Mixing different color codes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Jackle

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new with Mesa's tubes, I tried forum search but I'd be glad if I got a clear answer to this matter. My Mark V has four green 6L6 tubes. I have to replace the center pair of tubes, but my local dealer doesn't have tubes with green color code right now in stock. Is it ok to use yellow coded tubes for the center pair, or should all tubes be the same color? If it's safe to mix the codes, is there any possible drawback doing it? Thanks for the answers!

It's perfectly safe to install two pair of different color-coded tubes provided the matching colors are in the paired sockets. So if the Mark V pairs the sockets like earlier Marks (meaning the inner sockets are paired, as are the outer sockets), then you can install Yellows in the inners and Greens in the outers.

It's perfectly safe to install two pair of different color-coded tubes provided the matching colors are in the paired sockets. So if the Mark V pairs the sockets like earlier Marks (meaning the inner sockets are paired, as are the outer sockets), then you can install Yellows in the inners and Greens in the outers.

+1

Thanks. I got new yellow power tubes and there it reads in the tube package. Wonder why my dealer didn't know it when I called them. :-/

Dr.Jackle said:
Thanks. I got new yellow power tubes and there it reads in the tube package. Wonder why my dealer didn't know it when I called them. :-/
Probably Guitar Center? :lol:

Latest posts

Back