Mini Rec work well for 80s rock?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suede11

Reaction score
Forgive me if that's a really stupid question. I'm pretty clueless about recto gain vs. other.

Looking for a more gain/top-end sizzle to compliment my Lonestar Special.
I've always thought of "Recto" as more gain than what I'd normally use.
I know the Mini Rec is versatile though.
I could go the Express + route, but I've already got the cleans/bluesey gain covered by my LSS.
I only play at home. Not apartment-quiet, but not band practice-loud either.
Think I'll be happy with the Mini Rec while I'm Breaking The Chains and Running With The Devil? :D

That is what the gain knob is for. Turn left to activate rock tones!!

Vintage Hi on the 10 watt setting is particularly great for that classic rock crunch! (Or you can just overdrive the pushed mode on channel 1)

I was going to say that you owe it to yourself to at least 'try' an Electra Dyne but the extra horsepower plus the fact that you've got the amazing cleans and blues tones covered, that's too much redundancy.

Do you have a lonestar classic or a lonestar special? If you have a classic and you find that acceptable, you should audition a Dual Recto as well as the Mini. The 'Raw' mode will give you classic rock type tones and you can use another channel for a searing lead tone using 'vintage high gain'. You'll find that the Dual sounds bigger, wider, and meaner than the mini and it is something you may like or hate. I was thinking of selling my Dual and getting a mini and so far, I'm keeping the Dual. You can also check out the Royal Atlantic. It has an on board channel assignable voltage attenuator and it really has that more classic rock crunch with the EL34s.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to not get a mini. I'm simply thinking that trying a couple of alternatives will most likely seal the deal for you.

Thanks YellowJacket.
I've got the Lonestar Special, so amazing cleans are covered, blues to Skynyrd/ZZ Top also covered.
But you've given me some good food for thought.
I can easily audition the RA and DR and compare.
Guess I ruled out the RA based on size and maybe price (smaller amps keep the wife happy, or at least less annoyed :) Although that built-in attenuator is right up my alley.
Never tried a Dual Recto.
That's not too much firepower for home?
Don't want to be the guy who buys a Ferrari and only uses it to go to the grocery store.
Then again, in some ways I'm already that guy, so who cares? Let's rock!

Oh yes, just don't want you to overlook a gem because you were busy thinking about one thing only.

My advice, if you get a large displacement head, run it through a suitable 1 x 12 cab. The 27" Royal Atlantic 1 x 12 extension cab is a great option, one I have had excellent results with. The rectos really start to become beastly when running through a 4 x 12.

Hmm, my brother has a Lonestar Special. He told me the Electra Dyne really beats out the Lonestar for crunch rhythm tones. It's a sort of mid gain vintage marshall inspired crunch with the warmth, creaminess, and saturation of a boogie. The clean on the Electra Dyne is amazing in a fender blackface sort of way but the reverb is not so good as the Lonestar Special. The Lonestar apparently does a better lead tone than the Electra Dyne does, but only marginally so.

With Rectos: The biggest difference between a Dual and a Mini is the girth you achieve from a 6L6 power section. They are somewhat louder but since the tone is generated by the preamp, this is not as big of a problem. Once again, a suitable 1 x 12 will help immensely with keeping the volume under control. It's really a difference in the signature sound between a EL-84 based platform and a 6L6 based platform. My guess is that when you try both, you'll probably love one much more than the other. My money is on the mini but we'll see. Try the Vintage Hi Gain mode (Channel 2) on the mini set to 10 watts and tell me what you think!

Royal Atlantic: I can't help but think this is a great option. It is an EL34 based head and the clean is much more gnarly on it. The Vintage Lo mode is surprisingly similar to the Vintage Lo on the Electra Dyne, full of plexi goodness. From all accounts, the Vintage Hi has more gain than the Electra Dyne and is really somewhere between a Mark V and a Recto with that EL-34 crunch. You can run the head in 45watt mode and click on the attenuator to drop the output to something similar to the mini with very little attenuation. -4 db in 45 watt and -8db in 100 watt should get you into the same territory as the mini set to 25watt dynawatt power. The 10watt mode is slightly quieter but it's really hair splitting.
I think a Royal Atlantic with the 27" 1 x 12 extension cab may be a great option.

You'll simply have to try a few things and see what you really want. Of course, cost will be a factor AND the Mini is a great and very portable amp. Everyone who has tried it suggests pairing it up with a 2 x 12 rectocab so I'd suggest trying that combination. The 1 x 12 cab sounds a bit boxy so the 2 x 12 may be your best option with that head.

Anyway, best of luck and HAVE FUN!!!

Thanks, YellowJacket. I really appreciate all the advice.
I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
Cheers.

Update: Just scored a barely-used Mini Rec on ebay.
Loving it so far for all things 80s (and 70s, and 90s for that matter).
You were right, YellowJacket, Vintage 10 watt mode is where I hang out the most so far.
Love the rich, slightly-squishy distortion. Harmonics fly off the strings here. Also digging Clean Pushed mode. Alternating between a Jensen Electric Lightning 12 in an Epiphone Valve Jr. 1x12 cab and my Lonestar 1x12 with C90. Both sound good, but Mesa cab/speaker has more dimension (bigger cab, better build, etc).
Read about trying a Tung-Sol in V1, so may get around to it, but pretty happy with it as-is.
Between the Mini and LSS I should be good forever now, and never want another amp, ever.
Yeah, sure. :D

Congrats on the Mini Rec! I love the Vintage mode as well, but do yourself a favor and put it on "Clean" - not Pushed, Clean - and DIME THE GAIN AND MASTER on 10 watts. Just turn them both up all the way, and let me know what that does for you. To me, this is where the amp breathes fire.

Thanks guys.
And thanks for the tip about diming gain and master in Clean mode KiwiJoe.
I'll try it tonight (or maybe tomorrow, when my wife's out).

Back