly pass on taking it to someone else and generally read up on it so that I become enlightened myself. As far as wiring and rewiring goes, I had to re-wire my marshall 1960B cab down to 4 ohms because my Mark III doesnt support 16 ohms. I also had to take out the original 1960B input jacks because the switch jacks ere gummed up and the circuit board was fried [I paid 100 bucks for this cab because the guy thought it was broken] So I can technically do things for myself but I wouldnt dive right into messing with the guts of a Mark III. That's just an area I dnt dare to visit yet. I'll get some pics of it tomorrow. I actually bought some tubes today and I have to retube it for tomorrow's rehearsal. Thanks alot for your help, guys. I'll keep you posted.

Back